Whats in your first aid kit?

kfili

Lil-Rokslider
What do you guys have in a first aid kit and what is the application?
i.e backountry hunting I take XYZ, tree stand hunting I take whatever, truck camping is ABC, day hike I take DEF, and so on.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just backpacking (not hunting) my fak is about 2 oz; when hunting it’s closer to 7 oz as the chances rise of a bleeding incident. I usually increase the amount of NSAID’s as the trip length increases.

I’ll post up details on mine with a pic when I get home.

kpbrown31

FNG
Following...building one myself and I was considering a medium sized Kuiu zip dry bag, but curious what others are using for bags and the size as well.

So far my kit has band aids, sutures, gauze, tegaderm adhesive dressings, tape, general medications, triple abx ointment, quick clot powder/dressings....that's all that comes to mind at the moment. Will add a tourniquet, water purification tablets, and some other items.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Found an earlier post of mine

I posted a thread on this bandage
https://www.narescue.com/nar-mini-responder-4-in-etd.html
CAT tourniquet
QuikClot combat bandage
4x4's x 3
roll gauze x1
Steri-strip wound closures
small irrigator (it's a plastic hobby "syringe)
single app triple antibiotic x 2
few asst bandaids
Leukotape easily the best blister/hot spot defense I’ve found. Of late I’ve been carrying about a 1/5 th of a roll flattened. I can use the tape to help immobilize an ankle or the like.
sliver tweezers (Uncle Bill's)
meds- a couple of old fashion aspirin (heart attack), immodium x4, benadryl x4, acetaminophen and ibuprofen x length of trip

I put mine in a small dry bag from Sea to Summit.

Redwing

Lil-Rokslider

CAT tourniquet
QuikClot combat bandage
4x4's x 3
roll gauze x1
few asst bandaids
Leukotape easily the best blister/hot spot defense I’ve found. Of late I’ve been carrying about a 1/5 th of a roll flattened. I can use the tape to help immobilize an ankle or the like.
meds- a couple of old fashion aspirin (heart attack), immodium x4, benadryl x4, acetaminophen and ibuprofen x length of trip

That's a great list, and very close to what I've settled on over the years. I store mine in a gallon ziploc, but a real dry bag is probably the smarter move.

I should add a CAT tourniquet. The irrigator is also very smart. Thanks for the rundown.

In addition to the usual stuff For a multi day trip I carry a little bottle of liquid bandage. It’s become a joke now that somehow when field dressing I always seem to nick myself, works great, antiseptic seals everything up and can go back to work in a couple minutes when it dries and I don’t have to deal with a bandaid on my finger getting wet and bloody. Also I usually have the tiny size tube of oragel for the surprise toothache, which has happened and sucks.

RyanC

WKR

CAT tourniquet
QuikClot combat bandage
4x4's x 3
roll gauze x1
few asst bandaids

This is a great list @mtwarden...... Very few differences with mine.
I use the Emergency Dressing (FKA Israeli Dressing) instead of the one from NA Rescue
I add Benzoin Tincture - Hard to get steri strips to stick without it
20gauge IV catheter to attach to syringe for irrigation
Ace Wrap
SAM Splint
I roll my Leukotape around a gutted and shortened Pen. I also wrap my lighter with it for extra.
I carry it in an OR Backcountry Organizer (Which apparently they don't make anymore??).

- Ryan

Duct tape and super glue.... Amazing what you can do with that. I am only quasi joking, although I do carry a few bandaids, gauze, some surgical tape.

While road hunting I keep my rapid response bag in the truck which has more intervention items. Where I hunt is usually a warzone.

Backpack for base camp gets:

Quick Clot
hyfin vent
3 CAT tourniquets
Israeli bandage
gauze
triangular bandage
BVM
iGel
Glucometer
oral glucose
space blanket
rite in rain kit

I'm planning on adding smoke to my kit this year so I can land a rotor if need be.

EDIT: I'm an EMT so a couple of these things aren't available for everybody.

Last edited:

mxgsfmdpx

WKR

CAT tourniquet
QuikClot combat bandage
4x4's x 3
roll gauze x1
few asst bandaids

This is gold right here. My first aid kit is always way too heavy, especially on longer hunts.

Good to know that I can replace my mole skin with leukotape, never tried that.

Would the quickclot be a replacement for the small thing of superglue I keep in there? I used superglue for cuts that I can't get to stop bleeding and then once dried out, wrap in bandage.

Mine all goes in a quart ziplok bag to try and save weight.

NB7

WKR

CAT tourniquet
QuikClot combat bandage
4x4's x 3
roll gauze x1
few asst bandaids

That's a great list, I have almost exactly the same stuff except for the irrigator, I never thought of that.
I also carry tweezers like you mention here, much easier to pick out splinters or foreign bodies with these than the tip of a knife.
I carry the same small thing of meds too, but I do keep an emergency Percocet in there just in case

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is gold right here. My first aid kit is always way too heavy, especially on longer hunts.

Good to know that I can replace my mole skin with leukotape, never tried that.

Would the quickclot be a replacement for the small thing of superglue I keep in there? I used superglue for cuts that I can't get to stop bleeding and then once dried out, wrap in bandage.

Mine all goes in a quart ziplok bag to try and save weight.

I'd keep the superglue for smaller nicks/cuts, quick clot more for bleeding that is tough to stop. The stuff I'm using is gauze that is impregnated with quick clot and you would pack it into a wound. Several YouTube vids out there showing this.

Sawtoothsteve

Lil-Rokslider
Good list. I add a few nyquil capsuls for sleep if not feeling well, and 4 prescription pain killers. Could keep you from shock if major trauma (personal experince).

Wags

WKR
I carry most of what's on these lists. The one thing you may want to consider is Coban. It's a very universal wrap that clings to itself even if you are sweaty, bloody or hairy. You can use it to "tape" down a bandage or use it as a compression wrap and you'll get less movement out of it then you would a traditional Ace style bandage. I used it for years as a Medic and I wouldn't be caught without it.

Some other simple things, a small plastic mirror in case you have to treat yours own eye or face injury.

Vented chest seals.

Anti Diarrheal, baby aspirin & Benadryl added for meds.

Whatever it is you carry PLEASE make sure you train on it. I know a lot of my guys bought and started carrying SWAT T's and when I pressure tested them spontaneously on them none of them could get them applied correctly using their non dominant hand (1 handed). For me, that's a no go. If you carry a CAT, buy a cheap one on EBAY to TRAIN with, not for lifesaving. Same goes for the rest of your equipment. It never hurts to be over prepared because when the moment comes you do not want to be scrambling and trying to recall information.

One last thing I do is clearly mark my first aid Dry Bag and put it where I can get to it with 1 hand. Mine has reflective tape & Cat eye glued to it so I can find it in the dark easily as well.

If you hunt with partners let them know where you store your IFAK in case you aren't able to communicate to them. I don't rely on others to have what I may need. I do this with my boys (12 & 10) as well. Those little things can matter when seconds count.

Big thing to remember in a serious (read life threatening) situation is that no matter what happened, you very likely cannot fix it. Pack with the mentality of trying to make it less bad.
Most states offer wilderness emergency medical courses. Alaska has ETT (emergency trauma tech) certification training that teaches you lots of good basic life saving skills.

tonym123

FNG
Does anyone know of any good pre maid first aid kits?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk