What’s in your Guide Lid?

mlgc20

WKR
If I have a pack that has a lid, the first thing I do is remove it. I would rather fit everything in the pack itself or its integrated pockets. Lids weigh anywhere from 8-12 ounces. Excessive weight for just a pocket IMO.

fatlander

WKR
I use my Sherman the way most guys use their lid. Food, first aid, and toiletries. I mind the extra weight less because it doubles as a beaver tail load sling. The nice thing about the Sherman is I unclip it at night and hang it with the rest of my food when in g-bear country. Probably doesn’t make a ton of difference but it gives me piece of mind that everything with interesting smells to the bear is hung and wasn’t in my actual pack that’s at camp with me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love my guide lid. Carries my rain jacket, snacks, battery pack, inreach mini, gloves, and hat or beanie. Quick stash place for me when I’m hiding somewhere and have my pack off. I’ve used the GL as a smallish pack to run up and check a draw and to carry a bunch of bladders and Nalgene bottles to the creek for refilling. It’s way too valuable to me to leave off my pack.

Pawvbow

FNG
I use a guide kid on my hoodlum back east here and keep all the same stuff In it as mentioned above, but the main reason I run the guide lid is that if I’m going to hunt a stand multiple days in a row I can stash my big pack with all necessary cold weather gear in a garbage bag over night and wear out just the lid with my sweated up shirt in it from the morning hike in, headlight, thermos, and extra shells. Then next morning on hike back in all I’m carrying is second shirt to replace sweeter up shirt,thermos full of coffee and shells again.

may not be an issue for some, but i don't like the height a lid adds unless it's necessary. with kifaru, i will go with add on pockets over a lid... one thing i like about kifaru bags, i don't need a lid to have quick access storage. i don't like my head bumping into it, and i don't like trying to duck under branches with 6" of extra pack sticking up unless there is a legit need for it.

Water bladder in Velcro pocket along with dirt bag and sawyer filter. Snacks ,headlamp ,gps, phone, extra pair of glasses ,TP ,and camera in main pocket .Tags drivers license ,truck key in chamber pocket.

Rite now everything.
For shed hunting im running a water bottle on hip.
A cargo net and a guide lid and a small hip pouch.
The guide lids are pretty big. I could easily do a far weather day hunt with this.
Puffy, lunch, 2nd water bottle, kill kit, emergency kit.
Headlamp in hip pouch with calls.

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
Mostly use my muskeg guide lid for rain gear storage. Usually attached so its not on top as a lid, more hang down like a 3rd large pocket resting over other 2 attached pockets.

For day/truck hunts, If chance of rain, it goes on the 22MagG2 pack. For backcountry hunts, goes on the Reckoning with rain gear, sheep tarp & other items packed into it.

Marble

WKR
I love mine. During day hunting I take it off and put it inside my pack with lunch, gloves, chew and other stuff I'll need daily.

When back packing, it holds my bow or whatever and serves as a lid.

I love it

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I love mine. During day hunting I take it off and put it inside my pack with lunch, gloves, chew and other stuff I'll need daily.

When back packing, it holds my bow or whatever and serves as a lid.

I love it

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
That’s a good idea... I like lids for storage and access, I just don’t like them adding height to my pack while hunting unless I have a reason for it.

throwing the lid in the pack while hunting solves that

when I do have a lid on, I have the stuff I need easy access to... head lamps, snacks, and the rest of the stuff that is used frequently

TheGDog

WKR
Contemplating a Guide Lid for my Hoodlum pack. What are the pro’s and con’s with this lid?
Snacks, TP+Wipees, Garmini inReach Mini, 2 headlamps, In-Ear EarPro, some extra batteries, 2 extra Havalon blades, Extra MeatBag, 2nd pair of glasses.

IF doing predators, the lanyard of mouth calls and remote of eCaller and 1 handheld eCaller I have. I *can* fit eCaller into it if I want to, and carry Mojo on an outside pocket of main pack so don't need to undue main pack straps. For clarification I have to large pouches on my hipbelt so transferred the smaller of the two I originally had on hipbelt to piggyback on the lid. Thats hold EarPro+ 2nd Mycro headlamp + sometimes I'll put the eCaller remote in there instead.

Love having the guid lid on! Help keep the pack from wanting to fall over when you take it off and stand it upright, if ya flip the guide lid over to the frame side. Sorta acts like a kickstand, hehe.

drmatara

FNG
Always have food , TP, Puffy, snacks, dromlite, knives, water filter, mittens, extra layer or two. Depending on the time of year/weather.

TheGDog

WKR
I use my Sherman the way most guys use their lid. Food, first aid, and toiletries. I mind the extra weight less because it doubles as a beaver tail load sling. The nice thing about the Sherman is I unclip it at night and hang it with the rest of my food when in g-bear country. Probably doesn’t make a ton of difference but it gives me piece of mind that everything with interesting smells to the bear is hung and wasn’t in my actual pack that’s at camp with me.
I can appreciate that, for sure. Made the mistake of not stashing my food over here in AngelesNF and got woke up at 3am from smelling "the funk"... somewhere outside the tent. I smacked at the side of the tent to startle whatever it might have been. Then did a slow 360 check with Revolver and light after unzipping the door. Damn it... didn't see or hear a damn thing! Every time I started to nod back off that night my brain wouldn't let me and said "WTF are you doing!? There's Bears Nearby!" I was a mess the next morning from no sleep.

Ranger04

FNG
The lid is also great to store gear when you are packing out meat in the main compartment. I prefer not to use the meat shelf. I don’t care for the weight of the pack so far out from my body.

10ringer

WKR
Guide lid is great for organizing items in a tent when you hike in and set up base camp. Mine stays in the tent and usually holds spare items like socks, back up wind check bottle, spare release, battery charger, bow repair kit, spare broadheads, diaphragms, face paint, hygiene items, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk