What’s in your Guide Lid?

TheGDog

WKR
and usually holds spare items like socks, back up wind check bottle, spare release, battery charger, bow repair kit, spare broadheads, diaphragms, face paint, hygiene items, etc.

Oh wow... people bring spare releases? Do they fail often or something? What's the rationale there?

bow repair kit? Hmmph. What's contained in that kit? What's it's purpose?

Sorry to pester with Questions. I've only had 1 bow kill so far, so to hear you mention this, I want to ask some questions and learn.

as.ks.ak

WKR
I use mine so much, I’d be heart broken if it got lost or stolen. Rifle rest, day pack on an external frame when hauling bear bait, fishing backpack, whatever. It’s one of my favorite pieces of my whole kit.

I posted a few pics with side shots of loaded packs with a loaded guide lid. For those people saying they don’t want a lid because it raises the height of their pack....it’s negligible, and for the versatility it brings to the table, that 1-2” that the lid sticks up above my frame, not even beginning to be a noticeable issue.

If you run the kifaru extension straps on the topside of the guide lid you can drop it down the pack even further if you’d like. Running the guide lid and the grab it is an awesome way to strap all kinds of shit to the outside of a kifaru when you’re hauling meat and all of your camp.

My lid normally has my puffy, digiscoping kit, snacks for the day, drink mix, gloves/beanie, eating utensil, first aid, emergency blanket, and game bags. I use it as an approach bag for final stalks. Drop my pack, turn the guide lid into a backpack and roll.

3d60422c2fe5a615a0ba4f0fcdfbfe08.jpg

afd3f857424c09104cbf1692f2629cb0.jpg

e7284e3e0aa4d7fe1daae206721cb360.jpg

a57deba658c69e69ef60aa97e3e8d9d8.jpg

bf4757f92bf64e2c54217c3a5332cd41.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slim9300

WKR
If I have a pack that has a lid, the first thing I do is remove it. I would rather fit everything in the pack itself or its integrated pockets. Lids weigh anywhere from 8-12 ounces. Excessive weight for just a pocket IMO.

I gutted my Guide lid to make it one big pocket only. If I recall correctly it is only about 5 ounces. When I already have the 7K Muskeg, there is no lighter way to gain additional space. Not sure on the measured amount of space, but it’s quite large. Maybe 500-750 cubes?

In response to David’s post... I use mine for my rain gear primarily to keep it handy and to not have to use a dry bag when it’s going on and off. I also like to use it for any clothes layers that need to go on and off constantly. The lid makes them very convenient/accessible.

When I am packing out an animal, every cube seems to become important. The lid may not be in use for the trip in (unless it’s carrying a bag of Doritos), but it’s certainly packed full during the trip out heavy.

as.ks.ak

WKR
Which manufacturers frame is this? Will one of Kifaru's large-sized bags like the EMR II fit to this?

It’s a Barney’s Frame. With enough sewing I imagine you could attach anything to it....but no it’s def not “ready for a bag” it’d take a lot of work to make it real secure.

10ringer

WKR
Oh wow... people bring spare releases? Do they fail often or something? What's the rationale there?

bow repair kit? Hmmph. What's contained in that kit? What's it's purpose?

Sorry to pester with Questions. I've only had 1 bow kill so far, so to hear you mention this, I want to ask some questions and learn.

Bow repair kit is just extra d-loop, some serving, a peep and a few common Allen keys. Doesn’t weigh much and with multiple guys running around with bows all week it’s good to have.
Hand held releases are easy to misplace or fall out of a pocket. Get into a 30 minute calling match with an elk where you relocate 10 different times and you’ll know what I mean.

This is for remote hunting where I don’t plan on coming back to the truck for a few days. If I were day hunting these items are in the truck.