What's missing from my setup?

Aventus

Lil-Rokslider
This will be for 3rd season North West Colorado (Nov 13 - Nov19).

What I currently have:
-Base Layers (FL LS Wick, FL LS Llano, FL SS Llano, Badlands SS merino blend)
-Mid Layers (FL Klamath, FL Chama QZ, Patagonia puffy vest)
-Outerwear Top (FL Uncompahgre Jacket)
-Outerwear Bottom (FL Obsidians, Prana Zions, FL Uncompahgre Pants)

I know it looks like it, but I am not committed to only First Lite. So, don't feel like you can only recommend FL gear.

I feel like I need to out a hard shell or soft shell. And also a better pant for winter time. What do you think?

What I've been thinking about adding:
- FL Corrugate Foundry
- FL Boot top zip base layer (Either Kiln or Furnace)
- Kuiu Strong Fleece Hybrid 280 (Upgrade and or back up/rotation piece to the Klamath?)
- Kuiu Peleton 118 SS or LS (All my base layers are merino. Thinking about adding a synthetic to the rotation)
- Kuiu Axis Hybrid (Or FL Corrugate or Catalyst jacket?)
- Kuiu Elements Jacket (Thinking about this in a solid because I will also have use for it outside of hunting)

What do you guys think? What's missing for a late season hunt? I purposely left out headwear, gloves, socks and underwear. That's taken care of. We will be day hunting out of a camp. So, these aren't items that I will need to have in my pack. Extras and rotational pieces will be left and camp. The only clothing Item that would be in my pack are the puffy jacket, puffy pants and if I get a soft or hard shell jacket.

Thanks!

A bigger puffy jacket, and a hard shell.

My late season upper half layering looks like this:
first lite wick hoody, no name quarter zip fleece(thin), kuiu peloton 200 quarter zip hoody, puffy jacket, Kuiu Chugach rain jacket. No name gloves. Various hats.

Neck gaiters or facemasks help a lot as well.

The puffy is really for when you stop to glass. You need lots of down if it's ten degrees and windy. That unpronounceable doesn't have a ton of down in it.

Big Ern

WKR
Kuiu axis hybrid pants would be great.
Hard shell Inwould gonwith would be kuiu yukon (Or chugach if want to cut some weight).

A bigger puffy jacket, and a hard shell.

My late season upper half layering looks like this:
first lite wick hoody, no name quarter zip fleece(thin), kuiu peloton 200 quarter zip hoody, puffy jacket, Kuiu Chugach rain jacket. No name gloves. Various hats.

Neck gaiters or facemasks help a lot as well.

The puffy is really for when you stop to glass. You need lots of down if it's ten degrees and windy. That unpronounceable doesn't have a ton of down in it.
Hey there!

Just had a quick question about a hard shell, still kinda new to the hunting community so please excuse my question if it comes across odd. Is there a hard shell that is built to repel water/wind break but still trap heat with the accompany of a puffy jacket?

Thanks in advance,

- WJ

4ester

WKR
I think your gonna be cold if your hunting style is glass….spot and stalk.

Merino is great stuff, but it’s not nearly as warm as a good synthetic. Consider adding a Sitka Heavyweight Hoody.

The Uncompargre is a good jacket, but I only use mine for early season. I’d look at a FL Chamberlin, Sitka WS Puffy, or Kifaru LPP jackets as well as matching pants. I did take my woobie in place of down pants on my last cold hunt and it worked great.

A good hard shell rain jacket over the top will keep everything dry and cut the wind.

Really depends on the weather forecast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey there!

Just had a quick question about a hard shell, still kinda new to the hunting community so please excuse my question if it comes across odd. Is there a hard shell that is built to repel water/wind break but still trap heat with the accompany of a puffy jacket?

Thanks in advance,

- WJ
I don't quite follow. A 3 layer gore tex rain jacket will block most wind. As far as I can tell from personal experience, the more breathable the rain gear, the less it blocks the wind. But any rain jacket will block the wind substantially.

woods89

WKR
In the spirit of full candor, I've done a 4th season hunt one time, which was two years ago, so take my thoughts with a grain of salt, as years can be very different. I do have a 3rd season tag for northern CO again this year. We day hunt as well. I'll list what I took last time and what I'm taking for this trip.

Last time

Bottom
Black ovis 200 wt merino base layer
Propper 97% nylon pants
OR Croc gaiters
Naturehike down pants (cheap off Amazon, and very effective once my wife sewed zippers in the legs.)
I think I had some cheap rain pants as well but never put them on.

Core4Element merino base layer for the hike in, then change to a Redhead ECWCS fleece baselayer top.
Sitka midweight 1/4 zip fleece
Fleece vest
Kryptec Aquillo down hooded jacket
Had a inexpensive rain jacket along as well but don't remember using it.

What I plan for this trip

Bottom
Kuiu Peleton 97 zip off base layer. (plan to put on once I get to the glassing location.
Kuiu Attack pants
OR Croc gaiters
Naturehike down pants

Kuiu Peleton 97 hoodie
Sitka midweight fleec 1/4 zip
Black Diamond Alpine Start windshirt
Kryptec Aquillo down hooded jacket
Rain jacket may get packed some days dependent on forecast

As mentioned above, a layered system of gloves, neck gaiters, hats, and hoods that let you manage warmth while moving are quite important to me. I sweat a lot and have to really stay on top of things to keep from getting soaked. I did quite a bit of pre dawn hiking last time with temps in the 20s and the wind blasting in just that 200 wt baselayer top and bottom, nylon pants, and an orange vest and still got quite sweaty.

I personally want down gear top and bottom for that time of year, for when I'm stationary.

I would anticipate most hikes in/out this time to be wearing Attacks and no base layer on the bottom and the Peleton 97 hoodie and Alpine Start windshirt on top.

We'll see, maybe I will freeze.......

Like the other said, I would add a real cold weather puffy like the Sitka WS kelvin it the FL chamberlain. Then I would add a hard rain shell more for wind...that time of year I also find myself wearing my rain shell and base layer to hike in at times just to cut the wind, especially in NW Colorado.

Gloves; have you looked at the kuiu super pro or whatever they are called glassing mittens? They are awesome. Put a hand warmer in each one and when you stop to glass slide those on and you will be thanking me.

Any good hard shell will repel wind and moisture as well as help your puffy trap heat. I personally use a Kings XKG rain jacket at the moment, it’s not a high end hard shell but it works for me when thrown over my Patagonia nano puff. Down to the teens when glassing in blowing snow. Though I wouldn’t mind having a $300 hard shell I do fine with my $130 shell for mid October in Wyoming for Elk. Same combination has worked for me in November in the mountains so long as I’m wearing a solid base and mid layer and not sitting on the bare ground. Do you have a sit pad? That’s nearly as important as any other piece of cold weather gear in my opinion. That cold ground sucks a lot of heat. Doesn’t need to be a heavy or expensive sit pad. Just a bit of closed cell foam like a couple of sections of a Z-rest sleeping pad (what I use).
Hey there!

Thanks in advance,

- WJ

Last edited: