What's next size up from 6.5 CM

smby

FNG
6.5 CM served me well in the past five years. Harvest 4 coues deer and 2 cow elks, range from 300 to 550, all with one shot and quick death. I am now looking for a bigger caliber that has excellent BC and terminal energy. I am planning to use it for Bear, Bison and Moose. I'd like hear some suggestions, especially from someone had success on these ultimate big games.

OP
S

smby

FNG
There are two herds in AZ, house rock and Raymond. It's extremely difficult to draw and it's once in a lifetime tag.

There are two herds in AZ, house rock and Raymond. It's extremely difficult to draw and it's once in a lifetime tag.
I know that well. Been waiting 10 years myself and likely will never draw.

May you have better luck than I.

OP
S

smby

FNG
My friend drew a tag two years ago, with only 3 points( and he drew a bull elk tag the following year). We ended up harvest a nice bison. You never know...

300 win mag. I use the 180 sierra gamechanger bullets with a BC of .515. The recoil is very manageable with a muzzle break if you are concerned about that. My Mesa has less felt recoil than my 308 with no brake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Next sizeup from a 6.5 creed would be larger caliber, standard bolt face short actions:
7mm-08

Next would be Long action standard bolt face:
270 win
280/280AI
30-06

Next would be short action magnum bolt face:
270wsm
7saum
300wsm

Next would be true magnums
7mm mag
300 Win Mag
300 PRC
300 weatherby mag
300 rum

Some in betweeners like 284win exist as well

That’s a basic short list of the main calibers grouped into some simple categories.

If you don’t hand load and want something pretty standard I’d look at a 30-06 or 300 win mag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B23

WKR
For a one gun do all something chambered in 300 WSM is a great choice. The 300WSM is well suited for up to the 215's. It doesn't shoot a hat full of powder so they perform well in shorter barreled configurations and recoil isn't bad, especially when using a good brake.

If you want to go with something custom in a wildcat cartridge Alex Wheeler has a 300 SAUM Improved that shoots pretty damn good. You'll have to be able to reload for something like that but Alex has the dies available and I'm sure he would have some really good starting loads as well.

Gila

WKR
6.8 Western or 27 Nosler is the next step up from the creed for very large bodied big game animals. For harvesting a one ton animal, the 33 Nosler is hard to beat. You would like any of these mentioned cartridges for the same reason you like the creed: designed for bullets that are heavy for caliber with high BCs and deliver bone smashing energy at long ranges.

I hunt with a 270 win and 300 win mag, both I shoot very well and am confident that I can harvest any game animal I choose to. Having said that I am going to rebarrel my Tikka .270 with a 1:9 twist or go to a 280 AI just because. I really enjoy shooting my 300 win mag and it has all of the horse power I want or would ever need.

OP
S

smby

FNG
For a one gun do all something chambered in 300 WSM is a great choice. The 300WSM is well suited for up to the 215's. It doesn't shoot a hat full of powder so they perform well in shorter barreled configurations and recoil isn't bad, especially when using a good brake.

If you want to go with something custom in a wildcat cartridge Alex Wheeler has a 300 SAUM Improved that shoots pretty damn good. You'll have to be able to reload for something like that but Alex has the dies available and I'm sure he would have some really good starting loads as well.
I am really intrigued by 300 SAUM but worry about ammo options. I do hand load all my 6.5 CM ammo but not too fond of the process. Thank for the info, I will look into Alex Wheeler's website.