What’s old enough?

My son will be 3 right about the last week of season, would he be too young to potentially see a buck harvested? We watch hunting shows and he always says “they’re going to cut him in half” when they show the hunter with the animal. It would be limited to road hunting either walking or driving with my dad and I. I k ow they make hearing protection appropriate for him so that would be a must but, basically I want to hear from those who introduced there kids similarly.

Smithb9841

Lil-Rokslider
My daughter was with me last year at 4 when I shot my buck. And she was all about it. She was right next to me giving me instructions how to gut it out lol. I think the earlier you get them around it the better. My daughter has been talking about going back with me all year and keeps asking When deer season will
Start lol

JP100

WKR
my eldest boys 3 and half and shot his first wallaby the other day, I was shooting rabbits about that age aswell. He has been helping me cut up meat/process animals since he was tiny. he loves it.

It all depends where hes at, but its definitely not bad for young kids to go hunting.

kiddogy

WKR
and if he don't like harvesting deer , you can have him stay home and kill the garden.

MadDawg

Lil-Rokslider
I mean I was into gutting deer and plucking turkey feathers from at least 2... I don't understand people being scared of blood. I always thought it was awesome lol. I also killed my first turkey at 5 and my first deer at 6, BUT I also have no kids, im only 19. So will I raise my kid the same way I was raised, yes but I haven't proved that yet :LOL:. And hey, if they aren't interested, it will actually make them hate it to force them to go, ask some of my friends lol.

Anyways, rant over.:)

nodakian

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Mine were 2 1/2 and 4 when they held things open while I gutted deer, and they got to watch my wife and me stalk and shoot a couple more. No big deal now. Now, at 11 1/2 and 13, one LOVES hunting ("Dad, put me in for every tag I can get!"), the other doesn't care either way--just their personalities. Whether they continue throughout their lives is up to them, but they'll at least have some skills and knowledge so they can make educated decisions.

Sooner

Lil-Rokslider
My son has been around dead deer, dove, ducks since he was born. He's always been there when I gut/clean them. He was 4 in a tree stand with me when he seen the first one get shot. To say he was excited was an understatement. Last season he killed his first two deer. A nice buck and doe. He's ate up with it now. It's never to early IMO

cprepula

FNG
I have had my 3 year old pose for pictures with me and harvested deer. He is always very curious. I think explaining the process is valuable, so they understand from an early age the reasoning and values in it.

The younger the better, my son has grown up handling parts of dead animals, watching them shot and processed, sleeping in floorless shelters among the bears, wolves and ticks, facing off with bears at 30 yards and not moving a muscle...I think he simply doesn't know any better that some kids (and plenty of adults) would be freaking out at all of that. I had been a bit hesitant to take him out too early but I'm happy I never paid much attention to that train of thought, my only regret is that I didn't take him out sooner.

2faHGZW.jpg

Last edited:

BFR

WKR
My my grandson was with me while he was still in a car seat. When he was 18 months old he was with me while I stalked into range and a clear shot. As I took aim he said”don’t miss Papa I wants some boom boom steak”. After the shot the deer ran into the brush and I told my grandson we’d have to track him down. He was like a bloodhound on that trail and when we got to the buck he stuck his finger in the entry hole and told me “he has an owee “ and held up his finger all bloody. Now he is my main hunting buddy, next to my wife. Oh, just make sure he has fun and wears hearing protection. He’s the one on my shoulder and my granddaughter is next, she got her first buck last season at 10.

Jbake108

FNG
Take the time and effort to bring them along as soon as possible and you’ll be thankful down the road you did. It ain’t easy to get my son dressed while he’s still sleeping or make sure he’s warm and always has a snack but now that he’s 6 things are getting easier and more enjoyable. I look forward to when he’s old enough to hunt himself and I’ll think back to all the effort it took to get him prepared.

Great suggestions here - I’ll second the guys that mention getting them involved in all kinds of harvest and year-round. Garden, fruit trees, fishing, smaller critters, and bigger critters. Once they know food doesn’t come from a grocery store, they understand where we fit in the food chain. All three of mine have been a part of it since they can remember.

Really depends on the kid . And you would know better than anyone else . Take them on short hunts . They get bored cold or whatever it’s time to leave . Don’t push it or they may dislike bit for a long time.

Tyeguy

Lil-Rokslider
I started taking my kid out at 5. I guess it just depends on when the kid is interested in going. I can remember my Dad taking me out at an early age. I am so grateful he did, otherwise, I don't know if I would of picked up hunting later in life.

Ctitus25

Lil-Rokslider
I started taking my son when he was 5, he witnessed me kill a buck then he was 7 and I got him to pass hunters ed when he was 9. Start em young and if they like it it's super fun. Just remember that they need to move around a lot, make lots of noise and get cold easily.

ELKhunter60

Lil-Rokslider
Ben was three when I started taking him turkey hunting and 5 when he started sitting up in a tree stand with me. Every kid is different. My thought was just making sure they were at an age where they were safe for me to have around weapons while also making sure they didn't get too bored if deer or whatever didn't come by too often. It all worked out for us. He moved to Bozeman 2 years ago, works for the Sherriff department. We trout fish and elk hunt together now every year. He's my best friend.

Blueticker1

Lil-Rokslider
I started taking my oldest at 3, he was with me on an 8 mile bear race that summer and a 3 mile deer pack out that same fall, he has been hooked ever since, he killed his first deer last year and quartered it up and packed half he was 13. My youngest has been with me hunting and trapping since he was 10 months old he is only 2 years old and has been on multiple big game kills and a lot of trapped animals. Every morning when we are hunting or checking traps he is always ready to go and hasn't yet gotten bored. My father was taking me pretty much from the time I was born he'd take me with him on his horse with a pack string. Taking kids is considerably more hassle but it's a very worthwhile hassle. Start em young and teach em safety believe it or not they comprehend more than we give them credit. The best hunts in my life have been with my kids. Also they are around harvests of all types year round we raise and butcher our own lamb, beef, pork, and vegetables. Its pretty funny when we go to a restaurant and they tell you that their steak doesn't have any flavor

Last edited:

RS3579

WKR
I took my 1st son on afternoon squirrel hunts at the age of 2. It’s warmer in afternoon. Dressed him to keep warm. When he was 3 we went on am and pm squirrel hints. He fell a sleep in the woods sometimes. I’ll do the exact same thing with my youngest son (2) now. The oldest is almost 4 now. This past weekend we went spring turkey. He was so excited to get up at 5am. We were successful at harvesting a nice bird. He saw the whole thing unfold. You have to make it comfortable for them. It’s never to early to start in my opinion. The hearing protection is a must. The model for a kid fits well. I got 2 pair at Cabela’s. Good luck. I hope they enjoy it as much as you do.