What's some gear you shouldn't need to get the top of the line?

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Expensive hunting shorts, kuiu, Firstlite, others? Maybe I'm missing something but I can't figure out what they do better than the average lightweight cargo shorts.

CCH

WKR
I find packs and boots to be the last area to compromise as they determine your ability to get you and your gear where you need to be. That said, there are great older packs available used for a fraction of the cost of a new pack that will do a great job. I'm a big fan of Sierra Trading Post. With their ceaseless barrage of 20% to 25% off offers and wide selection of quality boots (among many other things,) I can generally get set relatively cheaply. Optics are right up there, but they have come a long way and even middle of the road binoculars and scopes provide very good service. Like everything else, not worrying about model years helps save money too. Bargains abound on quality gear if you shop around and don't have to have the latest and greatest (bows consistently astound me -- compounds seem to spoil quicker than bananas.)

So to the question of what doesn't need to be top of the line. In big ticket items rifles lead the way. There are lot of decent value models out there that work just fine. Not the route I took, but I went the one rifle route a while ago and wanted to really commit. The range of scopes has gotten mind boggling over the years. My Leupold VX-3 (bought on sale with rebate when the 3is came out) is definitely middle of the road price wise, and I wouldn't feel hurt with a VX-2 or even VX-1 or scopes in that range from other manufacturers. I think it depends on your definition of cheap. Not saying there aren't advantages to more expensive shelters, but my close out Golites have not let me down at a tenth of the price of the big names. The Mountainsmith LT seems like a comparable current option, and I have one to try out. I'm a fan of the Wal-Mart (Outdoor Products) ultralight dry bags. Just can't beat them for the price. Sam's Club merino socks get a lot of use as well. Just adding on to all the other great suggestions so far.

If you keep your eyes around, you don't have to bust the bank to get quality stuff. If you have to have the latest and greatest -- and have to have it immediately, you will generally pay top dollar for it. What I find interesting is that no matter what forum I visit, regardless of topic, there is always a side that says only the "best" will do, and another that says you are wasting your money on the "best" and the discussion becomes either a contest or condemnation.

I think if you have the money and want to spend it that way, more power to you. The only time I judge is if it's more important to get that best gear than it is to spend money on your family or it involves incurring debt. Wait the other critique is if you buy all the best gear, but aren't otherwise prepared. Other than that, have at it. If you are in the other camp and can't afford the entire Sitka collection and Swarovski glass, no need to fret. Just keep on trucking with gear that is decent enough to keep you safe and out there. The important part is the hunting.

Sorry, that was a bit long winded.

I think if you have the money and want to spend it that way, more power to you. The only time I judge is if it's more important to get that best gear than it is to spend money on your family or it involves incurring debt. Wait the other critique is if you buy all the best gear, but aren't otherwise prepared. Other than that, have at it. If you are in the other camp and can't afford the entire Sitka collection and Swarovski glass, no need to fret. Just keep on trucking with gear that is decent enough to keep you safe and out there. The important part is the hunting.

Pretty much my thoughts to a tee.... I've seen people say they it drives them nuts when others have the most upgraded bow or too nice of scope, yadayada... I don't really care, if they're not losing a wife and kids over it, that's their prerogative. I try to encourage the people I hunt with to spend more time hunting and less time worrying about the current fashion and equipment trends. If they want a hubble size scope on their kimber mtn ascent, go for it. Not what I do but if it works for them run it.

I agree with that, if an item doesn't live up to the buyer's requirements...then it wasn't a good buy at any price. I think one of the interesting things is how many hunters let marketing companies set those requirements for them. It might (or not) have been the impetus for the initial post... but how many guys really don't know what they actually need before they spend money? The example someone gave of folks buying Sitka to sit in a tree stand is pretty perfect...performance clothing to sit in a tree. Makes sense for Sitka, since whitetail hunters outnumber folks who climb up a mountain 100s to 1... probably not the best deal for the hunters though.

As much as I'd hate to think about it- there's very little of this high end gear ever gets used on hunts that truly require it.

I think this is one of the more interesting threads to come along in a while.

^^^Yup^^^

Felix40

WKR
I find packs and boots to be the last area to compromise as they determine your ability to get you and your gear where you need to be. That said, there are great older packs available used for a fraction of the cost of a new pack that will do a great job. I'm a big fan of Sierra Trading Post. With their ceaseless barrage of 20% to 25% off offers and wide selection of quality boots (among many other things,) I can generally get set relatively cheaply. Optics are right up there, but they have come a long way and even middle of the road binoculars and scopes provide very good service. Like everything else, not worrying about model years helps save money too. Bargains abound on quality gear if you shop around and don't have to have the latest and greatest (bows consistently astound me -- compounds seem to spoil quicker than bananas.)

So to the question of what doesn't need to be top of the line. In big ticket items rifles lead the way. There are lot of decent value models out there that work just fine. Not the route I took, but I went the one rifle route a while ago and wanted to really commit. The range of scopes has gotten mind boggling over the years. My Leupold VX-3 (bought on sale with rebate when the 3is came out) is definitely middle of the road price wise, and I wouldn't feel hurt with a VX-2 or even VX-1 or scopes in that range from other manufacturers. I think it depends on your definition of cheap. Not saying there aren't advantages to more expensive shelters, but my close out Golites have not let me down at a tenth of the price of the big names. The Mountainsmith LT seems like a comparable current option, and I have one to try out. I'm a fan of the Wal-Mart (Outdoor Products) ultralight dry bags. Just can't beat them for the price. Sam's Club merino socks get a lot of use as well. Just adding on to all the other great suggestions so far.

If you keep your eyes around, you don't have to bust the bank to get quality stuff. If you have to have the latest and greatest -- and have to have it immediately, you will generally pay top dollar for it. What I find interesting is that no matter what forum I visit, regardless of topic, there is always a side that says only the "best" will do, and another that says you are wasting your money on the "best" and the discussion becomes either a contest or condemnation.

Sorry, that was a bit long winded.

That bit about buying top of the line but not otherwise prepared is a pet peeve for me. If you aren't maxing out the capabilities of middle of the road gear there's no reason to buy top of the line. For me currently its a rifle scope. I want to upgrade but I cant shoot beyond the capability of my current scope so there is no point. Another example is I see all the time guys who are 30 pounds overweight spending extra money to cut ounces off of their gear. "I bought x jacket because its lighter." When in reality by getting in shape you lose pounds plus you can fit in smaller lighter clothes lol.

cnelk

WKR
My low cost, 'work horse' Kelty pack frame is hanging in my shop right now.
What's your high cost pack doing?

idcuda

WKR
I'll join the wagon...hunting clothing. Great stuff from the big brands, but way over-priced and the camo craze is pretty amusing. I'll admit, though, that almost all of the new patterns look good (to me - the animals couldn't give two chits). I'm also an occasional hypocrite on this subject.

And backpack-size camp stoves for $100. And $500 boots. And arrows.

oldgoat

WKR
shot gun shells i kill lots of ducks with the cheap 2 3/4" blue box 2 shot federals. Alot of the stuff you could say is not needed but it makes it more enjoyable unless going out and having a suffer fest is your thing. If thats the case you could go to the recruiters office and get to do that for free on uncle sams dime.

Free hell, you get paid for it!

oldgoat

WKR
I don't get the best of everything but I do try to get at least the mid range on an item. I work lots of 12 hr overtime shifts to finance my high end stuff. None of it makes me a better hunter, but it damn sure makes me a more comfortable hunter!

OP
NDGuy

NDGuy

WKR
Cover scents and cover scent clothing. What a huge waste of money.

Randy

My dad convinced me that earth scented wafers were necessary to shoot Deer haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mdfanatic

FNG
I think one point that a lot of people have left out is, how many days per year are you using the gear? If you're spending a lot of time on the mountain, you can justify the higher priced gear because "usually" it really does perform better. If you have 1 hunt planned for the year, I don't see a justification for $480 Kenetrek boots and a $2,000 outfit from Sitka. So in this case, everything you have is probably overpriced somewhat.

Tango1

Lil-Rokslider
Trucks. My basic, low-cost Toyota Tacomas have been much more reliable than my large, expensive "top of the line" American-made SUVs. All of them purchased new and maintained by the book. I need the bigger GM SUVs as family haulers, work vehicles etc, but after 3 of them it's clear that they're not built or engineered to the same reliability/quality standard of the simple Tacoma/Hi-Lux. My current Tacoma cost just over half the price of the "top of the line" GMs and it's been 100% trouble-free.

boom

WKR
ice chest?

i dig a bargain..

love how some find this thread uncomfy..haha.

D_Eightch

WKR
I think one point that a lot of people have left out is, how many days per year are you using the gear? If you're spending a lot of time on the mountain, you can justify the higher priced gear because "usually" it really does perform better. If you have 1 hunt planned for the year, I don't see a justification for $480 Kenetrek boots and a $2,000 outfit from Sitka. So in this case, everything you have is probably overpriced somewhat.

Even if you're planning 1 hunt. The boots will be good the following year. Not sure I'm following your logic on that one.
I will be doing my first big elk hunt this fall and from what I've gathered. The last thing you want to be shitty is your boots.

oldgoat

WKR
Even if you're planning 1 hunt. The boots will be good the following year. Not sure I'm following your logic on that one.
I will be doing my first big elk hunt this fall and from what I've gathered. The last thing you want to be shitty is your boots.

You can get some really not shitty boots for a lot less than $480! But if they are the only ones that fit good then $480 is what I would spend!

OP
NDGuy

NDGuy

WKR
Thanks for all the replies everyone this has been fun reading through!