What's some gear you shouldn't need to get the top of the line?

NDGuy

WKR
What's some gear you don't need top of the line?

Haven't seen a post like this, what is some gear that isn't worth the extra buck to upgrade?

Items that in your experience you can get by going with the lower end product or the high priced brand isn't worth it.

Last edited:
I have some treestand hunting clothing that I bought from gander mountain on close out after season 3 years ago. Before I had that, I used some insulated carhart bibs and an m65 field jacket. The gander mountain stuff Works great. Quiet. Keeps me warm.

To be clear, this is stuff I wear when a drive up to a stand site, walk in less than a mile and sit still for a few hours.

I will probably draw some fire for this but I just don't see the need to pay massive $ for something that doesn't really see very hard use. No argument that the Sitka stuff and others out there aren't much better products, I just don't see the advantage relative to the cost for me and how I use it.

I get cheap, economic rolltop drybags off amazon or even walmart. I seem to go through alot (rip them, lose them, etc...) so I stopped buying the more expensive ones.

despite there being much more expensive gaiters out there, I still run and will continue to use OR Crocs.

I still use (on ocassion) crooked horn bino harness when I don't need my optics in a cocoon.

I have much more expensive 3 season tents, but I also still have and use some eureka's that have been nothing short of excellent, especially considering what I paid.

weaver

WKR
The biggest thing I see is buying new bows/rifles.
Drives me nuts when guys with a brand new top of the line decked out bow freak out when the hear how much I paid for a Kifaru pack.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

I will agree on the rifles. I have a Ruger American. I don't think they make a rifle cheaper than that and I am punching cloverleafs at 100 yards. My Hawkeye will probably become a safe queen at this point.

There are just so many affordable rifles that shoot on par with many high end or even ultra premium rifles with out all the fear of damaging $2k+ gun.

If all you're buying a rifle for anymore is accuracy than you are correct. There's no reason to spend more than a couple hundred. If craftsmanship, materials and tolerances are a consideration, than that's why $1000 guns are still being made and selling.

Jauwater

WKR
I say knives. You can drop a lot of money on a knife. One thing If your a collector. But as an everyday knife, or one you use hunting you can get a lot of nice blades for $100 or under. I spent 3 nights last year black bear hunting with a guy camping near me that was carrying a custom made knife he paid around $400 for. There's nothing that knife accomplished that my Kabar couldn't handle.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

I say knives. You can drop a lot of money on a knife. One thing If your a collector. But as an everyday knife, or one you use hunting you can get a lot of nice blades for $100 or under. I spent 3 nights last year black bear hunting with a guy camping near me that was carrying a custom made knife he paid around $400 for. There's nothing that knife accomplished that my Kabar couldn't handle
dang you beat me to it.... I just was logging back in to say I have some really nice knives I've gotten over the years as gifts and what have you, but I still find myself carrying a BUCK drop-point on alot of hunts.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Windicator ;)

You know.......several years ago I tried corn starch, I tried talc, I seem to remember trying something else as well, and none of it worked as well as Windicator. So when Walmart had a Christmas clearance sale one year with Windicator marked at $.99/bottle, I stocked up.

IMO there's a difference in "top of the line" and "top of the line pricing". Then there's some that have both......like maybe Yeti coolers. Ya, they work well.......and ya, they cost an arm and a leg. But there are a ton of items out there that are nowhere near top of the line pricing but still provide very decent functionality. As far as "need" goes......none of it. Lesser priced and even lesser quality may still work just fine. But there's some real crap out there as well.

I guess I would consider my Spot Hogg sight as top of the line, but with their 45% military discount I didn't pay anywhere near top of the line pricing. That's the key.....finding what you want at significantly lower prices. I would guess that most of my gear is near top of the line for my purposes and use, but wouldn't be considered top of the line by gear snobs.

Yesterday I pulled out my 2006 Bowtech Old Glory and did some shooting with it. Wow......didn't realize just how great a shooting bow that thing really is. Haven't shot it in 2 years now since picking up a PSE Freak, and only picked up the Freak because I got a great deal on it. I think I'm going to go back to my Old Glory for hunting this year. Definitely not top of the line in the archery world's eyes (especially with that slow 316IBO speed), but man what a great feeling bow.

Last edited:

jmez

WKR
Honestly, pretty much everything considering where and what I started with. None of it. I don't think my growth and success hunting has much , if anything to do with gear. I'm just more comfortable than I used to be. Want vs need.

I prefer the Paradox brand Zip neck long sleeve Tees and bottoms that are a merino/poly blend treated for funk resistance to straight Merino that costs 5X as much and only lasts 1/5 as long. And this is for hard backpack hunting, tree-standing or everyday wear.

2peterhunter

Lil-Rokslider
I think new bows are what gets most people. I wish I had my old 08 bow tech best bow ever... Just fit me perfect!

I get cheap, economic rolltop drybags off amazon or even walmart. I seem to go through alot (rip them, lose them, etc...) so I stopped buying the more expensive ones.

despite there being much more expensive gaiters out there, I still run and will continue to use OR Crocs.

I still use (on ocassion) crooked horn bino harness when I don't need my optics in a cocoon.

I have much more expensive 3 season tents, but I also still have and use some eureka's that have been nothing short of excellent, especially considering what I paid.

i'm 35 years old and i still use a 2 person eureka tent that i bought in high school.

Honestly, pretty much everything considering where and what I started with. None of it. I don't think my growth and success hunting has much , if anything to do with gear. I'm just more comfortable than I used to be. Want vs need.

This! I have gear that has made me more comfy, but that is it. I would rather build skill than gear. I agree with the post above on guns. I have always been kind of a snob on most things. However, I am very utilitarian.......everything is a tool. So why would I buy a 2k rifle when a $300 range rifle can do the same thing? I've really become a big savage fan....hard to beat for the price. Same with knives. Hard to justify the cost when my $15 mora does the same thing. There are things though.....like glass that are worth the money. However....that gap is closing....just a matter of time I think. Today's $500 glass was yesterday's 2k glass.....etc.

OP
NDGuy

NDGuy

WKR
All of it. You don't need the top of the line gear.

Better phrasing would be what is something you can really get away with cheaping out on.

Like the suggestion on dry bags! I think that's one direction I'll head for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elkyinzer

WKR
When you're paying for a brand name/status symbol/luxury pricing instead of quality. To spare everyone's delicate little sensibilities, I won't name names, but luxury pricing model is rampant in the hunting apparel market.