What's the best AR-10 308 to carry through woods hunting NC whitetail

Srflemin

FNG
I'm on my third year hunting whitetail on the Raleigh area game lands. I started on a shoe string budget to see if hunting is right for me and now I'm ready to invest to be a lifelong hunter. Every thread is so focused on MOA vs bottom line. I guess my main criteria is price, durability, reliability and weight.

Here's a breakdown of my reasons how I prioritize each.

Price: for me price isn't an issue and I'll pay for quality but I do not want to spend more than necessary because this gun will go through brush, rivers, marshes, etc. From my research I can probably meet my criteria for 1500 or less and I would like to get that number as low as possible without sacrificing weight or reliability.

Durability and reliability: since this gun will go through harsh conditions I want it to be as durable as possible while maintaining reliability. If I encounter any pack animals like coyotes I need to be able to count on follow up shots.

Weight: I front carry with a M1 sling so if I bump a deer up I can snap up my rifle and take a shot. Weight matters most when you front carry. I consider 65 grendel to keep AR-15 platform for weight reduction but prefer 308 since ammo is more available so I'm settled on ar10 and from searching there's several options under 8 pounds before optics or ammo.

I'm having trouble deciding between aero precision M5, bushmaster, sig, Savage and might be others on the market in unaware of so hopefully other 308 AR-10 that weighs under 8 lbs for under 1500 will be brought up.

I am also gonna use this gun to hunt hogs so need to be able to easily add lights so more mounting options is a plus.

Right now I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on aero precision complete upper and lower. One of my friends raves about their quality for the price. I can get everything for under 1200 with their military discount but I want to make sure this is the best choice for me as I'm a little concerned I'm paying for better Moa on a budget rifle than the criteria I really need.

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
I used to have a ar-10 CMMG 308. Don't get me wrong it killed everything I shot at with it, mostly hogs. I took it deer hunting once and never again. It was ok for flat land swamps etc. stalking hogs. But here in the mountains it was Heavy, cumbersome, and poked into my back while carrying it slung on my shoulder.

End up trading it off and went with a ar-15 in 6.5 grendel, still drop hogs in one shot and not as heavy.

I deer hunt with bolt action rifle, dont even like to carry the ar deer hunting

MtnDunn

FNG
My father-in-law has a S&W AR-10 that shoots really well with a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x on it. He bought it to deer hunt with, but I'll be honest, it's bulky and heavy in my opinion. If you're planning to hunt flat land where you only have to walk a short distance to a ladder stand or shooting house, then go for it.

Titan_Bow

WKR
If I was building a AR specifically for southeast whitetail, it would be an AR-15 in 6.5 Grendel, 6mm ARC or 6.8 SPC.
I built a 6.8 for my son. We’ve shot a bunch of deer and antelope with it, and it’s hammered every one of them. I’ve been really impressed with that caliber with 110gr accubonds and 105gr cavitybacks. It’s nice having a 6.5 pound carbine, very handy and easy to pack around all day.
I like the familiarity of AR platforms but every time I toy with the idea of building an AR 10, I can’t justify the price when you really start trying to build out a super lightweight build compared to a nice bolt action

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bobinmi

WKR
I know that we can chase the money game into ridiculous territory but if you're willing to go 1600 a POF Rogue would fit the bill. Sub 6lb 308

Yoder

WKR
I know two guys that have Palmetto State AR-10's and have had really good luck with them. I don't think you can beat them for the price.

Long Cut

WKR
My buddy has a Palmetto State Armory AR-10 and loves it. Has had it for several years, no issues and has killed several deer with it.

If you want an AR-10 get an AR-10 they have their place but for hunting deer your better off with 308 bolt, think ruger American Rifle..waay lighter. I built an PSA AR-10 8 or 9 years ago great rifle stiil use it to night hunt pigs...hunted deer with it 2x...went back to a bolt. YMMV