What's the best clothes wash?

Nothing, not a damn thing. They stink like you as soon as you put them on. Does anyone really think you can out smart an elks nose?

I am in this camp as well.

I hunt in the gear I train in for the most part. I will hose the gear down until all the crap is off it, then I dry it all and store it in a bag full of pine needles/branches.

Trr15

WKR
Nothing, not a damn thing. They stink like you as soon as you put them on. Does anyone really think you can out smart an elks nose?

I play the wind and don’t wear cologne when I hunt, that’s about the extent of my scent control. With that said, I don’t think it’s about fooling an elk’s nose. Just like everything else, there are varying degrees of scent. Why not minimize your stink footprint and improve your odds if you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely not going to outsmart an animals nose or ever get rid of your scent but it is super important to wash your hunting gear (especially the higher end DWR/rain gear etc) to restore its like new behavior. (check Sitka's recommended reasons/methods for washing https://www.sitkagear.com/care). All companies have the same recommendations it seems. Gunk and grime over the hunting season can definitely reduce the effectiveness of certain pieces from being able to breath how they are supposed to. I purchased a product off of GoHunt called Grangers performance wash and it seems to have worked well. They also make several other products (which I have not used) but come recommended by others I know.

Alchemy

WKR
I didn’t know guys washed hunting rags? Seriously, it’s kinda tradition in my family.... my wife thinks it’s crazy, maybe so but I like the fact that I don’t have to mess or worry about washing clothes. I mean I have cleaned them off with water hose or in the river don’t get me wrong but never has a piece even gone remotely close to the laundry room. Part of the allure of the outdoors to me is leaving the life stressors behind and having zero responsibilities besides having fun and hunting.... last thing I wanna do is a load of laundry when I get back from a hunt.

jmez

WKR
I don't use any of the products. Same for whitetails. I shower with regular soap and hunt. Since I started hunting in the mountains and now understand thermals, wind, how they interact and change I get winded a whole lot less than I used too.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

muddydogs

WKR
Does the Nikwax/waterproofing stuff really keep your dwr working longer? I've always wondered, but until recently never really had much dwr clothing.

From what I have read its supposed to restore the water repellency by cleaning out the pores in the garment. People have reported that there gear was leaking until they washed it with the Nikwax stuff. It could be just a scam like scent killer products, eventually I might have a chance to figure it out but so far my gear is working as it should.

7th Generation free and clear detergent, distilled white vinegar instead of fabric softener. Use this for all my clothes.

I also use unscented bar soap in the shower and unscented antiperspirant, no cologne. Over the last two years of doing this, I have noticed that my sense of smell has become more acute.

My wife has switched to distilled vinegar to soften our towels. Says they are more absorbent.

I am personally a fan of the Nose Jammer products. They smell like vanilla to humans but it actually made up of natural oil and overwhelms the animals sensory organs in its nose. I am not an expert by any means but this worked well for me.

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
I used to use just baking soda and warm water but recently had a child and was doing a load and noticed my wife had special detergent for his clothes. Looked on back, scent free, it has no harsh chemicals/dies/irritants/etc and is made for newborns with sensitive skin. Worked great, clothes are soft, clean, and scent less (for now). So now I use baby laundry detergent and baking soda 😂.

Wrench

WKR
I soak my clothes in sweat and mediocre luck. Seems to work better if I don't get up wind.

I want to believe in UV brightness affecting my clothes....but all the years of killing stuff in a blue flannel washed in tide makes me skeptical.

Clarence

WKR
Arm and hammer washing soda, then rewash with Graingers on my mountain clothes. Dead downwind on whitetail stuff.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk