What’s the best Custom Hunting Action?

Hey guys, I’m in the process of ordering parts for a new hunting rifle. I’m going with a 6.5 PRC. Got a carbon proof research barrel on the way. My question is what action should I go with? I want quality, durability, and ultimately as light weight as possible. I’ve been looking at a few options, Defiance, Bighorn, Impact Precision, Surgeon, those are a few. Any of you guys out there done a similar build? I would appreciate any input, or thoughts on what action to go with. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lightweight I’d choose a lone peak Ti or pierce Ti action. Nothing wrong with any of the makers you listed either.

OP
T
Thanks for the input guys , I will check out these options. Much appreciated.

Mine is a Defiance Deviant , definitely not the lightest but is rock solid. You can't really go wrong with any of the customs available today . Decide what features are important to you and your budget. None of them are perfect for everything, but some come close .

With the precision machining in actions these days its hard to go wrong with any of them. You could get 8 different answers from 8 different guys. I'm building a rifle off of a bighorn action currently so I'm partial to bighorn. Most of it will come down to personal preference and compatibility.

OP
T
Good stuff guys, with alittle more research and from what iv heard on hear I’m leaning towards Lone Peak Ti. They are alittle pricy, but hey I don’t think In the long run I will regret it!

Journeyman

Lil-Rokslider
Good stuff guys, with alittle more research and from what iv heard on hear I’m leaning towards Lone Peak Ti. They are alittle pricy, but hey I don’t think In the long run I will regret it!

I'm headed down to Utah next weekend to shoot Rocky Mountain Mayhem and I'm going to meet up with Brian and Mike from Lone Peak. Pretty excited to check their stuff out in person. I'm planning on running the Razor Ti in a medium length for a 6.5 PRC build as well.

While all the other actions listed in this thread are great actions, I think Lone Peaks medium length action fits the niche you described perfectly.

I'll let you know how it goes and hopefully come back with some pics.

BJP

FNG
Joe collier just built this one for me .300 wsm 24in proof sendero light, defiance action ,mcmillan rem hunter. Leupold vx6hd 3x18x44 weighs 8lb 3oz

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190409-195400_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20190409-195400_Messages.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 182

kabarNC

FNG
If I was building a 6.5 prc I think I would go with a Lone Peak Fuzion TI medium length just because I like to be able to seat any bullet anywhere I want.

I'd support this 100%. I just finished going the Bighorn Origin route.

Are you going to be running the 6.5PRC out of AICS mags, or something different?

kupper

Lil-Rokslider
Most everyone is just going to list whatever action they are using and claim that its the best. I personally am using a kelbly atlas because its what my smith was using. I absolutely love the action but cant honestly say that its better or worse than any other custom action. The gun with the custom doesn't shoot any better than my guns with trued up 700 actions but it does feed and cycle smoother and never fails to eject. Get whatever you like because if the smithing is all done properly they are all going to shoot.

Check out the pierce titanium with "lightened" bolt option. McWhorter rifles has gone to them! Good stuff! To my knowledge, pierce is the lightest 700 footprint available. I have several Borden titaniums that I am crazy about but, Jim is charging double to do titanium nowadays...bummer but, might be worth it? If you go ti, a pvd coated bolt will smooth it up quite a bit. Good luck!