What’s the best GPS

1jonmon

Lil-Rokslider
What’s the best gps for solo backcountry hunts? Already have a Spot, but am considering the Garmin with Satphone. May just get basic hand held...thoughts...opinions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OldGrayJB

WKR
I really like my Garmin 66i. It has the inreach feature. It's a little bit heavier than the inreach mini but it will work without my phone. It's unlikely that I'll ever need it to work without my phone but it's peace of mind.
A satphone would be nice but they're pricey. I'd probably rent one if I chose that option.

Hogyotedeer

Banned
My wife, the navigator, keeps a Garmin and her I-Phone at her disposal. Her experience is the Garmin is easier to use and to search for destinations and businesses along the way. However, the I-Phone can be a handy backup to have especially as you get closer to your destination. Many times we have decided to use the I-Phone(usually in a city). Having both GPS units to compare routes has been worth the hassle of trying to hold on to and operate two different handhelds. BTW, if you're using a GPS unit stick with Garmin. This brand has proven to be much more dependable than any other.

Brooks

WKR
I use my I phone with the area I’m in pre downloaded-but always have my Garmin Oregon 650 with me. It’s a great gps and has never failed me.

What your used too using is often what will work best for you. In the field I'm used to using a hand held GPS. I have a I phone with onx also but I better trust my handheld Garmin GPS. I have the Montana onx chip in it. My phone battery generally craps out if it gets cold out so I almost have to have it next to my skin in colder weather. Though I don't have that model I do like the idea of the Garmin 66i with having a GPS and inreach all in one. But I do have the standard inreach for emergency and contacting the wife at least once daily. For finding my way I'll carry a compass too in case all else fails. Being older I like having a larger screen GPS like the Montana but they are a bit expensive and I lost my Oregon last year in Utah so I bought a Garmin Etrex 30x as it is one of the cheaper one's that will accept a chip and has decent internal memory but has a smaller screen than I like but will get me by and the Chip will keep me in a legal hunting unit.

dingleberns

Lil-Rokslider
I use the Garmin inreach mini. $14.95 a month with unlimited pre-set messages (you decide what the three preset messages say), and 10 text messages. really all you need is the unlimited pre-set messages. that's all i used last year. Then suspend the account until next season so only pay for what you use. I use it july-october only.

I have both GAIA and ON X on my phone. My back up is my Sunto Traverse watch. Never had my phone gps fail. First year I went to my phone, I carried my old hand held GPS unit. Never had to take it out of my pack. I only store my camp waypoint in my watch incase my phone fails for what ever reason.

Just need to download the area maps that you are going to be hunting so you have the extras, but it will work like a basic gps (get you back to a waypoint) even without the maps loaded.

I've been looking into OnX. For you guys that use it, would I just download the map for my unit and does it work off of the phone GPS? Has anyone had battery issues or unable to communicate with satellites in the mountains?

flemdogg

Lil-Rokslider
OnX on my iPhone in addition to Garmin InReach Mini utilizing the Garmin EarthMate phone app. Also running a Garmin Instinct watch as a final backup but mostly utilize it for elevation checks and sunrise/sunset times.

Another tip, download the Google Earth App on your smartphone, take high level fly over 3d screen shots of where you'll be hunting. Stockpile them in your photos as a backup if you don't have service in your spot. It's nice to have different angles as well. I'll lay in my tent at night and review the screenshots/OnX to create a plan of attack for the next day. Between everything, you'll have what you need out in the field. As stated, most of us have dumped a dedicated GPS unit years ago. I've pondered a sat phone as well, but have pulled back as texting via the Garmin is much more efficient for me. Hope this helps.

OP

1jonmon

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been and will use ONX on my phone, but I’d like to have a handheld gps also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk