Whats the best quick release rifle system?

2-Stix

WKR
Hi Folks,
I have been reviewing the Kifaru, Stone Glacier, Mystery Ranch and Kuiu system. As a long time backpacker/mountaineer using trekking poles is standard. Having to shoulder a rifle all day drives me crazy.

What system seems to be the most sought after or works best?

Thanks.

Kotaman

WKR
I’ve used all of those. I prefer the Stone Glacier. The Kifaru Gun Bearer is loved by many, and I use it with my Kifaru packs, but I just don’t like the rifle under my arm.

BBob

WKR
I’ve used the Kuiu and Kifaru. I also didn’t like the rifle under my arm and the Kuiu doesn’t really work on a hip belt with both a pocket and rangefinder on it (it straps to the hip belt). I’ll probably try the SG (hopefully I can adapt it to my pack) as it looks like it has what I’m looking for after trying the other two I mentioned. Currently I’m using the Kuiu std carrier. It works but it’s not quick and the lower cradle is too tight on most buttstocks. Most fit but it’s a tight squeeze and slow to get in or out.

OpenCountry

Lil-Rokslider
I use the SG and haven't had any complaints. Here's another option thats similar to the SG that can be used on a variety of packs as well.

rclouse79

WKR
I use the SG and haven't had any complaints. Here's another option thats similar to the SG that can be used on a variety of packs as well.

I am half tempted to give that a try for the price.

RJC

Lil-Rokslider
has anyone made the SG work on a kifaru frame? I love the gun bearer but I don't love the placement of it under the arm

I love the Kifaru GunBearer. I was actually just thinking it about it a couple of weeks ago while hunting. It is one of the most functional, flat out does what it is supposed to, pieces I have ever used. The rifle is right there when I need it and does not stick up over my pack when in the thick stuff.

OP
2-Stix

2-Stix

WKR

I just ordered it. This is exactly what I am looking for. Thanks. Rokslide has been so helpful.

brsnow

WKR
The gun bearer is hands free and quickest. There rest I am sure work, but the Kifaru allows hands free, one touch and rifle is in position to fire. I like it is under my arm, you don’t notice it, but if it accidentally released it you could catch it. Well thought out.

bruno747

FNG
I have the kuiu quick release for my pack. Don't go that route if your rifle has open sights. when its strapped down enough to keep the rifle from swinging around its strapped down on the barrel. You release the clip on the belt and pull the rifle down sliding the barrel out of the strap. If you have a front sight, it will get snagged and you will either have to take the pack off or fight with it to get it out of there. Not a good solution for quick release with open sights.

To re-install the rifle, you will have to take the pack off or a friend will have to get the barrel started.

I love the Kifaru GunBearer. I was actually just thinking it about it a couple of weeks ago while hunting. It is one of the most functional, flat out does what it is supposed to, pieces I have ever used. The rifle is right there when I need it and does not stick up over my pack when in the thick stuff.
same here. i appreciate it more, the more i use it. by far my favorite rifle carrying method. i hated the kuiu one, it was not for me, and the butt of the rifle fit so tight there was nothing quick about getting to the rifle. the kifaru is the way to carry a rifle for my likes

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I just installed QD sockets on the left side of my stocks forend and the right side of the butt. I have not used it enough to say it is better than the Gun Bearer, but so far I like it. I'm using a Rifle Craft RS3 sling (which I like quite a bit more than the Vickers Blue Force Gear sling on my AR).

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
Kifaru for me, I tried the SG for a few outings and after it kept failing (quick release would open randomly and my gun fell to the ground) I went back to the kifaru. The kifaru just works better and you load your rifle after your pack is already on. Way faster to load and get a shot off your shoulder if you jump and animal.

Kifaru user here as well, although I'm always fighting to keep the rifle from rotating upside down. Sometimes I win, but most of the time the GunBearer wins.
Is your upper strap going around the stock or just the barrel? I use to fight the same issue until I made an extra wrap around the stock. It keeps it from wanting to rotate

ChrisAU

WKR
Kifaru user here as well, although I'm always fighting to keep the rifle from rotating upside down. Sometimes I win, but most of the time the GunBearer wins.

I solved this in the past by using the Kuiu lower, but now use the Initial Ascent lower piece. It works so much better. Have rigged both up to Kuiu and Kifaru packs. They attach at each end in stead of just in the middle, which holds the butt of the stock straight.

OrangeMan73

Lil-Rokslider
I hunted 15 days this fall and carried both a muzzleloader and a chassised rifle with 24" barrel and and 8" can on top. Both carried extremely well in the slik sling mentioned above. I am not affiliated with the product at all, but I have to say its genius, carries long guns extremely well, minimalistly lightweight, and is cheap. You're not American if you don't at least check it out.

I hunt exclusively with a MR beartooth pack (even for day trips), and it integrates really well. I don't even have regular shoulder slings on my rifles anymore.