Whats the best quick release rifle system?

BBob

WKR
I solved this in the past by using the Kuiu lower, but now use the Initial Ascent lower piece. It works so much better. Have rigged both up to Kuiu and Kifaru packs. They attach at each end in stead of just in the middle, which holds the butt of the stock straight.
How does the Initial Ascent compare to the Kuiu as far as room for the buttstock? The Kuiu is very tight/small and a pain in the A** on some stocks and worse if you have a rifle cover on.

ChrisAU

WKR
How does the Initial Ascent compare to the Kuiu as far as room for the buttstock? The Kuiu is very tight/small and a pain in the A** on some stocks and worse if you have a rifle cover on.

While the Kuiu worked for me, this is part of the reason I like the IA version more. It is much more roomy and seems much more well built. The straps are also longer allowing for more adjustment. Also made in the USA.

BBob

WKR
While the Kuiu worked for me, this is part of the reason I like the IA version more. It is much more roomy and seems much more well built. The straps are also longer allowing for more adjustment. Also made in the USA.
Thx! Big long barreled rifles don't work well (or at all) in the Kuiu. We've modified them for bigger butts and added length to the straps so that's why I asked. Good to know the IA may work with hopefully no mods. :)

I'll order an IA and see how it works out.

Drenalin

WKR
I bought the Slik Sling after seeing it mentioned in this thread - so far, so good. I like having the rifle behind my shoulder, without worrying with a sling slipping off, and still very readily accessible.

LostArra

WKR
For me the Kifaru was like my trial with a tree saddle. I know they work great for some people just not me. I actually bought and sold a gun bearer on two occasions.

I don't hunt a lot with a rifle (consolation elk) but I found the Slik Sling from the Montana Bow Sling folks worked great for me in October.

Ever since seeing the pictures the member posted of a gun bearer wearing a pretty terrible spot in his stock im wondering if the new gun bearer i have is for me.
I'm musc to ocd and spent way to much money for that crap.
Maybe I should try the slik

BluMtn

WKR
I used the New style KUIU this year and for me it is the best I have used so far. I had the old style KUIU and the butt of my rifle would not fit in the pocket. I have tried most of the rifle slings except the gun bearer. I don't like the gun under my arm at my side. I can get my rifle into action fairly easy with the new style KUIU. When I am wanting to carry my rifle knowing that I will not be needing it, I carry it in the KUIU. When I need it I reach down and unbuckle it and allow the rifle to slide down until I can garb it at the wrist and then I can swing it into position to shoot.

S.Clancy

WKR
I think SG is the best, no comparison. Having a rifle under your arm all day....yea, no. I set the SG up on my Exo and my bros Mystery Ranch packs, works great. I set the quick release with 2 triglides on the top strap. Perfect every time.

Carlin59

WKR
Kifaru gun bearer here. The rifle under my arm really isn’t noticeable for me, and I’d like to think it provides a little extra element protection and padding for the scope and action. Also like knowing where the end of the barrel is at all times, definitely makes sneaking through brush/under trees easier. Can really go from hiking/glassing to seated shooting position extremely quickly.

Kifaru user here as well, although I'm always fighting to keep the rifle from rotating upside down. Sometimes I win, but most of the time the GunBearer wins.
I was having that issue too and then i started running the bottom section of the gun bearer backwards so the strap that goes up to your hip belt goes over the butt of your rifle instead of behind it and i haven’t had the issue since. I don’t know if anyone else found this fix but it’s worked good for me. I can send pics if needed.

I was having that issue too and then i started running the bottom section of the gun bearer backwards so the strap that goes up to your hip belt goes over the butt of your rifle instead of behind it and i haven’t had the issue since. I don’t know if anyone else found this fix but it’s worked good for me. I can send pics if needed.

I think I understand what you’re saying, but if it’s not too much trouble to post a picture I’d appreciate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've like the SG but I did have my rifle come out unintentionally this year. Fortunately, last day of the hunt. And most definitely user error. Make sure that strap is seated in the quick release clamp properly. I think I had it a little off and the clamp wasn't fully secured. Fell on the dirt road and ended up 6" high and 6" left when I went to re-sight it in...

Otherwise, it carries really nicely and I don't notice the extra weight on one side of the pack much at all.

Kifaru user here as well, although I'm always fighting to keep the rifle from rotating upside down. Sometimes I win, but most of the time the GunBearer wins.
i just put my rifle in there upside down, unless i have my rapid rifle cover on, then that keeps it upright... i thought about lowering my top strap so it went around the scope too to keep it oriented upright, but upside down hasn't bugged me enough to fix it... i just go with the flow there

Kifaru gun bearer here. The rifle under my arm really isn’t noticeable for me, and I’d like to think it provides a little extra element protection and padding for the scope and action. Also like knowing where the end of the barrel is at all times, definitely makes sneaking through brush/under trees easier. Can really go from hiking/glassing to seated shooting position extremely quickly.
that's a real standout here is crawling through the brush, it's easy to guide along and if something gets hung up, you can see what's hung up, and still have 2 hands free for climbing up those steep ridges through the brush through thick salmonberry, or ferns... having the barrel poking way up in that stuff gets me cussing pretty quick... it's hard enough to get through without every limb grabbing your barrel and trying to pull you backwards.

started packing my bow in it here recently too, and it's nice not having to carry it all day, especially long walks in and out on gated logging roads where a surprise encounter is rare, and having your bow in hand wouldn't change the outcome... it's literally no slower to get things going vs carrying it by the string in your hand

Jethro

WKR
My first season with the gun bearer. I find it a little more comfortable with scope facing down, so I also run it that way.

I went on a sheep hunt with a buddy, hiking along a river near beginnings of our trip and the release caught a stick or something fun fell out and into river, was able to retrieve it!