What’s the best state to apply for moose (lower 48)

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
The short winter days have me day dreaming and thinking about future hunts.

move shot moose in Alaska (I love here) and in Canada (a decade ago), I randomly came across a discussion of people talking about a “moose slam” and since I’ve never shot a moose in the lower 48 it sounded like a cool thing to do.

move seen tons of moose in Wyoming and montana, even seen some in Colorado but never got to hunt them.

If you were going to apply in the lower 48, where would you focus on...also I have zero points anywhere.

thanks!!!

Trial153

WKR
I cut an pasted my post from another thread.

** Maine has terrible NR odds and horrible draw system, at this point you no better off if you got in on the ground floor vs tomorrow. Saving grace is it cheap.
**New Hampshire has about no nonresident tags at this point. My best odds ( with 15 years of points );were about 1 in 40, six or seven years ago. Same tag is now about 1 in 500 since they lowered quotas.
* Vermont ...forget it.

Colorado you will need to put in for three years before your able to even apply for a draw. Then long to very long odds. Your looking at licence fees and points fees for three year just to get your foot in the door. Figure about 600 upfront before your name is in the hat

WY, 150 point fee, 2.5% credit card fee then you front the hefty tag cost till you dont draw...terrible odds.

Montana, Utah...horrible odds as well.

Idaho is your best chance however your going to pay for it, 200 plus in non refundable costs and dealing with a NR tag cap. Still its your best odds at lower 48 tag..

The short of it you can spend about 1k plus a year for the next 20 years and be no closer to a lower 48 moose tag unless you sit on a horse shoe.

Wapiti1

WKR
Idaho is the only viable option and not a sure thing. But you get better odds in a lesser unit if you aren't after a 40" set of horns. Or get on the list for the couple of landowner moose tags in Utah, but be aware you will spend about $15000 for that moose.

Good luck.

Jeremy

Nick66

FNG
Idaho is the only viable option and not a sure thing. But you get better odds in a lesser unit if you aren't after a 40" set of horns. Or get on the list for the couple of landowner moose tags in Utah, but be aware you will spend about $15000 for that moose.

Good luck.

Jeremy
I’ve been kicking around putting in for an Idaho tag. Any particular units that will give me better draw odds? Definitely don’t have to have a 40’+ bull

cnelk

WKR
NR can get a Colorado cow moose tag within a couple years. Cow moose aren’t sexy but they qualify for a slam yes?

If you’re looking for antlers, look elsewhere

BAKPAKR

WKR
If you don’t mind going with a guide, I am pretty sure you can hunt Shiras moose in British Columbia and in Alberta. I realize these options are not the lower 48 but it sounds like your Canada moose was shot in Canada.

Wrench

WKR
My advice is to pay attention to the wolf population units. Moose in the panhandle and eastern Washington got zero pressure for decades and had nothing to ever learn to run from......then the wolves came. They were sitting ducks. The moose population took a beating.

I have a basin that for 20 years I could sit and find 5-10 bulls in on any day after the leaves dropped. It's rare to see even one or two moose, cows included now. This is on the fringes of heavy wolf traffic areas.

It's sad for me as I have a lifetime of points saved up in Washington and I'll be lucky to even see a bull by the time I get drawn.

Wapiti1

WKR
My advice is to pay attention to the wolf population units. Moose in the panhandle and eastern Washington got zero pressure for decades and had nothing to ever learn to run from......then the wolves came. They were sitting ducks. The moose population took a beating.

I have a basin that for 20 years I could sit and find 5-10 bulls in on any day after the leaves dropped. It's rare to see even one or two moose, cows included now. This is on the fringes of heavy wolf traffic areas.

It's sad for me as I have a lifetime of points saved up in Washington and I'll be lucky to even see a bull by the time I get drawn.

That was the same story in Yellowstone park and the areas I hunt in SW MT. There were some spots that always had moose, then almost always, then sometimes, and now they are gone. That said, I've seen more the last couple of years in SW MT, so it seems like they are adapting.

Jeremy