Whats the best way to use the Swarovski BTX (it’s angled) glassing downhill?

FishTacos

FNG
What are your solutions for using the Swarovski BTX when you’re up higher on a glassing knob and need to look down? The BTX is angled and it rotates, but since it has 2 eyes, rotating the spotter doesn’t work the same as if it was a single eye angled spotter. The BTX is nice, though heavy and I haven’t solved effectively for downhill glassing.

Would be greet to hear what you all do with it to make it work best when glassing downhill

Not sure how far down the mountain you are looking but using a tripod that is tall enough to stand with works well or using a helinox chair also works. When looking down on steep country you really have to get over the top of the BTXs so i will start with the tripod lower than when looking across or up.
Personally i use my BTXs to look at big country from a distance, from me(1.5 miles+) and i use my 15xs for anything less than that(1.5miles and under) as a rule of thumb.
If you are going to be looking at steep angles down the mountain all the time it may be better to go with a set of Big Eyes(2 Straight body STS Swaro 65mm Spotters) or run 15xs and a straight spotter.

I've never really had a problem glassing down with it that I can remember. I never had a problem glassing down with an angled spotter before the BTX either. Last year I was looking down off some cliffs at a band of rams. I remember picking out the ram I liked the best and would shoot but don't remember having trouble using the BTX.

This year it will probably become an issue now that I know about it haha

OP
F

FishTacos

FNG
Thanks for all the insights- getting above it / going with the low tripod was helpful, hiked it up a hill to test those out and had decent results. Tried it with a Boulder/zrest and with a lightweight chair and both worked pretty well.

Probably not possible but if you can rotate it, does it go full inverted such that it's angled down? Depending on the slope, that may give you a straight view down the hill.

OP
F

FishTacos

FNG
Probably not possible but if you can rotate it, does it go full inverted such that it's angled down? Depending on the slope, that may give you a straight view down the hill.

Not a bad idea, it stops short of a full inversion by a few degrees. It does become a one eye spotter in a pinch though

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I’ve actually use mine from a window mount in the truck quite a bit, and I have to sit on a pillow and dropping the drivers sides wheels off the road a few inches helps a lot. On the mountain, I just get the tripod low get above it.

OP
F

FishTacos

FNG
I’ve actually use mine from a window mount in the truck quite a bit, and I have to sit on a pillow and dropping the drivers sides wheels off the road a few inches helps a lot. On the mountain, I just get the tripod low get above it.

Getting above it seems to be the only tactic that works well. I haven’t figured out anything else that works yet. My tripod doesn’t go very low so I may end up switching that some time in the future