What’s the best wild game meat?

Ucsdryder

WKR
This last year I cooked up some moose, elk, and bighorn sheep the same way and did a blind taste test for myself. There were some minor nuances but overall there really wasn't much difference to me. My family concurred.
Did elk, antelope, and deer. All backstraps. All cooked identical. Blind taste test. Everyone like elk the “best” but they actually ALL picked deer, which I was told beforehand was their least favorite! In the end, take good care of the meat, cook it right and you probably won’t be able to tell the difference.

For me dove would have to be number 1, if they grew to be the size of turkeys I wouldn’t hunt anything else.
Close second is the Sika deer, this is the species that’s free ranging on Maryland’s eastern shore, elk would be third followed by whitetail

505Wapiti

WKR
Grew up on SW Oklahoma farmland whitetail, definitely good, but NM oryx has topped my list. Such a wide variety of wild game, and to me honestly all of it is far superior than the commercialized stuff. From fresh caught kokanee on the smoker, walleye, and of course fresh chukar and pheasant on the disco… Those of us that live a life where we can harvest wild game are blessed beyond measure.

Late fall berry fed interior black bear, dall sheep, moose, then caribou. Rendered fat from fall berry fed bears makes the best bakes goods you could ever produce.

Did elk, antelope, and deer. All backstraps. All cooked identical. Blind taste test. Everyone like elk the “best” but they actually ALL picked deer, which I was told beforehand was their least favorite! In the end, take good care of the meat, cook it right and you probably won’t be able to tell the difference.
I kinda did the same thing. I made two pots of chili for a men's church event. One was elk and the other whitetail. Being in Texas, a whole bunch of them went for the elk first. But at the end of the evening, I asked around and most of them told me the deer chili actually tasted better. I wasn't surprised. The elk meat I've had has been pretty bland and tasteless. I guess we're just used to deer in our house now.

I do like me a good duck gumbo, but that's all I like duck for.

I noticed nobody said Bear - so that helped save me $100 this fall. LOL