What’s the best wild game meat?

jhm2023

WKR
Of the things Ive eaten.

-Dall sheep is without a doubt my favorite.
-Black bear that's been living like a vegetarian and only eating plant stuff.
-Moose and bison is a tie I guess.
-Elk.
-Grizzly, also when on a plant based diet.
-Whitetail.
-Caribou, it's really just a ground meat kind of critter at my house.

-Ruffled grouse is my favorite bird and is really all I try to go after for bird hunting.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Torino

FNG
Mountain goat disappears the fastest from my family’s freezer. Deer, elk, moose, and caribou depending on the prep is all pretty equally loved as a close 2nd to goat. Effort vs Lbs of meat in the freezer: deer every time without hesitation.

Nobody here is bummed when the goat’s all gone and only deer remains.

Good thread. Factors outside of pure taste Undoubtedly weigh into play….Like the best “tasting” beer I remember had nothing to do with the label but rather the situation and scenery. Putting that aside, here is my top 5 list in order:

1) Coues Deer
2) Antelope
2) Quail
4) Moose
5) Elk

RGARNER

Lil-Rokslider
Shot my first elk last year and was amazed at how good it is.

I am surprised at the lack of guys saying bear.
My current favorite list is
1. Bear (especially roast.)
2. Antilope.
3. Moose
4. Elk

Trap

Lil-Rokslider
I am surprised at the lack of guys saying bear.
My current favorite list is
1. Bear (especially roast.)
2. Antilope.
3. Moose
4. Elk
I’m with you on the bear 100 percent. Most underrated big game meat in my opinion. Antelope not so much. I might have already commented but it amazes me how many people list antelope. I have hunted antelope 35-40 years and although I eat it. it’s always been my least favorite wild game. I lived in an area when I was younger where we could usually get 2 doe and 1 buck tag so I have eaten a lot. I make all summer sausage out of it now. I must be doing something wrong but I’m pretty good with meat care. I don’t know it’s interesting.

Kentivan

FNG
Judging from everything I have tried, from game birds to predators - I can say that deer meat, it's better than any beef I've ever tasted. I haven't tried to prepare it in wild conditions, but I plan to cook it if I have such possibility.

I’m with you on the bear 100 percent. Most underrated big game meat in my opinion. Antelope not so much. I might have already commented but it amazes me how many people list antelope. I have hunted antelope 35-40 years and although I eat it. it’s always been my least favorite wild game. I lived in an area when I was younger where we could usually get 2 doe and 1 buck tag so I have eaten a lot. I make all summer sausage out of it now. I must be doing something wrong but I’m pretty good with meat care. I don’t know it’s interesting.
We really are just different. Sometimes its explainable sometimes not.
Can I ask if you have had a particular bad experience with antilope? I have a poorly thought out theory that if you have a bad taste/smell of something you relive that experience each time you try it again.

Trap

Lil-Rokslider
We really are just different. Sometimes its explainable sometimes not.
Can I ask if you have had a particular bad experience with antilope? I have a poorly thought out theory that if you have a bad taste/smell of something you relive that experience each time you try it again.
Yes 👍 you might be on to something. I had a specific whiskey I couldn’t drink for a few years also ha ha. My co worker was born and lived In Wyoming 45 years can’t stand antelope. Maybe if you eat too much of it as a kid 😂. It’s interesting I think. I am going antelope hunting this fall again I will see if I feel different this time

moogles

FNG
Moose hands down. The first time I tried it was when I was on a fishing trip in nothern Manitoba, Canada.

We were staying with my cousin's friend on the Indian reservation. Rough place but some of the nicest people I have ever met. Someone stopped by with a chunk (not even sure what cut it was) but they sliced it super thin and then fried it very fast in butter on a cast iron pan. To this day my mouth waters every time I think of this story.

moogles

FNG
Oh and I should add, bottled seal is delicious. I worked with a Newfie and I would trade jars of Saskatoon berry jam I made for his seal that family would mail to him.

It's kind of stringy like chicken, very fatty (yum), soft (almost between liver and a steak) and the slightest taste of the ocean. I prepared it like liver with just onions, butter, salt and pepper.

If you ever get the chance to try some, I suggest you don't pass it up.

bowonly

FNG
I guess I would try seal, like you describe, if I had a chance. But I know I will not be trying any more seal oil on my raw caribou liver! Ever!

lose_money

Lil-Rokslider
Me and my friend are from Hawaii and we were talking about this the other day. Seems to us axis and wild hogs (sows or casturated boars) here are the best we've had879F2104-154E-4C07-AB94-8E6AE5D9EA3D.jpegAA423AE4-382F-4C32-9E86-8EC23B096E90.jpeg

Smoked ham from a hog I shot the other day. I'm surprised not many people in this thread have mentioned wild hogs

Last edited: