What's the cheap and easy way to get started on yotes

Rob5589

WKR
I need to get my daughter some trigger time on animals. She "buck fevered" a buck at 20 yds last season; she freaked out that it was staring at her :LOL:
Afterwards I realized she had never shot at an animal with her big rifle and figured shooting some yotes could be helpful.
Any tips on how to get started?

Thanks

Jim1187

Lil-Rokslider
The cheapest would be just spending time in areas the frequent while armed. Success will be low but I have killed some just because I was suitably armed and they crossed my path. I know locally DNR guys can be very helpful in pointing you in the right direction for spots, usually where they're getting complaints.

A couple of hand calls is cheaper than an electronic caller but its easier to use a Electronic caller. With some practice hand calls can be more effective, in my experience, particularly in pressured areas where coyotes seem to learn the noises popular E caller's make. I use both. I am fond of foxpro for E calls and my hand calls are made locally, it probably doesn't matter all that much as I have even used my dogs squeaker toy with success. The main thing is getting out there after them as much as possible. Its hard to get any if you don't go.

cobbc03

Lil-Rokslider
Don't, it would be a very big mistake. Coyote hunting is a lot like crack, you cant just do it once... The cheapest will definitely be mouth calls. You can get a couple of them for under $30 and you are all set for daylight. As Jim said, e-callers are easier, and you can have a ton of different sounds. I'm a foxpro guy, the patriot is their entry level call unless you want one you cant add sounds to. Generally night hunting in most areas will be more productive, I've seen people use regular lights, but I think red is the best option. There are some decent and cheap options on amazon. Good luck!

Txrookie

Lil-Rokslider
Don't, it would be a very big mistake. Coyote hunting is a lot like crack, you cant just do it once... The cheapest will definitely be mouth calls. You can get a couple of them for under $30 and you are all set for daylight. As Jim said, e-callers are easier, and you can have a ton of different sounds. I'm a foxpro guy, the patriot is their entry level call unless you want one you cant add sounds to. Generally night hunting in most areas will be more productive, I've seen people use regular lights, but I think red is the best option. There are some decent and cheap options on amazon. Good luck!
I agree. The patriot is a great way to get started. Mouth calls are great but there’s nothing more frustrating than feeling like you’re wasting your time. You can also get a wicked scan light for fairly cheap and they’re great. I like it more than my coyote light and it was 3-4x more. And with that setup you’ll be good to go for awhile. You’ll be hooked the first time you light up a pair of eyes.

The cheap/easy way to do it is grab any old predator mouth call from the store, sit up against a tree or other cover, and try to call one in. Start soft and get louder. Works best earlier in the morning rather than mid day or evening. You can go deep into predator hunting but you can get the excitement of calling one in for about $12.

TheGDog

WKR
First I will say this... predator hunting *can be* very frustrating and dis-heartening in the beginning. A LOT of effort with little to no reward. Especially when you have to do it all on foot and have to hike-in a ways.

And blowing a call is quite a bit more physical than you'd think it would be. Good exercise. But eventually learn to do the blowing more with your cheek muscles then your diaphragm, that'll help ya to not get all winded out.

To help her not lose interest quickly, explain to her that if hawks and vultures happen to come in to your calling that this is a good sign that you're doing something right.

Start with closed reed calls. They are easy to blow and don't require a lot of skill with your Embouchure.

Get a MOJO motion decoy. The one with the 3 shocked-corded legs is much quicker and easier to setup rapidly, especially if your area doesn't have soft dirt. And makes it easy to set it up upon a Rock if need be for greater height and visibility sometimes.

Mouth calls are inexpensive, loud as heck, and more realistic sounding. Watch a ton of video so your ear can kinda pickup on what you're sorta supposed to sound like when blowing them. Those Primos Randy Anderson how to videos on Youtube are a good place to start.

I've had success with Primos 3rd Degree, but what I don't like about it's design is you *can* blow too hard and cause the reed to "hit-the-wall" and mess-up and the sound either stops coming out or tweaks weird. The Dan Thompson calls.. you can blow as hard as you want and they won't mess up like that.

You'll want to make use of concealment gear.

If a more hot desert-y area get this :

if a more hot woodland area get this :

This is my main all around goto, the 3D Leafy suit :
With the facemask:

Sorry about the links not being in-line, I can't seem to access the editing icons for tricking out the post.

You'll want a Predator/Turkey Seat Cushion. They have braced back support. Very helpful at keeping you from getting super sore on your sets.

like this kind, this Beard Buster brand seems to have the thickest cushion part:

EDIT: In general they say to call into the wind... realize the predator will likely attempt to circle in around, unseen to the downwind side of the call/decoy. So you want to setup where that will likely make him have to cross by near where you elect to sit at. Good FOV is VERY important!!! I've had a Bobcat come in to being just 8yds away from me and I didn't know it because of poor choice at where I setup my sit location. When you initially pick a sit location... BEFORE you decide this is the spot.. make sure to crouch down and look around from that lower height your head will be at on the sit. Often you'll find what looked like a good spot ends up not being a good spot because too much stuff blocking your view from down there.

Last edited:
Coyotes are tough targets for kids with little experience. They don’t hold still much and shot opportunities are brief.

Take your daughter to TX for a late season MLD doe and cull hunt. She can shoot 5-10 deer for about a grand depending on where you go.

Source?
Coyotes are tough targets for kids with little experience. They don’t hold still much and shot opportunities are brief.

Take your daughter to TX for a late season MLD doe and cull hunt. She can shoot 5-10 deer for about a grand depending on where you go.