What's the collection of states you can..........

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
You can draw tags in almost all of the Western states with no points if you are just looking for a decent hunt but most of the draws are already done (UT, CO, NV, WY, MT). Oregon is due tomorrow and AZ deer is not done yet. I think you can still do OTC hunts in CO also, maybe just left over tags but I think there are general season archery units available too. There will also be left-overs and second draws in some states. Some require you to apply (ID), while others like WY are first come, first served. Utah used to have left-overs, but I think they have sold the archery quota during the draw and now with their new system, I'm not sure what the situation will be this season since they split the state into a bunch of zones for deer. NM also has OTC tags for archery deer.

Depending somewhat on your location and schedule I would look at trying to get a CO tag, then probably ID, AZ, NM or OR depending on your location and who you know.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I agree with Darin, for Colorado, though, you'll have to wait for the leftover list to come out before you can buy OTC as they are actually draw tags that are left over. All deer hunts all weapon types are limited in Colorado.

OP
bowhnter7

bowhnter7

Lil-Rokslider
Ok maybe I should clairify a situation.

You just found out you DID NOT draw and are looking to spot and stalk mule deer somewhere. Where can you go and buy a tag OTC?

OR

Lets say you want to add a mule deer hunt in another state after their draw process, who has tags OTC?

There are no general season archery deer tags in Co. Not that I know of anyway, yes maybe leftover but the list wont come out for a while and usually those spots that may have a few left over are not that good.

Washington is actually a pretty decent state if you want to hunt otc archery.

Idaho, Washington, Oregon, and Arizona are the states I know you can hunt otc archery for mule deer.

OP
bowhnter7

bowhnter7

Lil-Rokslider
I think ID probably offers best mule deer OTC archery hunts for a NON RES

I just read in the Western Hunter mag a good article about a hunt two guys did. It was a rifle hunt but they had a pilot fly them into a remote spot. Shot two bucks and two wolves. Pic's and story was good.

I'll have to check out their non res arhcery tags.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Much of Central Idaho is fly-in and there are some good bucks back there, but it's logistically tough. I know if a hunter set a 3-5 year plan and learned that country back in there, could kill 25-30" deer pretty regularly. It's all rifle though.

Idaho has tons of opportunity for archers on OTC tags. Check out the one muleyman got in Idaho on an OTC (from our website):

http://wescout4u.com/welcome-to-we-scout-for-you/about-us/tyler-williams/

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
There are some nice options in Idaho - one of the fly in, back country units would not be on my list though. Unit 39 has a fun late archery hunt that is decent - nothing compared to what it used to be, but guys do kill a few nice ones. Weather helps on this. I think the season is about Nov 10 - 20. Unit 55 is also pretty good it is usually open Nov 19 - Dec 19. Weather helps - this one can be extremely cold and windy. Unit 28 has a late hunt also - access is tough, this would be a good one to combo with a wolf tag. I like these rut hunts, they can be your best chance for finding a wall hanger and you will see a lot of deer.

For early, high country hunts I would consider the units between the middle fork of the salmon and the snake, Unit 43 has some remote high country that holds a few nice bucks. Also maybe some of the SE units like 67 (backpack). If you want more of a high desert hunt with some aspen and timber, try 54, 56, 57, 47.

If you can't get a CO leftover tag I would try Idaho if one of your "wants" is a chance at a giant buck. The state's mule deer are beat down compared to the past, but you still might find a monster. Enlisting Robby might be a really good investment though cuz it ain't easy.

Coop

J-Daddy

WKR
Nebraska is another OTC state for Non-Resident....Good luck finding a mule deer out there though, there are still some around but nothing like it was a few years ago.

OP
bowhnter7

bowhnter7

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks Coop. Was specifically looking for Aug/Spt hunt and I'm not in search of a booner just like to hunt em.
Courious why you would stay away from the fly in units?

Yes I'm looking into Robby.

I'm keeping my options open for some Co. leftover tags, one unit in particular but it's not looking good.

I'm originally from Ne. Most likely I will be back there during the 1st week of Nov but not after mule deer, whitetails. BTW you'd be suprised about the mule deer that are left there.

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The fly in units in Idaho have any weapon seasons so you'd be hunting with rifle guys, and... the dates don't open until Sept. 16th so you wouldn't have deer in velvet. Waaaay harder to find them once they hit the timber.