What's the consensus on T/C Pro Hunters for big game hunting?

AustinL911

Lil-Rokslider
My ultimate desire for a backcountry rifle that I have to pack in is a Kimber Adirondack in 6.5c, however, I'm not quite ready to drop the coin on one + an optics setup for it. What I'm thinking instead to get me by for a few years is to buy a barrel for my T/C Pro Hunter muzzle loader that I purchased from Haus of Arms. It's already been tweaked, has a fantastic trigger that they worked over, and is relatively light as it is.

I was thinking about having them ream out one of Bellm's .30-06 barrels to 300wm and chop it to 22" to maintain the handiness that I have now with the 20" muzzleloader barrel, and maybe port it. Yea, I know 22" isn't ideal for a magnum caliber, but I think it will be sufficient for what I want it for (and extremely loud...), which is for most North American big game <600yd.

The single shot could prove to be a pain in the ass, but for a temporary setup (and maybe a future Alaska moose/griz gun), I think it will work for the time being.

I searched, but couldn't find much discussion on these rifles being used. Anyone use one and how do you like it? I love it in muzzleloader mode, so I'm hoping that carries over in centerfire mode.

Axlrod

WKR
I used an Encore in 280 AI for Elk and Mule Deer hunting for 5 or so years. 26" barrel. Having a single shot hasnt ever been issue for me. it is still pretty compact with a 26". Many years ago i packed a 30 Herrett contender pistol. I also have an Encore in 416 Rigby 28" ported unbelievable recoil!
I have all Bellm parts in all my t/c's, they go 1/2 moa with handloads.

Axlrod

WKR
I would see how long for Bellm to rechamber the 06 for you. My Nephew had him do a 270 AI and it shoots very small but it was about a 9+ month wait.

unsuccessful

Lil-Rokslider
I really enjoyed hunting with my Pro Hunter. I will be putting a slightly more custom TC together in the future to serve as my primary hunting rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bruno59

WKR
I came out to Montana from Virginia about 8 years ago and all I brought with me was a two encores, 264win mag and a 25-06 and have killed everything with them elk,deer,antelope,mt.lion and lots of coyotes the single shot has done me well I did pick up a lighter bolt action to hunt in grizzly areas and carry in the mtns. mine are heavy barrels and weigh about 9lbs. my tikka t3x in 308 weighs 7lbs.

I would call Mike bellm and see if he has any 300wm in stock. The last one I bought from him was a Bergara barrel accurized by mike/kurt. I don't think i could have had a new chamber cut for what he charged for a complete tube
He used to have a pretty good inventory, even a bunch of oddball stuff. Bellm was a great guy to work with .... I'm certain he'll take care of you.

As far as the platform it's solid, and probably doesn't get enough credit in the hunting community.

I really enjoyed hunting with my Pro Hunter. I will be putting a slightly more custom TC together in the future to serve as my primary hunting rifle.

Not to hijakc the thread, but how much do these things weigh without glass?

LOVE my pro hunter. Got 308, 223, 22-250, 7-08, 409x50. Definitely one of my favorites and very underrated in big game hunting. Except the muzzle loaders. They get lots of publicity.
add01693365db9488a333dbd5bc353cc.jpg

Axlrod

WKR
Not to hijakc the thread, but how much do these things weigh without glass?
Here are some I weighed before i put scopes on. All include scope base in the weight
Encore:
280AI 26" custom shop hvy BBL 7lb 4oz
416 Rigby 28" factory hvy w/ non removable break 7lb 3oz

Contender carbine:
20 Vartarg 23" mgm sporter 5lb 11oz
375 JDJ 23" factory hvy 5lb 15oz