Whats the deal with gaiters?

Ralphie

WKR
For deep snow probably pretty nice. Other than that mostly to look cool and be like the guys on tv. Also something else to sell you, like the socks you see guys packing their rifles around in.

_Scooter_

Lil-Rokslider
In addition to all the reasons mentioned already, they're also great for adding just a little bit of warmth when the temps drop, which can definitely help especially if you're wearing uninsulated boots.

Any time in the mountains they'll be appreciated. Definitely not "just to look cool". Sure, they aren't 100% necessary, but do they make like a little easier when slogging through wet, sloppy, or loose conditions, protect and keep the bottoms of your pants from getting ripped, muddy and keeps your boots dry? Absolutely. Ever get a tiny rock in your boots? Not with gaiters. Also great layer of protection for your overpriced Softshell, hunting specific pants when going through brush and an extra layer of protection for those pants if you're wearing crampons.

I have a pair of OR gaiters left over from my ice climbing days and definitely wouldn't hesitate to wear them hunting if the conditions warranted.

Last edited:
I only really bring mine out in wet/snowy weather. I haven't had great success with the lighter weight versions. For me or OR Crocodiles or none at all. I do like to wear them in heavy rain as it keeps moisture from wicking up your pant legs.

My wife on the other hand... hikes all summer long in short khaki shorts and tall OR gaiters. So maybe you could try that method out if you want to shake things up.

I've never understood the complaint about the heat with gaiters. Do people's lower legs really overheat in any temps? I've worn them in triple digit heat on the Plains and over heated lower legs never even crossed my mind. So September in the high country chasing elk all over the mountains isn't an issue at all with gaiters, and I wear the Yukons (the tall ones).
I honestly will sweat on my lower legs from walking in them. My lower legs will almost be as wet as if I was walking through wet grass without gaiters. That being said I use them more often than not.

ridgefire

WKR
I didn't buy into gaiters until I bought a pair and now love them. Main reason is they keep your pants and socks dry from the dew in the grass and for quick creek crossings. I typically only wear them for a few hours in the morning in Sept but use them quite a bit for hunting western Washington in the late seasons and scouting. Also helps protect pants from snags and tears. I have been fairly happy with my Kennetrek gaiters but might try the Sitka Thunderhead gaiters next. My son has the Sitka ones and loves them.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Like others have said, they help keep paints dry, keep stuff out of my boots, protect my lower legs if busting thorny brush, and keep bugs out. That said, I normally only wear mine to keep water from wicking down my socks in wet or snowy areas. Though sometimes I find myself wishing I had brought them when I leave them behind.

They contribute more with shorter boots than with long. I also don't find them worth while (other than in snow) if I'm just hiking a trail. I also think they look dumb, but find them too functional to ditch completely.

Of course, I hear most hunters just carry rifles to look like the guys on TV, so it is probably the same with gaiters and boots instead of flip-flops.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
All it will take is one time of getting into the wrong burrs and you'll never want to go without gaiters again. There is one particular place I've elk hunted that has these tiny burrs that come off the plants in droves. They were so bad I couldn't get them off in camp, they were poking me even through my gloves, and 100's of them from my boots almost up to my knees. I had to use a pumice stone to get them off when I finally got home and that wore tiny holes in the pants. But those burrs don't stick to my gaiters much at all, and if they do they swipe right off.

Jimss

WKR
The only time I've warn gaiters is in deep snow and I hunt Colo and Wyo every year. If you wear rain pants you really don't even need them unless you have short hiking boots. Just another thing to put in your pack and lug around. Some of them are super noisy and spook game. I tried them a few times and my ankles got wet from sweat more than if I didn't even wear them!

rm06

WKR
I don't like to jump in and parrot what's already been said but if you've ever hiked in deep snow, doing so without gaiters just plain sucks. Snow pushes your pant leg up while stepping into it and the tops of your boots act like a shovel to carry it back up - they're worth their weight in gold when you need them. They can also help trap some heat if your feet get chilly and they're invaluable for water crossings as long as it isn't too deep.

That all said, I rarely wear them, especially when it's warmer. Too hot and sweaty.

tttoadman

WKR
And, at night, when you need to stand up from your bivy or from out of your tarp to piss, gaiters provide you a clean, dry surface to stand on.
I too use mine as a dry working surface in the TP. I wear mine almost all the time. I don't have a problem with heat. If I am going to carry them anyway, I will carry them on my feet instead of adding to my pack weight. The only time I will ditch is when the days are guaranteed warm and dry all day.

pirogue

WKR
Without gaiters, your pants can get saturated quickly, from dew, while chasing elk across some meadows.

Listen it's ok to wear gaiters to look bad ass.

I think Rinella had something like that on one of his podcasts. Wherever I heard it I had a good laugh.

I come from a mountaineering/alpine climbing background and this is funny because gaiters are the opposite of bad ass in most climbing circles. Good mountaineering pants will have an internal gaiter with two tabs inside the pant leg where you can loop a section of stretchy cord to secure under your boot. Works great to keep out snow. If I'm not wearing pants with an internal gaiter I do wear OR gaiters while hunting in deep (>12ish inches) snow, but otherwise they don't leave the house.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
any recommendations on a pair?

for deep snow, very wet- tough to beat the Kuiu Yukons- very waterproof, easy on/off, pretty quiet and thus far seem to be very durable

for shorter gaiters I've had good luck with Sitka's Ascent gaiters (on year four with them w/ a ton of miles)

Tall wet grass in cold temps. Dry feet are warm feet. Waterproof boots can't keep water from rolling down your ankles into your socks.

Charleston area is pretty wet, sort of tropical. Humidity under 60% is rare. Average humidity is 73%. :)

Last edited:

CS0032

FNG
Good info on this thread. I’m headed to Montana this year and had the same question.