Whats the deal with gaiters?

Yeah, I feel my feet cooking with increased sweat due to the gaiters trapping some moisture.
I get hit from them too. But the benefits are great and still use them. However I pretty much always bring in a second pair of socks too because my feet sweat so bad and then freeze off if I don’t get them dry.

Poser

WKR
I get hit from them too. But the benefits are great and still use them. However I pretty much always bring in a second pair of socks too because my feet sweat so bad and then freeze off if I don’t get them dry.

Mine have a permanent sweat line stained into them at the top of my boot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jauwater

WKR
I haven't spent much time out west but, here in NC waking up in the mountains everything is soaked in dew. I use gaiters year round hiking in the mountains mainly in the mornings or during light rain just to keep my pants from getting soaked and, leaking into my boot. Covering a long grassy stretch of land in the morning covered in dew was initially the experience that got me wanting some. If I'm heading through thick brush with thorns, I'll throw them on to protect my lower pant leg. I'll also strap them on if I'm going up steep rocky terrain to help protect my boot and laces from the rugged terrain. I always wear them in snow. If I'm in the woods my gaiters are with me. I even got a pair I wear for work now, when I'm putting plumbing in the dirt in tight deep ditches. Keeps my pants from riding up from catching the ditches wall when walking, protects the boot, and keeps out the dirt clumps.

I've been using Hillsound Gaiters for a few years now.

Sent from my SM-S205DL using Tapatalk

ZuluBravo

WKR
Everyone has pretty much covered it. Gaiters aren’t “needed” but definitely nice to have in deep snow, when it’s really wet, and in thick brush. Ive got a couple of different versions from tall waterproof ones to short trail runners. Depends on the weather/terrain on which pair I wear, if any.

I bought mine mainly for the dew and moisture protection in the mornings. And to keep my ankles warm when up In the tree stand in the winter if I’m not wearing boots on some of my longer hikes in. I’m taller so pants will ride up a ways when sitting in the tree stand or handing in a saddle. Gaiters solve that problem.

WyoWrangler

Lil-Rokslider
I have a pair or OR crocs, didn’t think I would wear them in the warm weather, but I’ve been using them more often recently. Walking through thick sage or deadfall they protect your pants and you never have to worry about debris getting in your boots. Tested them out crossing small creeks and if they are fit tight enough and you don’t let the water go over the tops they do great keep you dry. Probably will have them with me all hunting season from archery to rifle, easily becoming a essential item for me.

jrnd

Lil-Rokslider
On top of keeping moisture out of my boots and pants, they also help keep burrs and other prickly plants from going into them as well.

Silver

FNG
I carry a pair of OR Crocodile gaiters in the mountains and use them almost always. I run hot, and I find wearing any kind of shell pants when it isn’t actively storming tend to create a sauna effect where one isn’t really desired. Gaiters help keep boots/socks dry without having to throw the shell pants on. I don’t really even notice that they’re on anymore.

They’re also great keeping sticks/burrs/etc out as others have noticed. We’re short on baby cobras in the BC mountains,so I can’t comment on that aspect (honestly pathfinder, I think I’d have just shot my leg off at that point).

Ben Allen

FNG
Needed? Probably not. A preference to wear them......maybe. I've hunted many times without them and many with them. I prefer to wear them. CO is normally dry, but they do a great job of keeping all the stuff (pine needles, sticks, burrs, and whatever) out of my boots and off my pants. They also keep your lower pants dry, which then keeps most of your boot dry. They also protect your pants. I didn't wear mine last year one afternoon, and that was the day I slid into a blowdown with a broken off branch that ripped my pants. That wouldn't have happened with my gaiters on.
Spot on

mlgc20

WKR
I think one majorly overlooked benefit of gaiters that they can help keep critters out. I started wearing them in Afghanistan after having a baby cobra crawl up my pant legs in a sniper hide. I am not a fan of most snakes and critters but that was a lesson I only had to learn once
When I started reading your post, I was nodding my head in agreement, thinking you were going to be referring to ticks or spiders. I didn't see the "baby cobra" thing coming. I mean WTF?

Seriously, thank you for your service.

I think one majorly overlooked benefit of gaiters that they can help keep critters out. I started wearing them in Afghanistan after having a baby cobra crawl up my pant legs in a sniper hide. I am not a fan of most snakes and critters but that was a lesson I only had to learn once
Yikes!!! I wear mine to keep ticks out turkey hunting (sprayed with permethrin before season) & to keep sticks and crap out when elk hunting. Never had to deal with a cobra getting up there but that sounds just awful.

Pathfinder27

Lil-Rokslider
When I started reading your post, I was nodding my head in agreement, thinking you were going to be referring to ticks or spiders. I didn't see the "baby cobra" thing coming. I mean WTF?

Seriously, thank you for your service.
Haha. Yeah. And my spotted just played it off like nothing, dumped out his Gatorade, scooped the little snake in there, put it in his cargo pocket and took it back to the outpost to show everyone. My wife said I should have gotten a tattoo of it on my leg as a memory but I effing hate snakes so

Poser

WKR
I tried some new gaiters out this week. OR Thru Hikers, which are a super lightweight, non waterproof gaiter. Even though they got soaked (it was so wet I think even today/GTX gaiters would have gotten saturated), they did a good job keeping snow and debris out of my boots. I think these will be a great option for hot and dry weather. Also, they are light enough, that I wouldn’t be opposed to Bringing a second pair of burlier gaiter when the weather warrants it.

22c00acc39d7d911281827de24aec6c7.jpg

f6bf4f66048b4a27da19e0691ae7f9ab.jpg

406unltd

WKR
I run mine different than others. I put them under my pants and let my pants do their job of drying. It puts the gaiter directly over my boot and the pant doesn’t wick up under the gaiter when they are worn over the pant. Plus it’s quieter. Not saying my way is right but it’s just what has worked for me.

I have used gaiters off and on. It is one of the last pieces of gear/clothing I would spend money on after I had everything else I need. I bring a pair with me on most hunts but don't use them and they stay in the truck/base camp most of the time. If I was hunting where its wet more often or deeper snow I might use them more.

Out of probably 100 days I have owned them while hunting but but not wearing them I can remember 1 day thinking I should of had them on. It was day 14 of hunting during November in ND. I had hunted in temps from -10 to 35. There was snow on the ground the entire time. Day 14 it warmed up to around 40ish and after being out all day and packing a deer out the bottom of my pant legs were soaked to about my knee. Perfect day to of worn them.

For deeper snow and wet brush they work pretty good. I've never needed more than my pant legs to keep debris out of my boots.

hikenhunt

WKR
The OR crocodiles are a great waterproof option. I also have a short set that I sometimes use when its dry out and I don't have tall boots on.