Whats the deal with gaiters?

Rokwiia

WKR
I have both OR and Turtleskin gaiters. The Turtleskins are also snakeproof which is why I got them. There is about a half ounce per gaiter weight penalty but it gives me protection not available with the ORs. Needless to say, my ORs have since been collecting dust.

Stepping over a downed tree or near a rock without knowing what's on the other side or can result in a big problem.

https://turtleskin.com/default/outd...protection/snake-gaiters-4/snake-gaiters.html

Last edited:
I don't always wear mine, but I do enjoy wearing trail running shoes while hunting and the gaiters keep brush/thorns/low water and moisture out of my shoes while hiking. That said, I do sweat in them and will remove them when not actively moving in an area that requires them. Also if I'm wearing actual boots, I don't usually wear them either, but it's terrain/weather dependent.

Hogslayer

FNG
I was wondering the same thing as the poster. I thought they were just for walking in snow or rain. Very informing responses, and I can definately see a reason to wear them, if nothing more than to keep crap out of my boots.

Rokwiia

WKR
I do a lot of off-trail backpacking (bushwhacking) and there is always blowdown and tree branches everywhere. It's easy to scrape your pants below the knee.

Gaiters help to protect your pants and reduce injury from getting poked by a sharp branch.

I love gaiters. I wear them 90% of the time that I hunt. I hunt CA A zone and its super hot/dry. Gaiters are a lifesaver for keeping foxtails, brush etc out/off your socks and boots. I hunt archery elk as well and typically wear them for those hunts as most areas when I wake up are damp/wet and walking through tall grass is a killer for the rest of the day. The tradeoff for comfort and convenience to weight/heat penalty is very much worth it for me. I also have chicken legs that dont overheat often.

Mk7mmSTW

WKR
They are a must wear 24/7 if your from Utah chasing elk in WY. Every guy has them on even though it’s 82 degrees, seems to go well with their flat brimmed hat and 3 foot long stabilizer.
😂😂😂😂😂

Gaiters are a must for snow and wet brush, but that’s about it as your feet will sweat.

j33

WKR
Wore First Lite Traverse gaiters to help keep me dry in morning dew. I wore them all day at first but in the hot weather found it was better to take them off for the day by late morning. My feet ran cooler and stayed dryer. If you’re going in any long grass with few they will help for sure also with snow it’s a must.

JNDEER

WKR
I've never understood the complaint about the heat with gaiters. Do people's lower legs really overheat in any temps? I've worn them in triple digit heat on the Plains and over heated lower legs never even crossed my mind. So September in the high country chasing elk all over the mountains isn't an issue at all with gaiters, and I wear the Yukons (the tall ones).

yes sir. Some people have sweaty feet and thus wearing gators when not needed cause excess moisture the socks/boots have to try and wick away.