What's the deal with KUIU? Disappointing!!

ChrisAU

WKR
I’ve had multiple size exchanges after a sale. They always charge me the sale price and give free shipping on the new size, and refund me when they get the wrong size back. Call back and get somebody different. Yes you’ll be charged twice, but they will refund once you get the original back. And again they’ve honored sales prices for me multiple times when exchanging sizes.

Usi05

WKR
Sent my Kuiu pack in after elk hunt this year. Owned pack a month before my hunt and a few zippers broke.

That was October’s still waiting on my replacement. The rep has been fantastic but it’s taking forever!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m surprised to hear they wouldn’t make the exchange/purchase at the sale price. I bought some gear from KUIU and a week later it went on sale. I called to ask if they would adjust my order to the sale price mostly expecting and prepared for them to say no. But they did it without blinking an eye. If the exchange was for the same item but just a different size, it seems they’d handle it as ChrisAU has experienced.

Shotshill

FNG
I live about 30 kin from the KUIU factory store and a good friend of mine makes their pack frames... The store staff were absolutely useless to me and my wife on 4 different occasions. I was all in with keeping it local but they unearned my wallet which spends well else where. They were arrogant yet useless and my $$ flow else where. The clothing market is a crowded market space with quality vendors ... KUIU will be a WHO-U at some point

I live about 30 kin from the KUIU factory store and a good friend of mine makes their pack frames... The store staff were absolutely useless to me and my wife on 4 different occasions. I was all in with keeping it local but they unearned my wallet which spends well else where. They were arrogant yet useless and my $$ flow else where. The clothing market is a crowded market space with quality vendors ... KUIU will be a WHO-U at some point

Not arguing that this happened, but last time I was in there, I had a guy help me who was very knowledgeable about the product

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tdot

WKR
I've been using Kuiu for years, their prices used to be amazing for the product. Their service was always top tier as well. I was fully kitted out, so havent purchased from them since 2014. Recently I had to repair some items and buy some replacement parts. First person I spoke to was amazing, unfortunately we were cut off before I got her name. I called back and the next person was beyond useless. So I hung up and called a 3rd time. Different person again, but once again they were amazing, knew the products inside/out. Ended up shipping me a bunch of replacement parts without charging me. She gave me her direct line and email for any future problems.

I think they are growing faster then they can keep up and simply arent able to find the same level of people consistently, especially on a seasonal basis.

Teejay68

FNG
I called Kuiu a couple years ago to see if they offered a military discount. The guy on the phone berated me for asking. I couldnt believe the way he had talked to me! Sitka, First Lite and Kryptek all offered military discounts. I ended up going with Kryptek and have been super happy with all my purchase. At this point, I wouldnt wear Kuiu if it was free.

*zap*

WKR
I think every company has some useless csr service folks working for them, I would try calling back and getting someone else on the line. I am very happy with my Kuiu clothing but I usually purchase used.

Jardo

WKR
If they had a retail outlet or distributors, I would understand them not wanting to exchange for size. But when they decided to go directly to the consumer, they should allow people to exchange sizes. Sitka and Skre both do this. Especially if their sizing is typically on the smaller side which confuses the hell out of most of us. Kuiu is not my first choice for this reason.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My son who lives in Montana wanted some KUIU pants for Christmas. I've heard that Kuiu can run a little small - so I bought him a 36 waist instead of his normal 34 during Kuiu's Black Friday sale. When my wife and I went out to see my son last week, we gave him his Christmas present (pants) and they were too big. My son calls Kuiu today and asks if he can exchange the pants for a 34. They tell him no, he can return the pants for a refund - but they don't do exchanges. So guess what? The sale is over, and if my son wants to reorder the same pants in 34 waist, he has to pay full price.

This is pretty disappointing to me. Kuiu makes a good product and gets a good price for it - even when it's on sale. Seems like their customer service should be customer focused too - but it's not. I had initially planned on buying my son one piece of Kuiu gear every year for Christmas until he had a full set of various gear - starting with the Kuiu Down pants I purchased for him last year. Instead, I told him to return the pants, I'll get my money back, and we'll take our business to one of the other games in town that provides better service.
What pants are these? 36 is my size with kuiu...

I called Kuiu a couple years ago to see if they offered a military discount. The guy on the phone berated me for asking. I couldnt believe the way he had talked to me! Sitka, First Lite and Kryptek all offered military discounts. I ended up going with Kryptek and have been super happy with all my purchase. At this point, I wouldnt wear Kuiu if it was free.
They do offer a 10% military discount on full price items.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Kuiu has jumped the shark. I was a huge fan but as I wear out my kuiu stuff I’ll be replacing it with things from other companies.

Jethro

WKR
OP, you may want to read kuiu return/exchange policy for yourself. Seems there is some miscommunications going on. It doesn’t cover the sale price issue but I can’t believe they wouldn’t honor the sale price. I’ve never experienced that with any vendor, kuiu or others.

fbhandler

WKR

I just got my military discount set up with them... come to find out, if you have anther coupon code you can’t use em both, it’s one or the other. I’m not sure how I feel about that right now, as it seems with most companies the military discount is an additional 10% regardless of other codes and sales. At least that’s been my experience. Not to mention I get like 100 emails from Kuiu every day trying to sell me this or that, but never just a strait 10-20% code for what I want. It’s like they think they know what I should buy or something...

Needless to say I’m a little frustrated with them right now too, but the generosity of the folks here at Rokslide has tempered it a bit.

YMMV

Teejay68

FNG
Yes they do, but when I called to inquire, the guy on the other end asked snarkely if I think im special or something because I joined the military. I said excuse me? He said something else snarkely and I just hung up. Sitka offers military discounts through an LE website but I forgot which one. I think it was 25%, but the person on the phone was great. Firstlite and Kryptek both offer good direct military discounts and had great customer service. I ordered a full kit and it was less expensive at Kryptek, so I went with them.
I work with guys that are addicted to Kuiu, but as I said, I wouldnt wear their stuff if it was free at this point.

I can understand a bad experience driving a person away as a customer. But hang around online shopping enough it is bound to happen and eventually you won’t have anywhere to shop. I give most a two strikes your out deal. To me KUIU‘s policies are completely reasonable. Shops like KUIU and FirstLite or even Sitka can’t afford to operate like Amazon. They would go out of business. Many stores won’t let you stack discount codes or use them on top of sale prices. OpticsPlanet and SportOptics come to mind. I’m fine with it that my military discount can’t be used on top of sale prices. That’s fair. KUIU provides a flat rate $7 return shipping label now. They’ve always offered free shipping back to you on exchange items. They have 3 day shipping on $100+ orders. These services are inline with what many online retailers do. Have reasonable expectations and you won’t be so disappointed. If you expect something for nothing then you are always going to find disappointment.

87TT

WKR
Business policies and practices are fine but rude behavior and being ignored is something else. I just can't see supporting a company that allows it. Too many people report bad experiences for it not to be an ongoing problem.

Mike 338

WKR
Got some rain gear. Got the next size up but it's still super tight when worn over jacket. Sized perfectly for an Asian woman though.