What's the deal with KUIU? Disappointing!!

ELKhunter60

Lil-Rokslider
My son who lives in Montana wanted some KUIU pants for Christmas. I've heard that Kuiu can run a little small - so I bought him a 36 waist instead of his normal 34 during Kuiu's Black Friday sale. When my wife and I went out to see my son last week, we gave him his Christmas present (pants) and they were too big. My son calls Kuiu today and asks if he can exchange the pants for a 34. They tell him no, he can return the pants for a refund - but they don't do exchanges. So guess what? The sale is over, and if my son wants to reorder the same pants in 34 waist, he has to pay full price.

This is pretty disappointing to me. Kuiu makes a good product and gets a good price for it - even when it's on sale. Seems like their customer service should be customer focused too - but it's not. I had initially planned on buying my son one piece of Kuiu gear every year for Christmas until he had a full set of various gear - starting with the Kuiu Down pants I purchased for him last year. Instead, I told him to return the pants, I'll get my money back, and we'll take our business to one of the other games in town that provides better service.

SeanDC

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a huge fan of every item I've gotten from First Lite. I'm also as fan of all of my Kuiu gear and my Sitka Timberline pants were awesome this year.

I'm surprised about the customer service. They have bent over backwards to help me more than once. They have had no issues sending me updated clips etc for my backpacks even though I purchased them secondhand.

Every company seems to have different policies about sale items. If I'm not mistaken First Lite won't let you exchange sale items either. I ordered my wife a coat for Christmas when they had a sale a few months ago and I'm really crossing my fingers that it fits!

Sorry to hear about your experience. Any customer driven company like that should handle it better than they did with you.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

keller

WKR
correct they do not exchange.they only return and you have to reorder. but they have always honored the sale price when I reordered a different size or color of the same product.i just give them the order number they see I bought it on sale.send me a new size charge me the sale price and when I return the wrong size credit my card for the return item. have never had a problem with that and done it several times.one time cs told me if its on sale and your undecided on size order both and send the one back that don't fit for credit. either way has worked for me. ive always had good cs except for one snotty gal I just hung up called back and got someone else willing to help. good luck

Cody_W

WKR
Usually have to size up one size for pants. Their CS has been great for me when I have had to get different sizes. Sitka is great, FL is great, Kuiu is great. Just depends on what camo you like for the lost part. Each company has their standout features though. Sorry you’re having issues with them.

I've ordered lots of stuff from Kuiu and so far had any issues for the most part handled professionally. The issue the OP is having is stated in their terms of sale https://www.kuiu.com/terms.html
That’s funny. Terms of sale for a pair of pants? How about they just do the right thing and exchange the pants. They would be out nothing. Trade a new pair of pants for a slightly different size new pair of pants.

Last edited:
I didn't have that problem with First Lite, bought a pair of gloves on their last sale that fit funky so emailed them to exchange next size up. Gotta do the RMA form but they said no problem. I really like the stuff I've gotten from KUIU though so hopefully it's just a procedural thing, ask them if they'll honor the sale price when you reorder.

If I'm not mistaken First Lite won't let you exchange sale items either.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

I had ordered an uncompahgre during the gravy boat sale, ordered black due to low selection of colors in my size. Got it Wednesday and saw that they must have had some returns as cipher and dry earth were back in stock. Spoke with Duke yesterday and he set me up with an RA to exchange for a different color, also confirmed I won't be dinged again for duty on the way back. Top notch service! Sorry to hear Kuiu didn't provide a similar experience in this case.

I like Kuiu and haven't had any problems with their customer service. I does look as though ElkHunter60s situation according to their terms puts the consumer in a poor position. (Buy an item during a sale, need to exchange after the sale.) I bet they update this policy soon. Their customer service has always been real straight forward with all my exchanges and returns.

They replaced completely free of charge a waist belt to a pack I bought in 2015. That seems incongruent with the silly policy the OP mentions.

IdahoElk

WKR
I would call back and speak to a manager, maybe the person taking phone orders doesn't have the authority to do what seems like common sense to us.

Brooks

WKR
Never have had any problem with KUIU . They even send out a return address sticker with all the info to return an order with everything I’ve ever gotten. I think you have to order and pay for a new pair of pants then when they receive the returned piece they credit your card for your first purchase. Works for me....

87TT

WKR
Seems like their CS is hit or miss. I had a buckle break on a pack and never got any response or help. Too many companies with better service and products to mess with Kuiu anymore.

I had to return some Kuiu gloves for a new size but the size I needed was on backorder. They called me when the size I wanted was instock and they honored the sales price I bought the original pair at. That's the only time I've had to use there customer service, they seemed very willing to help.