What's the deal with KUIU? Disappointing!!

I'm don't think this is true with FL, at least universally. I just purchased a vest on sale from FL and it is too big for me. I would have been able to exchange it for the right size, but they are out of stock in that particular size and color. I offered to hold onto the vest until they are restocked, but the CS guy told me the items won't be restocked until spring, and that I should return the vest for a refund.

I see both sides to the issue - I'm irritated when I have to pay shipping (either way), and wish there were unlimited exchanges. But I also figure that each of those cost money, and that if they are being provided by a seller, I'm paying for it somewhere. As for sale items, I suspect that many sales are designed to clear out inventory, so to have the sale price continue on for an extended period of time (such as in my case - to Spring of 2020) with the result being that they are returned some of the inventory they want to clear out, then I get the reason for some of these restrictions.

Here is where I was referred when I wanted to make a return on an uncompaghre that didn't fit. It's on there website. It was my first purchase through First Lite, so I wasn't super familiar with sizing. I guess its on me for not reading their return policy before purchasing, I just assumed a company like First Lite would take a return if its within a few days of purchase. I think Sitka and Under Armour have a fantastic return policy.

"PLEASE NOTE, we do not provide free returns or offer refunds for items purchased through our pro program, during sale periods, third parties, or for products bought through our Outlet. Items purchased on sale, during promotional periods or at a discounted rate cannot be returned for a refund."

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
Here is where I was referred when I wanted to make a return on an uncompaghre that didn't fit. It's on there website. It was my first purchase through First Lite, so I wasn't super familiar with sizing. I guess its on me for not reading their return policy before purchasing, I just assumed a company like First Lite would take a return if its within a few days of purchase. I think Sitka and Under Armour have a fantastic return policy.

"PLEASE NOTE, we do not provide free returns or offer refunds for items purchased through our pro program, during sale periods, third parties, or for products bought through our Outlet. Items purchased on sale, during promotional periods or at a discounted rate cannot be returned for a refund."

You should email them, because I was told I could return mine for a refund when I did so. What size and color do you have, and what are you looking for? I purchased the Uncompaghre vest in XL and Dry Earth and am looking for the same in L. I may just keep my for my son (as he's now bigger than me).

AZ8

WKR
This is why I buy all my clothes at actual brick and mortar stores. Take a few different sizes to the dressing room, pick the best fit, pay cashier, go home! So much easier! Lol

Been happy with my $15 Natural Gear hunting clothes forever! :)

3 things:

1. KUIU's website and promo language has always been very clear about returns and exchanges - see sales promos and outlet purchases. There's at least one reason for it - see #2.

2. To appreciate the greater context, it's important to understand KUIU's production and distribution model (First Lite too). They create, sell it all themselves, start all over, repeat. If they want to clear out items for a great price (mutual benefit), it makes zero sense to hold inventories for exchanges. Keep in mind that this is an innovative clothing biz, not an aftermarket support system for worn car parts.

3. Bad customer service experiences or brands with inconsistent CS responses are a different matter. Brands that are obsessed with providing exceptional customer service are rare. Great brand CS is a relentless management/leadership commitment. You need a culture of CS people able to obey a good faith methodology that tolerates petty, immoral customer behavior in the kindest way, always.

Like it or not, we benefit greatly from the supply strategies of KUIU, First Lite, others. For example, lots of people on this forum are buying and using and praising and able to quickly resell used items for a decent price. Be careful to trash these makers based on what you don't like about logical trade-offs or limitations (ie. no exchanges for clearance items). Be thankful for this stuff, and if a CS person treats you poorly, contact the person that manages the CS manager.

So back to #1: If KUIU warns me up front that my sale or outlet purchases cannot be exchanged, and I push the purchase button..., well...

Last edited:

agardner00

Lil-Rokslider
That’s surprising; I’ve dealt with Kuiu quite a bit, and always had amazing customer service. Buying online, I’ve sent quite a few things back and been treated very well. Last year, for example, I wanted to order something for my 4th season CO elk hunt but procrastinated until less than a week before leaving. In addition, I had a return and wanted to use the refund $ to apply to the new purchase. The customer service rep took down all the info and had me send the return to her personally. Then she stayed on top of the transaction and made sure the refund was processed and the new order shipped within an hour of them receiving the return. The whole thing took place on a Monday and I had new gear Wednesday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fbhandler

WKR
3 things:

1. KUIU's website and promo language has always been very clear about returns and exchanges - see sales promos and outlet purchases. There's at least one reason for it - see #2.

2. To appreciate the greater context, it's important to understand KUIU's production and distribution model (First Lite too). They create, sell it all themselves, start all over, repeat. If they want to clear out items for a great price (mutual benefit), it makes zero sense to hold inventories for exchanges. Keep in mind that this is an innovative clothing biz, not an aftermarket support system for worn car parts.

3. Bad customer service experiences or brands with inconsistent CS responses are a different matter. Brands that are obsessed with providing exceptional customer service are rare. Great brand CS is a relentless management/leadership commitment. You need a culture of CS people able to obey a good faith methodology that tolerates petty, immoral customer behavior in the kindest way, always.

Like it or not, we benefit greatly from the supply strategies of KUIU, First Lite, others. For example, lots of people on this forum are buying and using and praising and able to quickly resell used items for a decent price. Be careful to trash these makers based on what you don't like about logical trade-offs or limitations (ie. no exchanges for clearance items). Be thankful for this stuff, and if a CS person treats you poorly, contact the person that manages the CS manager.

So back to #1: If KUIU warns me up front that my sale or outlet purchases cannot be exchanged, and I push the purchase button..., well...

I agree with most of this, only the “benefits” and “thankfulness” I’m supposed to feel have cost me a small fortune and when there is a CS issue we’re supposed to just be glad these guys are around. “Thankfully” this is still a capitalistic society (for now) where competition “and” criticism are the only way these companies can grow/innovate. I would say many people as well as these companies have/are realizing that much of what is being offered is already out there, often cheaper, as good or better in quality and many times without the hassle of thier “business strategies”... At the end of the day “Customer Service” becomes the main issue !!

Lochtsa71

Lil-Rokslider
I do not own any Kuiu items, but it seems this could have been avoided. It's your responsibility to know your size. This forum would have 20 people help you within minutes if you posted a question like "Do Kuiu pants fit the same as Levi's (insert name brand) "

I understand your frustration, but I would have asked to speak to another customer service or a supervisor.

Trial153

WKR
I do not own any Kuiu items, but it seems this could have been avoided. It's your responsibility to know your size. This forum would have 20 people help you within minutes if you posted a question like "Do Kuiu pants fit the same as Levi's (insert name brand) "

I understand your frustration, but I would have asked to speak to another customer service or a supervisor.

not so much. kuiu sizes are all over the map. even year to year pants of the same model may not fit the same.

Last edited:

Lochtsa71

Lil-Rokslider
not so much. kudu sizes are all over the map. even year to year pants of the same model may not fit the same.

I stand corrected, and thanks for the info. That must be a pain if there isn't consistency with the same model year to year. That alone makes me shy away, I was considering giving the attack and guide pants/jacket a try this year. I'll just stick with Sitka because they haven't let me down yet.

Trial153

WKR
I stand corrected, and thanks for the info. That must be a pain if there isn't consistency with the same model year to year. That alone makes me shy away, I was considering giving the attack and guide pants/jacket a try this year. I'll just stick with Sitka because they haven't let me down yet.

I know I own or owed every sitka pants they made. I can weight them all in the same size ...now I all I need is to stop gaining and loosing weight and I can stop buying pants

Last edited:

mlgc20

WKR
I really like my Kuiu gear. And my dealings with Kuiu customer service have all been good. But, I almost never buy anything from them that is on sale or in their outlet. They are very clear about their policy on that stuff. So, I choose not to buy that stuff.

And while they certainly don’t have Amazons return policy. Charging different prices on certain colors or sizes is pretty common practice. I was looking at Kenetrek boots on Amazon. The 11.5 wide is $100 more than the 10.5 wide. I cant buy the 10.5 and then want to exchange it for the 11.5 at the same price.

Same shit with FL, I wanted to exchange a pair of pants new in package only tried on. And they said no way. There sizing is totally bs and I ordered baised on the rep recommendation. Yeah I was a few day outside of the window because I wasn't home to try them on. I wanted an exchange not a refund. And I would have payed a handling fee.

Then once I found out about the Veteran program I wanted to return something and it was no way has to be an exchange.

I wish stika would get with the program with hip vents in the pants and extend the merino line some.
I'd drop these other brands and be there in an instant.
But I can't do synthetic.

Usi05

WKR
Update to my post. Kuiu is mailing me my new bag this week. Took a while for them to come back in stock but great communication and a pretty cool warranty.

Elk- Kuiu is a great company and I will admit their return policy is a bit of a hassle but I wouldn’t jump ship from one customer service rep experience.
In my dealings with Kuiu customer service they have sent me quite a few items free of charge and always been helpful. I did have an incident that the customer service person didn’t know what the answer was but had me call back and I got the issue fixed.

If I wrote off a company because of an unsatisfactory customer service experience, I wouldn't likely be wearing any of the larger name brand high-end stuff. None of these companies are perfect...they all employ human beings who make mistakes or have bad days.

Conversely, I've had generally excellent customer service experiences with Sitka Gear, First Lite, KUIU and many others. It might take an extra phone call or two to get things worked out, but that's just life. Expecting perfection on the first try is my formula for disappointment. Stories like some in this thread are the reasons companies work hard to please customers. A single bad experience gets endless traction and mileage online and is forever there to read....sort of like a bad hotel or restaurant review.

I wear KUIU (along with other good brands) and after 8 years of continuous product use I have a very high regard for their clothing and customer service.

4ester

WKR
Kuiu’s customer service has always been good to me. Yukon gaiters have been sent back 2x now for repair, postage paid both ways.