What’s the deal with SWFA scopes?

Rus

FNG
So I have been contemplating getting a swfa 3-9x42 for a new hunting rifle. It seems like the scope is always back ordered and never available. Why is this? Ive heard that it is a solid durable choice for the price but is it really in that much of demand? Are they worth waiting and trying to get one or should I move on to something else in that price range?

wildcat33

WKR
They have had supply chain issues going on two years. They come back in stock every now and then. There is one for sale over on 25hr campfire right now.

OP
R

Rus

FNG
Seems like if they are that high in demand they would get that supply problem figured out? Anything out there that’s as good for the price?

WKR
6x swfa is I think better. Much better feeling clicks. Have used them on shots to 600 yards with no issues. Longer on steel. $300 and very rugged scopes. Were in stock recently. Or buy used off other sites as noted.

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
I have 2 scopes on order going on 7 months. Called in around the 3 month mark, and was told they are held up at the border awaiting customs clearance. Called back at 5 months, was told a different story. When I raised the BS flag, dude got rude. I calmly stated I was going off the info I was previously provided (and it was the same guy). I was then told possibly November of this year they will be able to fill my order.

Can't explain why other than they are manufactured by LOW in Japan who makes many highly respected scopes like the bushnell elite tactical line, vortex razor, and some nightforce scopes. There's a lot of folks that want scopes out of them. I wouldn't be surprised if the SWFA line isn't near the top of LOW's profit margin list and aren't a priority.

I've been waiting on a 3-9 SWFA warranty replacement (my fault) since December..

They are literally the greatest scope ever made. I dare say touched by the hand of God.
That might be a bit of exaggeration but they are a great scope for the money. In that price bracket nothing even comes close to the durability and repeatability of the scope.

GMB54-120

Lil-Rokslider
The less expensive SWFA SS line are/were made by Kenko in Japan. All the fixed power rear focus. Did this change? From my understanding their HD scopes are made by LOW and maybe a couple others.

Wrench

WKR
I have a dozen or so of them. For the price point, they bring a bunch to the table. They are far from the best....but at the price point....they crush the competition, and from a durability standpoint....I'd wager top 10%.

TxxAgg

WKR
I have a 6x out for delivery today. It's my first. I'm looking forward to it.

prm

WKR
I much prefer the 3-9 to the 6x. Smaller, lighter, and quite a bit crisper. The 1-6 is another I really like.

Geewhiz

WKR
Late last summer they were out of stock but what they were doing was hoarding stock for black friday sale. On black friday most all inventory was in stock at very good prices. Picked up a fixed 12x and love it. If you can, wait till black friday and maybe you can snag a good deal.

Fatcamp

WKR
I much prefer the 3-9 to the 6x. Smaller, lighter, and quite a bit crisper. The 1-6 is another I really like.

Ya. But the 6X is a very usable scope. I have come to really enjoy mine for what it is. 3-9 now lives on one of my wife's rifles.

Maclowry

FNG
I’ve had a bunch of SWFA’s. For the price, they can’t be beat. Solid budget scopes.
Wish they were in stock.

Can't explain why other than they are manufactured by LOW in Japan who makes many highly respected scopes like the bushnell elite tactical line, vortex razor, and some nightforce scopes. There's a lot of folks that want scopes out of them. I wouldn't be surprised if the SWFA line isn't near the top of LOW's profit margin list and aren't a priority.

I've been waiting on a 3-9 SWFA warranty replacement (my fault) since December..
LOW also makes some top tier bins, including (I've been told) the Zeiss Conquest HD. Just the final assembly is done in Germany. I had a pair of 10x42 Cabelas Outfitter HD's made by LOW that were almost indistinguishable from my Conquest HD's. They make fantastic, durable optics.