What’s the difference in these sworos?

These are a set my grandpa has that I used in New Zealand back in May. What is the difference between them and the darker green SLC ? Is there a difference in the glass at all?

ea7adb0a383137c547abd77cb1a435f0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
What year were those made?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
Jtelarkin08
What year were those made?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I honestly have no idea. The only reason I am asking is because I spent 7 days with them in New Zealand and I wasn’t that impressed. I was curious if they aren’t as good as the dark green ones.

rodney482

WKR
I honestly have no idea. The only reason I am asking is because I spent 7 days with them in New Zealand and I wasn’t that impressed. I was curious if they aren’t as good as the dark green ones.

They are old

OP
Jtelarkin08
They are old

The way he got these is My grandpa had a pair 10+ years old that my uncle trashed. He sent them in to get fixed and they offered him these for $500.

I’m just curious if the newer ones have better glass?

ckleeves

WKR
I could be wrong, but I think those are first gen SLC’s. Then they had the SLC Neu, then the HD version that was only made for one year (I think) then the current version that’s available now.

To answer your question, yes the newer ones have better glass. NEU are a step up from those then the HD’s or the current version are another step above that. Current SLC’s are about as good as it gets.

OP
Jtelarkin08
I could be wrong, but I think those are first gen SLC’s. Then they had the SLC Neu, then the HD version that was only made for one year (I think) then the current version that’s available now.

To answer your question, yes the newer ones have better glass. NEU are a step up from those then the HD’s or the current version are another step above that. Current SLC’s are about as good as it gets.

That is what I was wondering. I honestly think my 9x45 maven are better than this old version of SLC i used. That’s why I was wondering if they were different.

ckleeves

WKR
That is what I was wondering. I honestly think my 9x45 maven are better than this old version of SLC i used. That’s why I was wondering if they were different.

Ya I can believe that. It’s kinda crazy how far optics have come in the past 25 years. A set of mavens or conquest HD’s are better imo then some of the older model swaros.

gregory r

Lil-Rokslider
Those are the old models. The dark green ones are the slc neu. The neu got dielectric prisms, and better lens coatings, aka "swarobright". The current slc got hd glass. I have the older model slc 8x30. Had swaro update them with the swarobright prisms and lenses. Big improvement in brightness, and color rendition.

Watrdawg

Lil-Rokslider
I was able to get a pair of SLC 10x42's off of Ebay for $650 about 5 years ago. The seller spelled Swarovski wrong and I just happened to do the same. I was the only one that bid on these and he didn't have a reserve. I got lucky! They are the SLC Neu's and were built in 2006. I'm planning on sending them in for the upgraded lenses and prisms at the end of the season. I love these bino's.

Marble

WKR
I wonder if there is something wrong with them. Could have a damaged prism or something.

Block

WKR
From the little research I did,, the general consensus seemed to be that 2004 and newer SWARO SLC have “swaroVision” or whatever the upgraded brighter lens are. From there I have no clue if they kept getting better and better but I was told not to buy older than 2004’ by numerous people... I bought a pair of 04’ 10x42 SLC and they seem just as clear as my 2017’ 15x56 SLC

gregory r

Lil-Rokslider
You are correct Block. Swarobright was the first upgrade, dieletric prisms and upgraded lenses. 2007 was the swaroclean hydrophobic lenses. 2009 was the last anti-reflective upgrade to the slc lenses. Then came the hd slc, which is a whole new bino. My 2002 slc 8x30 was upgaded to the 2009 lenses and prisms. The difference is night and day! They can update older ones to the 2009 specs, but cant make them into an hd bino.

AGPank

WKR
From the little research I did,, the general consensus seemed to be that 2004 and newer SWARO SLC have “swaroVision” or whatever the upgraded brighter lens are. From there I have no clue if they kept getting better and better but I was told not to buy older than 2004’ by numerous people... I bought a pair of 04’ 10x42 SLC and they seem just as clear as my 2017’ 15x56 SLC

Swarovision is field flattened lenses only on later model ELs (green, not black barrels).

CBECK61

Lil-Rokslider
Send those bad boys in to be refurbished. It cost like $150 but you will get all the up to date coating and new pieces of exterior glass. It will make a large difference and be well worth the money whether you decided to keep them or sell them. Once they are refurbished I bet you could stack them up against any $1000 bino on the market and they will hold their own. Not sure if they can upgrade the prisms in them but if they can I certainly would spend the money.

Block

WKR
Swarovision is field flattened lenses only on later model ELs (green, not black barrels).

Gotcha.. well that or some other improvement was said to be had in 2004’ you
Know any other details about this?

gregory r

Lil-Rokslider
Block, the slc 7x42 and 10x42 got swarobright prisms and lenses around 2002. The slc 8x30 got them in 2003. The pre swarobright slc had a dimmer, yellower view to them. The swarobright is more color nuetral, and brighter. Swarobright was dielectric prisms, and different coatings, not to be confused with swarovision, which are field flattening lenses. I dont know of anything in 2004, 2006 were the hydrophobic, or easy clean lenses. If the box says Swarobright on it, those are the better slc, up until the hd.

gregory r

Lil-Rokslider
Send those bad boys in to be refurbished. It cost like $150 but you will get all the up to date coating and new pieces of exterior glass. It will make a large difference and be well worth the money whether you decided to keep them or sell them. Once they are refurbished I bet you could stack them up against any $1000 bino on the market and they will hold their own. Not sure if they can upgrade the prisms in them but if they can I certainly would spend the money.

Just wanted to say that it cost me $300.00 to upgrade my slc 8x30 in August. I feel that it was absolutely worth it. With the upgrade, everything inside and out of the bino is brand new. The swarobright made them considerably brighter, and the colors "pop" now. I decided to have them upgraded because I had just purchased a 1995 slc 7x42, that had been upgraded in 2014, and was impressed by the view, compared to my slc 8x30.