What's the furthest out you'd book a hunt?

cfdjay

WKR
With the rapidly changing backcountry/western/Alaskan hunting scene, how far is too far? Are there operations that would refund deposit if say a nonres reg changed? Curious to get thoughts as my hunting plans are pretty solid until 2024 where I was thinking of booking. Thanks!

Probably not too soon to book for 2024. Any outfitter that's popular and has lots of return clients will probably already be booked solid for 2022. Possibly even 2023. I would start to touch base with possible prospects for the 2024 season. If you book now, you would probably avoid having to pay a price increase if they do raise their prices next year or for 2024.

Southeast

FNG
We're not hunting out of Kotz but we booked for 2024 over a year ago. That's what it took to get a drop camp spot with the small operator we chose.

I made the mistake of putting a deposit down on a spring bear hunt in Canada before the pandemic......that was a waste of money.

wyosteve

WKR
For me it would depend on what the deposit refund provision in the contract provides. The further out a person books, the greater something changes that could result in having to cancel plans.

OP
cfdjay

cfdjay

WKR
Any trip/travel insurance options that you guys are aware of?

bmrfish

WKR
I made the mistake of putting a deposit down on a spring bear hunt in Canada before the pandemic......that was a waste of money.

Did they refuse to refund or reschedule?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm still waiting to hear back from the outfitter on what he is will to do for us but for sure 100% we arnt going this year while they still have border restrictions based on the Jab.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I wish you (we) had much a choice than to book when pilots have openings. Regs and bag limits for caribou don't often change like the GMU 23/26A region. Most places are less political, but also many companies don't ask for a lot of coin up front to reserve a flight years in advance BECAUSE they don't want to hold on to and then refund your money down the road.

If you've picked out the right hunt for yourself, ask the pilot for cancellation policy in writing and plan to play that game if it comes down to it.

Behlftball

Lil-Rokslider
It's tough to book so far out. It's definitely a big obstacle for me. I'd personally say 24 months. Happy for the outfitters though

Any trip/travel insurance options that you guys are aware of?
Book with a really good credit card. I have an Amex Platinum, yeah it costs a lot per year (credits from AMEX can easily pay for the cost), but if I call them and explain that something didn't go right with a purchase I made on the card I usually have it back in 2-3 days. I've only had to do it twice but it was super easy.

Laramie

WKR
I'm still waiting to hear back from the outfitter on what he is will to do for us but for sure 100% we arnt going this year while they still have border restrictions based on the Jab.
I'm shopping now for 2025 Alberta or Newfoundland- hoping the restrictions are gone by then.

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
I booked a 2018 trip in 2016, and booked a 2023 hunt in 2020. I find its easier to pay for big hunts when you can save a little bit at a time over the course of 2-3 years, plus its easier to clear these sorts of things with the boss (my wife) when it sounds like a long way out

Rich M

WKR
I typically plan my hunts several years out, not impulsive at all. The threat of 90/10 and "bonus" points was all it took for me to say, pfff this, I'm getting out.

Was/am 3 years into a 6-8 yr antelope plan and with WY talking 90/10 and reducing antelope harvests due to herd issues makes things risky. Will i buy points for another 3 or 4 years and keep trying the original plan? NO! The 90/10 thing is not gonna be secret but it will suddenly be there with lower draw rates, higher point requirements - if they allow the points and don't go straight random draw. Anyway, all that stuff goes against my nature to plan stuff a few years out. Gonna do the bucket list antelope hunt guided in 2023 (he was booked for 2022) and move on to something else. May or may not ever hunt WY again - not gonna swear off of them but will explore other options before going that route again.

A more expensive hunt, I'd get some kind of trip insurance. AK caribou is too rich for my blood. Maybe a fishing trip.

If a guy is trying to get in with a good/great outfitter who usually sells out, then you gotta book a few years out to get into the rotation. A risk but seemingly a smart risk. ???

That whole thing about AK shutting down that caribou unit is tough. Folks booked and at least deposits paid years in advance I'm sure. Gonna change a few lives more than just a hunt or two - the folks who make a living off those places have to adjust into other places that probably already have folks living and working there. Just tough all the way around.

Just booked 2025, as anyone I'd want to get dropped off by, were already booked up through 2024.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Warlord