What’s the hardest hunt?

Thanks. I recently picked up the Kuiu Katana shell. Looking forward to trying it. I have an older pair of Montbell rain pants that have never failed me. Did you need crampons on your Kodiak hunt? I do some land management work and have used Grivel Rans for that. Not a crampon, but certainly extra traction working on steep, muddy slopes. https://grivel.com/products/ran
I would highly recommend some kind of crampon/microspike for sure. I typically use Kahtoola microspikes and I've often times used them for the entire hunt.

Appalaskan

Lil-Rokslider
I would highly recommend some kind of crampon/microspike for sure. I typically use Kahtoola microspikes and I've often times used them for the entire hun
I would highly recommend some kind of crampon/microspike for sure. I typically use Kahtoola microspikes and I've often times used them for the entire hunt.
AK Troutbum, if you don’t mind me asking, what’s your rifle and scope setup for that Kodiak goat hunt? Do you switch setups for goats depending on location or keep it the same?

AK Troutbum, if you don’t mind me asking, what’s your rifle and scope setup for that Kodiak goat hunt? Do you switch setups for goats depending on location or keep it the same?
I actually took two rifles this year, a Kimber Adirondack in .308 with a Leupold UL 3-9x33 (5 lbs. 9 oz.), and a 121 year old Winchester model 1894 in .30 WCF and buckhorn sites. My hope was to get to within a comfortable range (100 yards, give or take), and get one with the old lever, but it didn't happen.
I've been taking a different rifle down every year now for the past several years. Took a .300wsm Kimber Montana in 2012, '13, '14, & '15, .280ai Kimber Montana in 2016, .270 Kimber Mountain Ascent in 2017, and a 6.5cm Barrett Fieldcraft in 2019.

Appalaskan

Lil-Rokslider
I actually took two rifles this year, a Kimber Adirondack in .308 with a Leupold UL 3-9x33 (5 lbs. 9 oz.), and a 121 year old Winchester model 1894 in .30 WCF and buckhorn sites. My hope was to get to within a comfortable range (100 yards, give or take), and get one with the old lever, but it didn't happen.
I've been taking a different rifle down every year now for the past several years. Took a .300wsm Kimber Montana in 2012, '13, '14, & '15, .280ai Kimber Montana in 2016, .270 Kimber Mountain Ascent in 2017, and a 6.5cm Barrett Fieldcraft in 2019.
Taking it with that 1894 would have been a heck of a memory. You’ll just have to pack two rifles on all your hunts now.

How come you swapped out the Fieldcraft for the Adirondack?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How come you swapped out the Fieldcraft for the Adirondack?

I didn’t switch it out really, I still have all those rifles, with the exception of the .280, it’s just that I purchased the Adirondack this past spring and hadn’t hunted with it yet. It’s also my lightest rifle to date. The problem is, I have more rifles than I have time to hunt.:(

Last edited: