What’s the hardest hunt?

Never hunted sheep before but definitely would like too someday soon and I was wondering as to what the hardest one is to hunt between the four in North America or even a goat also. Not including getting the tag or transportation or anything along those lines just the hunt itself. When you put that pack on and get after it for however many days what’s the most challenging because that’s the one I’d like to strive for.

Last edited:

idig4au

WKR
This is a pretty subjective question with no real answer as there are so many variables at play.

I've been on some wicked goat hunts around the world....Ibex are probably some of the most challenging and fun species to hunt. Tur hunting is also a kick in the pants and can redefine your boundaries.

Wapiti1

WKR
Keeping it to North America.

Hike in Dall sheep in the Chugach has to be one of the toughest physically. Just getting to the sheep country is a challenge. Mountain goat is always a challenge, but they aren't as remote.

Unlimited bighorn in MT would be a contender as well.

Internationally, tur in the Caucasus or blue sheep in Nepal. Some of the snow sheep are in tough country, but there is a helicopter flight involved.

Jeremy

leoni1

FNG
In terms of terrain, goat is the toughest (and most dangerous) hunt because of the cliffs and loose talus. I was afraid for all 4 days that I spent on the mountain in BC for a goat hunt. The footing was terrifying, even for a guy who has rock climbed and mountaineered my whole life.

I terms of probability of success, despite never having tried it, I would think the Montana Unlimited would be incredibly tough.

Being an Alberta resident, I think that our resident OTC trophy sheep tag is one of the toughest. Resident pressure, outfitter pressure, rugged wilderness. Last I looked, success rate hovers between 1.5-2%.

Personally, I would go Yukon for a backpack Dall or Fannin hunt. It will probably be the only outfitted hunt I ever do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MtGomer

WKR
The hardest hunt I’ve ever done was 12 days, 10 of them off trail, backpacking the unlimiteds in Montana.
I’ve got dall sheep hunts in the NWT and the Chugach and a mountain goat in the Absaroka range to compare it to.

I’m not saying it’s the hardest, just that it’s the hardest I’ve done.

Last edited:

lonedave

WKR
So far for me....1996 - 7 days hunting mountain goat in the north cascades, WA. Solo with 70's and 80's era non-ultralight gear, if you know what I mean! Luckily I was 38 at the time. Would I do it again.....absolutely....just a slower pace and probably wouldn't cover as much ground. Poor picture of a picture:

IMG_3475[1].JPG

Last edited:

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
I’d say Montana unlimited as well, it’s like a normal (pretty extreme) sheep hunt except before you even get out of the truck you know your chances of seeing a sheep are slim to none, and finding a shooter, almost non existent. Knowing that, after a while will wear on you I’d imagine and make the physical that much more difficult.

Vek

FNG
You can find difficulty about anywhere, hunting anything. If the load is shared with a guide or partner, there's no reason that you couldn't march to the gates of hell and back for a sheep, or a goat. Solo, you risk running out of PTO and food if it dies too far in.

Packing one out any number of miles on/along a terminal glacier is its own brand of suck.

Jimss

WKR
It really depends on the country. Here in Colo there is a unit where several mtn goat hunters have died falling off slides/cliffs over the years and other Colo units that you could drive up to a goat and shoot it right off a road. The same is true with bighorns. There are Colo units with gobs of cliffs and 11,000 to 14,000' elevation and other units in Eastern Colo out in the prairie with a few scattered cliffs.

With that said my Alaska goat hunts have been the most challenging. Just getting to the alpine on the coast can be a challenge....through devil's club/alder jungles. Mark my word...devil's club is no fun! Dealing with clouds, rain, and slick conditions on super steep slopes is rough. In some locations you may have to wait a week to actually see goats due to fog, rain, and clouds.

Tobey

Lil-Rokslider
I'm new here, but, If you expand your query to include free range exotic goats, the archery hunt for persian ibex in the Florida mountains of southern NM is widely considered to be a world class hassle. Way up there in terms of most fun i've had being unsuccessful and almost dying every other day.