What’s the hardest to kill?

What’s the hardest trophy to kill, diy, public land?

• 200” typical mule deer?

Votes: 24 13.2%
  • 200” typical white tail?

Votes: 117 64.3%
  • 400” typical bull elk?

Votes: 41 22.5%

• Total voters
It appears that the B&C records show that the rarest is the 200" whitetail. It is probably even the most difficult to kill on public land per the OP's criteria.

However, if I saw a 200" whitetail, 200" mule deer and a 400" elk standing on hillside and I had to choose. I'd shoot the muley every time.

I would add whitetail public land, in a mountainous/ appalachian-esque setting or big woods, such as New Hampshire or Maine..... I think they are quite difficult here in northern PA however that pales in comparison to those New England mountain bucks

bohntr

WKR
Nets are for fishing.
Net is the REAL score.....let’s compare apples to apples, here.

As an official measurer, whitetail by far. I’ve measured MANY 400” net bulls in the last two years alone from AZ. I’ve also measured a few 200” mule deer over the years from a few different states.

I rarely see many 200” net typical whitetails......even at panels every couple of years. Just my experience.

Net is the REAL score.....let’s compare apples to apples, here.

As an official measurer, whitetail by far. I’ve measured MANY 400” net bulls in the last two years alone from AZ. I’ve also measured a few 200” mule deer over the years from a few different states.

I rarely see many 200” net typical whitetails......even at panels every couple of years. Just my experience.

No. Net is a comparative score. Left vs right. Gross is a REAL score. A measurement of all available antler. Apples to apples is how much antler is there. Now how symmetrical they are.

No. Net is a comparative score. Left vs right. Gross is a REAL score. A measurement of all available antler. Apples to apples is how much antler is there. Now how symmetrical they are.
Agreed, whatever the animal grew is what should be added up.
Deductions are meaningless, imo.

As far as the original question, WT... without a doubt.

bohntr

WKR
Then no inside spread, correct? Only antler measurements. Maybe YOUR scoring system will catch on and people will refer to it? :unsure:

alecvg

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure the question is all that fair- I don’t think a 200” wt is comparable to a 200” mule deer or a 400” bull. A 170-180 might be more fair. Going off of your question though, I would say the whitey, just because I think there are that few that make it to that size.

IMO it is a whitetail...I live in and around big whitetails and have never seen one that legitimately sniffed the 200" mark. I have been blessed with seven in the 150-180" mark but one touching 200" is a different animal.

That being said if I could only ever shoot one more big animal in my life it would be a mulie. I have made the journey west each of the past 14 years and those things are still ghosts to me.

Beendare

WKR
There’s 200” whitetails on public land?
Well, According to the Biologist for a certain WMA I hunted this year.....there was a "Legit 200" whitetail buck" running around in that WMA he had seen earlier in the year. He would know.....

We saw tracks of a giant- but never saw him.........My buddy missed a 160's at 15 yds on that same WMA because he forgot to move his slider sight...so there are some decent bucks on public ground.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Folks who insist on Gross, IMO, are generally those who are ego driven and want to claim a higher number. Plain and simple

Neither method is more correct than the other. "Scores" are just a way to compare animals to each other. As long as you're comparing two animals by the same standards, I don't understand why people care one way or the other.

Oh, and back to the OP's question. I say whitetail for sure.

After seeing the Legend @robby denning's basement, I'm pretty sure 200" mule deer live behind every tree in Idaho!

slick

WKR
Folks who insist on Gross, IMO, are generally those who are ego driven and want to claim a higher number. Plain and simple

I would disagree.

A bull buck billy grew those inches. Just because they aren’t on another side doesn’t mean they should be subtracted.

Anywho, I think a 200” whitetail. But, also think it’s not a straight comparison

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk