What’s the “Ideal” First Deer?

Hschweers

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll be chasing white tails for the first time this fall. It’s got me thinking... In your opinion, what’s the ideal first deer? A giant buck that will get you hooked for life? A small, modest buck that leaves room for improvement? A doe? Or simply any deer that gives you a shot?
What do you guys think?

OP
H

Hschweers

Lil-Rokslider
Let me clarify - I plan to shoot any legal deer. Have some buck only hunts planned, as well as some either sex to improve the odds. I’m just wondering in a perfect world, what would you consider the perfect first deer. In my head it’s a good bodied 4 point, or a fair sized 6 point. Something that makes for decent pictures, but still leaves plenty of room to improve.

Tourguide

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll be chasing white tails for the first time this fall. It’s got me thinking... In your opinion, what’s the ideal first deer? A giant buck that will get you hooked for life? A small, modest buck that leaves room for improvement? A doe? Or simply any deer that gives you a shot?
What do you guys think?
The one that presents a good one shot kill, have fun and hunt hard, don't be too picky out of the gate.

Legal + brown = put it down.

Seriously. Get that first one. Focus on quality later. I am an adult onset hunter of sorts and started not that long ago with Bowhunting whitetails. I took the first legal deer I could - a mid bodied forky. Started my journey of tracking, recovery, gutting, dragging, etc. right there. A few years later, I tend to divide things into stuff I would put on the wall and stuff that fills the freezer, and only now I am getting picky about what I shoot that is in between those categories. These days I am looking for more mature bucks and beta does in a group of three or more (I don’t like leaving solo does or taking the alpha of a doe group). I know at least one old timer that won’t short a deer unless it is “bull winkle”. Maybe I will get there someday. Someday, maybe...

Bambistew

WKR
Thats a tough one... its all personal. Shoot what makes you happy, but consider if you're shooting one just to shoot it or not. Killing one that takes good pictures is a pretty stupid reason to shoot one, IMO. Deer hunting generally isn't that difficult, and passing up a young buck doesn't mean you won't have a chance to kill one later. Enjoy the experience and take the one that feels right, big or small.

Good luck!

OP
H

Hschweers

Lil-Rokslider
Thats a tough one... its all personal. Shoot what makes you happy, but consider if you're shooting one just to shoot it or not. Killing one that takes good pictures is a pretty stupid reason to shoot one, IMO. Deer hunting generally isn't that difficult, and passing up a young buck doesn't mean you won't have a chance to kill one later. Enjoy the experience and take the one that feels right, big or small.

Good luck!
I now realize that came off wrong. Pictures are the last reason I’m doing this. I’m thinking more about the photo memories in 10+ years, not the social media bragging rights the next day.

Kularrow

Lil-Rokslider
I’m in the same boat and my goal is to kill any doe early bow season, any legal buck during pre rut and rut. Last couple days of archery I’ll take either if comes down to the wire.

If I had to say "ideal" it would be a small buck. Shoot a good one as your first and your in for years of let down. I've personally had a few amazing years that took a personal reset to get back to reality and the enjoyment of the hunt.

TSAMP

WKR
It's been mentioned but an ideal shot trumps whatever the deer is. You'll be desperate and likely shoot through a dime size opening in a bush. Ask me how I know. My first archery deer was badly injured and had a broken back foot. I bumped it walking in to my stand at first light and it stood up looking miserable. It stood up and just dabbed its foot into the dirt repeatedly. I shot it at 6 yards. Let's hope yours is better than that was.

Attachments

• IMG_0036.JPG
    IMG_0036.JPG
    486.4 KB · Views: 48

mtnlomo

FNG
First couple deer were does, still shook like a leaf after shooting them. I would say whatever gets you excited, but my stomach says first legal animal!

What kind of hunt are you doing? Archery or smoke pole, first adult animal you have a good shot at. Rinse and repeat for experience. High pressure public vs normal public vs private? For rifle I think there is nothing wrong with holding out for a buck like you mentioned, if that is realistic for your area.