What’s the “Ideal” First Deer?

Southernhunters

Lil-Rokslider
The first one that you can make a good clean kill on comfortably!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anything legal is a good goal. In my case, my first season bowhunting I let a few decent bucks pass (nothing huge - a couple 2.5 year old 6 points) and it sort of ruined the end of the season for me, since the feeling of regret on passing those up made me sort of desperate.

Now that I've had years with success, I tend to feel good about waiting on the bigger animals since I don't have the "will it ever happen" vibes going on.

Going for a doe (depending on where you are) is also a good idea, since it will get you the meat and the post-kill experience which seems to help most people mentally once they have a buck in front of them.

CCooper

WKR
First legal one that will stand still at a good range. " A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush" I believe the saying goes. Venison tastes a lot better than a tag.

Foggy Mountain

Lil-Rokslider
Brother I’ve been at this over 40 years yet I remember something a hunter ed instructor told me back than. It’s something, I, pas and instructor now myself say. The first legal few deer should be taken. We need to build experience. Get choosy once you’re familiar.
If you want to know the truth, I’ve heard of no one (sure it happens) has taken a giant buck, turkey, elk, whatever and stayed 100% on board. It seemed sort of unspecial to them. Any legal deer though, if it’s a big one take him.

burns152

FNG
I’ll be chasing white tails for the first time this fall. It’s got me thinking... In your opinion, what’s the ideal first deer? A giant buck that will get you hooked for life? A small, modest buck that leaves room for improvement? A doe? Or simply any deer that gives you a shot?
What do you guys think?
Any deer that gives you a shot you are comfortable taking.

jedi

FNG
have to get good at killing before you get picky. the overall experience will trump size etc.
now, if you do have a shot at a booner, better take it! anything for that matter. its about going through the process and experiencing all you can with it. good luck

Pasayten

FNG
Taking an animal's life is personal. Do a little soul searching on why you are going to hunt and you will find your answers. Whatever your answer is now will likely change through the years. Embrace the evolution in your mind and enjoy all the meat along the way. Don't let the internet, society, or other hunters you encounter dictate how you should feel about your harvest because every animal we harvest, no matter the size, deserves respect. The perfect first deer is the one that you take.
Beautifully put, and so true. I really respect this reply. Thank you Laramie!