What’s the “Ideal” First Deer?

Blacktailaddiction

Lil-Rokslider
Whatever gets you excited! I’d say first legal deer if you have limited time or not a lot of opportunity. For example this year I had yet to shoot a buck after 5 years of little effort, then this year I had every morning I wanted available during the month long season and passed on 5 bucks before shooting a nice 3 pt blacktail on day 6 of hunting. But I put so much effort into scouting and finding good spots that I knew what I could do. Do what feels right and you can’t go wrong. Most important enjoy the whole experience!

OP
H

Hschweers

Lil-Rokslider
What kind of hunt are you doing? Archery or smoke pole, first adult animal you have a good shot at. Rinse and repeat for experience. High pressure public vs normal public vs private? For rifle I think there is nothing wrong with holding out for a buck like you mentioned, if that is realistic for your area.
It’s all rifle, all public, all out of state. Odds are not in my favor lol. Have 5 hunts planned across VA, GA, and AL. I live in SW FL, so scouting isn’t really an option. Takes 8 hours just to get out of the state from where I’m at. I certainly won’t hold out for a certain deer. I’m at the any legal mindset. I was just curious if everyone had a choice, what it would be.

Blacktailaddiction

Lil-Rokslider
It’s all rifle, all public, all out of state. Odds are not in my favor lol. Have 5 hunts planned across VA, GA, and AL. I live in SW FL, so scouting isn’t really an option. Takes 8 hours just to get out of the state from where I’m at. I certainly won’t hold out for a certain deer. I’m at the any legal mindset. I was just curious if everyone had a choice, what it would be.

I’d take the first legal opportunity then!

Matt mi

Lil-Rokslider
I say which ever one looks the tastiest. I usually wait til end of season to shoot smaller bucks and don't generally shoot does til December because I want them around for the rut just because I'd like the chance to get any one of the bigger ones running around but end of last season small 9 walked in and all I could think of was I didn't make any breakfast sausage yet this year I think even if he was a spike he still would have been sausage.

My first was a big seven. Just lucky that day hunting in big timber. I would have shot the first deer that ran by me. I would have been happy with a deer of any kind. A lot might depend on the place you are hunting. Some places where you might only see one deer of any kind in days of hunting shooting a deer is a big deal. Other places where there are deer running all over the place no one gets excited unless its a big mature buck. I hunt in two different states and both are vastly different in what is considered to shoot. I enjoyed every deer I shot after that first one. It was about the hunting. Create your own goals for each hunt and work to accomplish them. Sometimes my goal is meat or culling does others its a nice buck.

I have hunted whitetail since I was 10 years old, so close to ahem 30 years. I still have never shot a huge buck. At most 120 and only a couple times. I am not a brown it’s down guy, but we eat 1.5 deer per year and I am happy to take a deer and half my dads every year. If a big one came by I would shoot it, but I make sure I get one for the freezer too.

My theory is: whatever puts a smile on your face. Otherwise it’s easier and cheaper to go to Sam’s Club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pasayten

FNG
Hard to beat a young animal of whatever species you'll be hunting as far as meat goes. Thats what i'd be trying to get me and the family hooked on for a first critter. Best of luck!

Rich M

WKR
Don’t overthink it. If yer gonna smile in the picture, be happy.

folks get too attached to trophies and antlers. Most areas have an average size deer, if you gotta compare, compare from there.

NateK

Lil-Rokslider
Depends on where you are at as a hunter. if you have been hunting for years and are just branching out into a new species maybe your goal is a couple of does and a three year old buck. Depends on what your goal is and what your particular hunting spot is capable of. I know when I head out west with a mule deer tag I'm not looking for forked horns even though I haven't killed one before.
That being said, when my kids get old enough to start hunting (maybe next year) it will be whatever gives us the first good shot!

Laramie

WKR
Taking an animal's life is personal. Do a little soul searching on why you are going to hunt and you will find your answers. Whatever your answer is now will likely change through the years. Embrace the evolution in your mind and enjoy all the meat along the way. Don't let the internet, society, or other hunters you encounter dictate how you should feel about your harvest because every animal we harvest, no matter the size, deserves respect. The perfect first deer is the one that you take.

Dcrafton

WKR
I really believe you will be excited with what ever your first deer ends up being. You should really focus on proper field care (dressing) so you end up with a great tasting deer. Also learn proper field care for a mount. If you choose to mount and don’t care for it properly and skin it properly so your taxidermist can do his part you will be disappointed. Yes enjoy your hunt, be safe and try to get a good shot, loosing a deer sucks and it being your first deer will be heart breaking.
Best of luck

Roofer1

Lil-Rokslider
I'm with all the folks that are talking about shooting the first deer that you can kill cleanly and gets your ticker going. there's only been a few over the years, but nothing haunts me more than thinking about the animals I've wounded and not found.

Themic86

Lil-Rokslider
I would shoot anything that offers you a good shot. I usually enjoy watching them and not to worried about size and mainly meat.

My daughters first. She was looking at a few does and smaller bucks. I asked her which one excited her. The buck walked out a few minutes later and that was her deer. Super excited w buck fever. She put him down! Whatever you see that gets your heart racing and gets you shaking! You’ll know!9A4EE17F-2C28-4EA6-A418-719818A10453.jpeg

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitebeard