What’s the more versatile setup?

coohio1854

Lil-Rokslider
Option A is what I wear now and really like it. Seems like it covers a real broad range of temps. Rarely need the 240 in early September, but it’s nice to have just in case. I bought an Apex hoodie this turkey season and liked it too. I just don’t know if it would be as effective, or versatile as the 97 and 240.

- Option A)

Merino short sleeve
Peloton 97
Peloton 240
Uncompahgre jacket
North face rain jacket

- Option B)

Merino short sleeve
Apex hoodie
Uncompahgre jacket
North face rain jacket

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

- Option C)

Merino short sleeve
Peloton 97
Uncompahgre jacket
North face rain jacket

Just as a lighter weight option. I feel like you can go down pretty darn cold wearing all 4 of those pieces together.

As I say that I'm lugging a Strong fleece 260 with me along with the Peleton 97 because I like options.

Last edited:
OP
C

coohio1854

Lil-Rokslider
- Option C)

Merino short sleeve
Peloton 97
Uncompahgre jacket
North face rain jacket

Just as a lighter weight option. I feel like you can go down pretty darn cold wearing all 4 of those pieces together.

As I say that I'm lugging a Strong fleece 260 with me along with the Peleton 97 because I like options.

I know right. I sold my soft shell because that setup gets me down pretty low. The Apex would be perfect if it was lighter weight. I run too hot to have it on all day in September

I like to run a peloton 118 short sleeve with the 97/240 combo. Pretty tough to beat that setup plus a puffy and rain jacket.
ive bought and sold lots of KUIU, Sitka and first lite. The combo above is the best I’ve come up with.
if you don’t run into much wind might consider a double 97 in two sizes instead of the 240 since you run hot

OP
C

coohio1854

Lil-Rokslider
I like to run a peloton 118 short sleeve with the 97/240 combo. Pretty tough to beat that setup plus a puffy and rain jacket.
ive bought and sold lots of KUIU, Sitka and first lite. The combo above is the best I’ve come up with.
if you don’t run into much wind might consider a double 97 in two sizes instead of the 240 since you run hot

I have been thinking about going to synthetic. At 4 ounces I could probably get away with packing 2

OP
C

coohio1854

Lil-Rokslider
Kuiu don’t regret

Yeah I’m really a believer. Last year we were in deadfall city. 2 of us in attack pants and the other 2 in first lite obsidians and guide kites. After day 2 the dude in obsidians had holes everywhere

OP
C

coohio1854

Lil-Rokslider

I’ve also been mulling the 145 hoodie with a vest, puffy, and rain jacket. The only thing I’d worry about there is not knowing how long it’d take the 145 to dry after a good sweat. I had the FL wick and that stuff gets so heavy and takes too long to dry.

I’ve also been mulling the 145 hoodie with a vest, puffy, and rain jacket. The only thing I’d worry about there is not knowing how long it’d take the 145 to dry after a good sweat. I had the FL wick and that stuff gets so heavy and takes too long to dry.

I have the FL wick 150 short sleeve as well. It’s typically wet at least on my back and frequently makes me cold when the wind pushes the cold wet shirt against me through other layers. That is what made me switch to the 118 and now I’m typically dry and more comfortable, I have not had any smell issues with the 118 over 2 or 3 days but I also shave my armpits because I found the hair was a bigger source of smell than the shirt.
In my opinion the 145 won’t perform that much different than the wick. I did pick up a used 145 short sleeve to try out this year, not enough use yet but it is significantly stiffer and less comfortable than the wick.

Smallie

Lil-Rokslider
If active I have a really similar setup and use a wick SS, the 97 over that and then depending on wind/terrain use the 240 or a softshell over that if brush busting. Puffy in the pack in case and rain shell for over all of that if needed. If in the backcountry the 240 does not come with as the rain shell just acts as my windproof layer and thinking about not bringing the softshell either. This system covers a large temperature range for me and I tend to run pretty warm. If sitting in a tree stand my system is much different except I always have a merino base layer and 97 over that. I really like grid fleece as a mid layer but if they get wet they don't dry nearly as quickly as synthetics

Aluminum Rain

Lil-Rokslider
The 145 dries pretty well. I use it as my base ( no hood) with a peloton 200, plus puffy and rain coat. I rarely put the 200 on. Synthetics just stink too much.

Bump79

WKR
Yeah I’m really a believer. Last year we were in deadfall city. 2 of us in attack pants and the other 2 in first lite obsidians and guide kites. After day 2 the dude in obsidians had holes everywhere

Yeah but merino pants are fragile so that's not really an apples to apples comparison. The FL Corrugate pants are incredibly durable.