What's the next big step in archery design?

vcb

WKR
I know it's the million dollar question...but..what do you say? I am seeing more and more carbon fiber bows but the performance hasn't really jumped... What type of engineering breakthrough or materials are we gonna need to get a bow to shoot 360's, 370's 380's fps but still have a shootable platform.

I know it's the million dollar question...but..what do you say? I am seeing more and more carbon fiber bows but the performance hasn't really jumped... What type of engineering breakthrough or materials are we gonna need to get a bow to shoot 360's, 370's 380's fps but still have a shootable platform.

http://www.huntersfriend.com/bow-review-400-fps-bow/400-fps-compound-bow.htm

This is a pretty good read about why we are pretty much at the upper limits of bow speed.

All a carbon risor does is help cut down on weight.
As far as achieving more speed I don't think there is anything out there. The price of getting more speed is the bow gets harsher to draw. Maybe someone will come up with a 4" brace height but I don't know if it will be shootable.

Tilzbow

WKR
I keep thinking they'll be an advancement in limb technology and someone will figure out how to make carbon limbs and/or a foam core combination that could be done economically and hold up to compound stresses. It's being done on recurves, longbows and fishing rods and there have been performance gains. Some super light weight yet still strong string material that hasn't been discovered might be another thing. Manufacturing advancements are moving forward at a high rate so it may happen. I can't imagine how hard it would be to shoot FBBH at 400 FPS so there would have to be other technology to reduce shooter induced errors. All that said compound performance really hasn't changed much over the past several years so maybe we're truly close to the peak.

For me personally I'm changing my set up and increasing arrow weight to keep speed under 300 FPS to make my setup more forgiving for me with FBBH...

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
I dont know Im super happy with my Carbon Knight. I heard Rumor that Bowtech maybe up for sale soon. Not sure if its true or not. Saw this on AT. I am really thinking that a Carbon Asassasin is coming. But hard to say.

Rucker61

WKR
I dont know Im super happy with my Carbon Knight. I heard Rumor that Bowtech maybe up for sale soon. Not sure if its true or not. Saw this on AT. I am really thinking that a Carbon Asassasin is coming. But hard to say.

Isn't the Carbon Knight the "carbon Assassin"? The rumors I've seen look more like a carbon Insanity. I, too, am waiting on the news since I'm getting a new bow in the near future.

What's wrong with the Carbon Knight? You were pretty happy with it.

High FPS is overrated IMHO. My Carbon Element shooting 777gr arrows is not particularly fast but the penetration is amazing and the bow is virtually silent. I'd rather have a quiet bow than a fast bow. Less string jumping, better chance for a follow up if necessary and for long backpacking trips, a carbon bow is just my preference.
HOYT1.jpg

ckleeves

WKR
High FPS is overrated IMHO. My Carbon Element shooting 777gr arrows is not particularly fast but the penetration is amazing and the bow is virtually silent. I'd rather have a quiet bow than a fast bow. Less string jumping, better chance for a follow up if necessary and for long backpacking trips, a carbon bow is just my preference.
HOYT1.jpg

Are you using that arrow for all your hunts or just the really big stuff?

Shrek

WKR
How does a longer draw length and higher draw weight affect the performance ? I measure out at a 32" draw and back when I shot archery I was pulling 87lbs . I had an Oregon bow and the let off wasn't that high. I'm wondering what is achievable with that type of draw and weight.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
How does a longer draw length and higher draw weight affect the performance ? I measure out at a 32" draw and back when I shot archery I was pulling 87lbs . I had an Oregon bow and the let off wasn't that high. I'm wondering what is achievable with that type of draw and weight.

Usually get more speed. But very few people would shoot that much weight now days. Bows are more energy efficient now

Shrek

WKR
Thanks , I'm not really planning on buying a bow this year but it's good to know. I'm just trying to save enough to get back out west this year for another month of punishment.

chobbs

Lil-Rokslider
Dartons have secretly been hitting 360 for some years now, it I just not advertised. Refinements, materials and engineering to improve handling are what I see. Better materials, titanium fasteners, stainless, who knows. We will find out tomorrow!

boom

WKR
i read an article years ago (i think it was in OutdoorLife) about how bows performance has neared the plateau. looking back, i'd guess we gained about 50fps in 10 years? dunno.

but the article had them just spitballing over the top ideas..for fun. some of the ideas seem feasible. like a true shoot thru riser design. where the arrow comes off th bow straight and there were no cables pulling to the sides. and magnetic arrow rest..where the arrow just floated on a magnetic field (like a bullet train) and had zero contact/friction with the bow except at the nock point..i wish i kept that article..would be fun to look back and see the current FPS, and see if any of the hair-brained ideas came to fruition.