Whats the Oldest Goat you have seen/harvested/heard of?

Eddy1994

FNG
Ran into a pretty old goat on our spring bear hunt. Got a # off his ear tag and talked to local bio about the billy. HIs GPS collar died 7 years prior and sense then he has dropped off the radar.... Curious to see some ages of goats you guys have run into.

-ill post pics and reveal age after a bit.

Not a goat but we had a collared desert bighorn ewe in the San Andres NWR that was 16 and still dropping lambs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Decker9

WKR
That’s a old goat there cardbender!!

My last billy, the inspector called 12.5, I only get 11.5, but he’d be one of the other.

Attachments

• 520F8B90-6103-458C-A5F8-9C9186083E90.jpeg
    520F8B90-6103-458C-A5F8-9C9186083E90.jpeg
    295.7 KB · Views: 149
  • 8462E782-AEEC-418E-85D9-6D7A2D00BAC8.jpeg
    8462E782-AEEC-418E-85D9-6D7A2D00BAC8.jpeg
    227.8 KB · Views: 150
Very nice decker!! When we checked in son's billie, the game warden and a biologist said it was the oldest billie the 2 of them had ever checked in.

I'll play. This is the oldest one I've shot/been part of. Nanny South Side of Kodiak. We can even play the aging game and I'll post up the age in the next post.

IMG_1075.JPG102569

DRUSS

WKR
Great thread guys! I have a chance this year to go on my first goat trip(friend drew). Looking at these pics will help. Do you have any thoughts to offer a first timer? We have good glass. Maybe just general rule of thumb type guidelines?

OP
E

Eddy1994

FNG
Classic, the one thread i post and never check back in on gets some steam. Ill dig up some photos and post .

OP
E

Eddy1994

FNG
Well this is long overdue... and a long story but ill bold the good parts if you just want the details.

but this is the story of OLD FIFTY.........I often day dream about this old goat. We found him on a spring bear hunt we do in Oregon. Like most goats he stuck out pretty bad at 1000 yds, a white blob against the rocky rims of the river canyon. I love goats... most get a bad rep cause they aren't the brightest critters in the world. I convinced my buddy we should go get a closer look cause somthing just looked weird about him. We got to about 400 yds above him and put my little spotter on him and what do you know... a flipping GPS collar and a ear tag. The numbers were super faded and a spent a good hour trying to get the number off, the rain and fog and bad sun made it hard. Finally after looking at him a long time, full zoom on my camera... the number 50 stuck out. Was a pretty cool feeling, i knew he was old, just the way he acted and the fact that the number was virtually gone. This was day 2 of out 8 day trip... i was excited to get back to service and see if i could get some information from the local bio.
Fast forward a week and i finally heard back from a local biologist... i could tell that something was weird about the goat. The biogist wanted me to clarify that the number read 50... i sent him good pictures to confirm. He was very surprised.

Turned out this old billy was collared when he was 1.5 years . His collar ran out of batteries and they hadn't seen or got a ping of this goat in 7 YEARS. Turns out this goat was 12.5 years old when i first ran into him. He was part of an initial transplant in eastern oregon in hopes to establish a hunt able population. Theres goats around, but numbers never grew enough to hunt them.

Fast foward to the next year bear hunting.. we all joked about looking for old 50 on this trip and never thought we see him again... We get back into the same valley we first spotted him the year prior... and what do you know a white blob not 200 yds from where he was last year. We put the spotters to him and orange ear tag and a gps collar. OLD 50 Lives! another year older at 13.5... He looked no worse for wear. We spent a few moments staring at each... i filmed and he chewed his cud... after a short while he stood and walked out of sight.

Im excited to get back in there and see if he made it another year... if don't see him this spring going to spend some time looking for his remains.

IMG_4949.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5553.jpeg
    IMG_5553.jpeg
    324.3 KB · Views: 103
OP
E

Eddy1994

FNG

Im not sure this link will work.... but there is some really good video i got the first time we saw him.

as.ks.ak

WKR
Well this is long overdue... and a long story but ill bold the good parts if you just want the details.

but this is the story of OLD FIFTY.........I often day dream about this old goat. We found him on a spring bear hunt we do in Oregon. Like most goats he stuck out pretty bad at 1000 yds, a white blob against the rocky rims of the river canyon. I love goats... most get a bad rep cause they aren't the brightest critters in the world. I convinced my buddy we should go get a closer look cause somthing just looked weird about him. We got to about 400 yds above him and put my little spotter on him and what do you know... a flipping GPS collar and a ear tag. The numbers were super faded and a spent a good hour trying to get the number off, the rain and fog and bad sun made it hard. Finally after looking at him a long time, full zoom on my camera... the number 50 stuck out. Was a pretty cool feeling, i knew he was old, just the way he acted and the fact that the number was virtually gone. This was day 2 of out 8 day trip... i was excited to get back to service and see if i could get some information from the local bio.
Fast forward a week and i finally heard back from a local biologist... i could tell that something was weird about the goat. The biogist wanted me to clarify that the number read 50... i sent him good pictures to confirm. He was very surprised.

Turned out this old billy was collared when he was 1.5 years . His collar ran out of batteries and they hadn't seen or got a ping of this goat in 7 YEARS. Turns out this goat was 12.5 years old when i first ran into him. He was part of an initial transplant in eastern oregon in hopes to establish a hunt able population. Theres goats around, but numbers never grew enough to hunt them.

Fast foward to the next year bear hunting.. we all joked about looking for old 50 on this trip and never thought we see him again... We get back into the same valley we first spotted him the year prior... and what do you know a white blob not 200 yds from where he was last year. We put the spotters to him and orange ear tag and a gps collar. OLD 50 Lives! another year older at 13.5... He looked no worse for wear. We spent a few moments staring at each... i filmed and he chewed his cud... after a short while he stood and walked out of sight.

Im excited to get back in there and see if he made it another year... if don't see him this spring going to spend some time looking for his remains.

View attachment 241796

I’m certainly no expert. But I’d say your “him” is actually a her.

Still super cool nonetheless!! There’s a nanny in my neck of the woods that I first watched 12/24/2015. She had a kid that year so she was at least at child bearing age then. I was able to positively ID her again this past fall. She’s got a broken right horn and is a real aggressive old b1tch. Fun to have history with old animals! Cool to watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
E

Eddy1994

FNG
I’m certainly no expert. But I’d say your “him” is actually a her.

Still super cool nonetheless!! There’s a nanny in my neck of the woods that I first watched 12/24/2015. She had a kid that year so she was at least at child bearing age then. I was able to positively ID her again this past fall. She’s got a broken right horn and is a real aggressive old b1tch. Fun to have history with old animals! Cool to watch.

I would have said the same exact thing..... except the biologist confirmed that he was indeed a billy. When he was originally captured and collared they got a up close look at him ;)

as.ks.ak

WKR
I would have said the same exact thing..... except the biologist confirmed that he was indeed a billy. When he was originally captured and collared they got a up close look at him ;)

Wow, if so that’s the thinnest horned billy I’ve ever seen. The smaller nanny face, spindly horns, lack of mass, and absence of glands on the frontal shot all scream nanny...a billy of that age would have a big roman nose (horse face) and it would make his horns look smaller than they are. But no sense in arguing over it. I just have a really hard time believing that’s indeed a billy.

Last edited: