What's The Oldest Rifle You Hunt With?

zacattack

WKR
Oldest I’ve hunted with but has since been retired was a Winchester Model 1911SL. Turkey hunted with it but man is it not safe to use. These were winchesters first semiauto shotgun, but because you loaded the first shell with the barrel it was discontinued for being unsafe in 1925. The barrel is hard as hell to pump and it’s easiest to set the stock on the ground and push the barrel down, unfortunately this caused many shells to fire on accident and would shoot them in the face. Apparently Winchester rejected Browning’s design which would become the A5 for this crap.

I’ve got a Winchester model 70, serial number starts with 202xxx, puts in 1952 and Winchester model 74, somewhere in the ‘40’s if I remember correctly.

MeatBuck

WKR
I just acquired a Savage Model 99 from my old man that was my grandfather's. 402XXX serial number, believe it was made in 41. I'm going to get some dies for it and try to find a vintage 4x scope, make it my new whitetail gun.
Also have a Winchester 94, if have to look the numbers up again but I think it's from the 50s.
The nostalgia of an old handed down rifle is special, maybe I'll kill a deer with it wearing the handed down woolrich hunting suit to bring it full circle.
Thought about taking my 53 Buick special on a local hunt but I think it’d get too much and the wrong kind of attention for what I have in mind. But there’s just something about cruising home on the highway through the local towns with a buck strapped on the front fender of a classic car that just seems right to me.
Would be even cooler to do it with one of the old guns from my grandparents. Not really sure what most of them are because I haven’t seen them since I was a kid. Think ones a .308 Norma mag. A couple 30-06s... maybe one day I’ll give it a shot.
Cool thread.
Came across this the other day, probably late to the party but maybe some others have t seen this yet.

1928 Winchester 32 Special. It was my grandfather's....trying to kill a deer with it...I just have not gotten close enough to see it in those old sights.

I also have my great uncle's 1907 Winchester in 32-40.....have all I need for reloads just need some time.

OP
lyle_destroys
1928 Winchester 32 Special. It was my grandfather's....trying to kill a deer with it...I just have not gotten close enough to see it in those old sights.

I also have my great uncle's 1907 Winchester in 32-40.....have all I need for reloads just need some time.
I think I missed 5 or 6 that first year. My old man I know was losing hope. Finally I center punched a doe at 40 yards with it on the last day of season. We put in some serious time for that deer. It started something in me and I've never looked back.

Carpet Capital Shyster

Lil-Rokslider
I just acquired a Savage Model 99 from my old man that was my grandfather's. 402XXX serial number, believe it was made in 41. I'm going to get some dies for it and try to find a vintage 4x scope, make it my new whitetail gun.
Also have a Winchester 94, if have to look the numbers up again but I think it's from the 50s.
The nostalgia of an old handed down rifle is special, maybe I'll kill a deer with it wearing the handed down woolrich hunting suit to bring it full circle.
My grandfather brought back a German Mauser as a war trophy from WW2. His brother passed it on to me and encouraged me to hunt some with it, just as he did. I did hunt several days in the stand with it but once I talked to a collector and showed him the rifle (made in the 20’s, as I recall) he begged me to quit taking it to the field. The gun is very clean and shoots great. Kicks like a mule, compared to my 308, though.

KClark

WKR
The oldest I've killed something with is my mothers 1894 25-35, it was made in the late teens IIRC. I've killed a few deer and coyotes with a Model 1894 30-30 my grandmother gave me when I was 11. She was gifted it in the '30s and it was made in 1926. I hunted with it until I was 17.

I'm getting the urge to take out my great-great grandfathers Hawken rifle, but it needs some work first.

ETA

Nykki

Lil-Rokslider
I've got a Husqvarna 30.06 that my dad bought used in Germany in 1951. He killed a lot of elk and deer with it and a few moose once we moved to AK. I've had it for 19 years now since he passed away, it's a sweet shooting rifle.

hodgeman

WKR
I've got several old family heirloom guns... most from the 40s. I've taken my Marlin 30-30 from that era out on occasion but haven't shot anything with it in decades. I need to rectify that.

I also have a Winchester M37 and M12 that I love taking out for grouse on glorious fall days when the weather is nice. There is something gratifying about folding up a ruffed with a gun made when Amelia Earhart was flying .

Hnttillmt

FNG
Mauser 1893 7x57. Dad bought it brand new out of the crate in about 1960 for 20$. Sometime around 90 when I was 12 I helped him semi sporterize it. Original stock but cut down quite a bit and refinished. Had the bolt turned to accommodate a scope. Still wears the original 29” barrel with front blade. I’ve killed a bunch of deer with it including my biggest muley. This past summer I mounted a new ZEISS on it and worked up a load of 145 speer boat tails. I don’t hunt with it often anymore but it’s still got some filled tags to go in life.

grfox92

WKR
Not a Rifle but the shotgun I have used for the last 15 years is a Baker Batavia Special 12ga side by side. It was made between 1909 and 1916, so it's no less than 104 years old.

You would never believe the gun was that old looking at it and also knowing that my grandfather used it for many more years than I have already.

The gun is rock solid tight, no wiggle anywhere in the action, breaks down and locks together like brand new.

Also I hit just about everything I point that gun at which is why I never upgrade. Pretty cool gun.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I don’t have much with a lot of age on it. I have dads savage 330 in 12 gauge he bought new in the 70s. I just traded for a nice 1975 marlin 30-30 that I need to do a little work on.

rayporter

WKR
i did not mention one rifle that i got to use when i was a teenager. it was a .32 cal percussion muzzle loader that was an original. no one knew when it was made but it had been in the neighbors family for a long time. pre 1880. it was a short 22 inches as it had had the chamber cut off when worn out. they cut it off to get to new rifling.

i killed several squirrels and rabbits with it one summer. i used a single 0 buck and thick patching if i remember right. for a load i put a ball in my palm and covered it with black powder. that amounted to about 30 gr. i made a measure to hold 30 gr, it had no ramrod and i had to make one.

i was a shame i had to return it.

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
Great history on a lot of these rifles. My oldest is my grandfather's Winchester model 94 .32 win sp made in 1955. I haven't hunted with it but I intend to take it deer hunting. I also have a Marlin in 444 from the mid 60's. A Beretta AL2 20 ga semi from the early 70's as well as a couple Russian Baikals from that era.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk