What’s the one tip you wish you were given

STL

FNG
Prepare and scout more than you hunt. Trust your gut and try not to overthink things. Don’t get let hiccups ruin your hunt and always be prepared, because your luck can change at a moments notice.

Bring an extra fully ready weapon and leave it in the car as a backup. Accidents happens. I scratched my bow string against a branch hoisting it up the tree and had to drive 2 hrs home. Wasted 8 hrs in the car that day.

As a new hunter, what’s the one tip you wish you were given chasing white tails? Or what’s the one tip you were given that’s proven itself over and over.
Well, two (that are related) really -

1) the first sit in a new stand will almost always be the most productive, and
2) use "scouting stands" the first time in a new area. Scouting stands are stands that are backed off, downwind of a spot that you expect to see activity. They will let you pinpoint which tree or where to place your blind exactly when you make your final set in that spot.

Followed by - if the wind is wrong for a stand location, don't hunt it.

I wish someone told me how far a whitetail will run when you spook them! I was too used to having mule deer bound up a hill about 300 yards and then turn around and check me out. I stumbled into too many deer to count and never got off a shot.

WKR
Early season bucks are great tasting. My advice is to learn how to cut and process your own venison. Ton of youtube videos on properly breaking down a hindquarter and it can be done in any home or apartment. Learn to do it, and learn to cook and utilize it.

Rational

FNG
Similar to previous mentions. Getting familiar with your weapon in more than just bench rest shooting is key.

Something I came to learn is that you only get so much time for certain things.

You can hunt from the stand or truck at home into your 80s but hitting the mountain wilderness out of state has a smaller window

Rokbar

WKR
You do not have to be at THAT stand at daylight! Pay attention and if something don't happen, make it happen.

Biggie

FNG
Well, two (that are related) really -

1) the first sit in a new stand will almost always be the most productive, and
2) use "scouting stands" the first time in a new area. Scouting stands are stands that are backed off, downwind of a spot that you expect to see activity. They will let you pinpoint which tree or where to place your blind exactly when you make your final set in that spot.

Followed by - if the wind is wrong for a stand location, don't hunt it.
I'll second this. My last 10+ bucks have been on the first or second sit in an area. Usually after at least a week rest if it's on the second sit.

1. SLOW DOWN...Everything.
2. The wind matters from the moment you exit your truck, plan accordingly.
3. If you go in blind and the setup isn’t right when the sun comes up, MOVE. You might get lucky once in a while....but more often you’re wasting your time. Same thing when the wind changes.
4. Give your best spots a rest once in a while.
5. Be dedicated. A lot of deer can be killed at 11:30am when everyone else it getting their energy drinks and cheeseburgers.

I know this is 5 but I couldn’t help it. lol

Last edited:

TheGDog

WKR
LOOK UP!!! STOP LOOKING AT YOUR FEET ON THE HIKE-IN!!!

When it's go time... get in there BEFORE sunrise...STAY until AFTER legal shooting light. Find a comfortable spot, in the shade, with junk behind ya to breakup your outline, where the wind is carrying your scent NOT along their trail. Then sit down.... shut up... and don't freaking move. Don't cough, don't clear your throat, don't sniff. Try not to drink anything much until like after 10a so you can remain on your sit for those primo morning hrs. Wait until their eyes go behind a tree or bush before you raise that weapon or draw that bow. Use your eyes to look!
If you feel you need to turn your head to look elsewhere? Turn that head REAL slowly. Like 7secs to turn it 90 degrees.

And silently... think to yourself... say "You're MINE mother-******!" from the moment he comes into view.

Hunt where the deer are, not where YOU think or want them to be. Don't get caught up in one honey hole or spot that was productive in the past. Deer move. Often.

This
Prepare and scout more than you hunt. Trust your gut and try not to overthink things. Don’t get let hiccups ruin your hunt and always be prepared, because your luck can change at a moments notice.

Don't blow out spots on bad wind. Agree with comment above about scent control gimicks. Hunt wind directions away from expected bedding or approach direction and therefore have stand setups for various wind directions. Only hunt stands that have the appropriate wind. Also don't over hunt the same setup next to an area where you think the buck you want is or a buck might be. Wait for only great conditions. You always leave scent and he'll eventually catch on.