What's the smallest mule deer buck you would shoot?

[email protected]

Lil-Rokslider
Colorado says anything over a 5 inch spike is legal, some units I’d shoot a legal spike some units I’ll shoot a 4 or bigger, some others a 4 with brows or bigger.

Mule deer buck is pretty low on my list of table fare. I hunt horns. mtmuley
You got a point. Out of all in the western big game category they arent at the top of my list when it comes to being tastefull. Especially when they get to about 4-5yo.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

WKR
I like plains whitetails better but high country bucks have been tasty too. I'd be trying for a 170" or better.

drtonkin

FNG
Headed back to SD on an OTC archery hunt. Came up empty handed last year, looking for the first legal mulie in range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gumbo

WKR
I hunt MT public land so I set the bar at about 165 or a buck that I like. I've never shot a good one with a bow so this year I'm aiming for 165 with stick and string.

I guess I want to clarify why that score is what my baseline is. For me, I want an interesting set of antlers to add to my collection. I feel that 165 or so is where it all starts to come together in terms of a cool rack, it simply takes some inches for a deer to have at least one of the features I like, i.e. big forks, mass, NT points, bladed tines, gnarl. And it is a size range that is reasonable, but not common, where I hunt (there is no reason to set the bar so high it is essentially unachievable). The inches typically reflect age, which is what it takes for a deer to get unique characteristics, which makes me interested in adding it to my collection. I will make exceptions though, if I saw a giant 2x2, or a gnarly, heavy 150 3x3 I'd definitely shoot. I don't go by inches in hopes they will be added to my pecker, I cite them because that is where racks usually start to get interesting to me.

If it’s right I’ll shoot a 3.5 year old. I was hunting with a buddy I hadn’t seen in 3 years this year, and the way it went the buck I shot is 140 type. Crabby 4 point that’s nice and tall as wide as his ears.its The way we found him, how and where he was hiding etc made him the one I wanted to remember the Hunt by.

I really really want a mature (4.5 or older) forkie. 160-170, like mentioned above is where they can start looking pretty intriguing

Be honest with ya, a cool stalk will do it for me.. there's just something about getting tha shakes that brings out the Wolf instinct to where's I can't not shoot.

Pure brain dead. Like this year i saw a honest 180 day before opener.. told myself I was as gonna chase it till the end of the season. Then his cousin jumped out of the sage 15 yards in front of me 4 hours into the opener and I just had to shoot. Ended up being a decent buck, but shoulda held out. There's next year yeah?

Not sure I'd ever shoot a forky, but if it started mean mugging me or my mind starting wandering back to the 'ol lady and her cooking I'd give him a dirt nap and point the truck home

4xlarsen

FNG
I kinda see it as a case by case. Wa is a 3 pt min anyways, so for me most of the time, its first legal animal. Id like to get a big old mulie, but like its been said, you cant eat antlers.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Depends on when in the hunt and how its going. My #1 goal at the end of the day is fill the freezer, I hunt for food, all we eat at home for red meat is game that I've harvested. But I try to stack in some meat oriented hunts in the tag list so I have some flexibility when hunting antlered tags.

First 10min of a rifle hunt last year I let a big 3x and 2x walk right by at 150yd, I would have shot either the last day for the meat but I don't regret letting them walk at all because at that point it wasn't what I wanted for the hunt and knew there were some bigger deer around. I did find a nice mature deer but missed unfortunately. A bit later in the hunt I was 20yd from a smaller forkie with his head down and could have killed him with ease but let him go as that still wasn't what I wanted for my hunt, had a couple days left. Again though end of last day I'd have shot that deer. I left the hunt content that I got to find an pursue a nice deer, I blew it, that's on me. I knew I had other hunts coming up and was content. Once I got home the wife pointed out we only had a couple pounds of meat left which I didn't realize so I felt a little bad things didn't pan out and felt the pressure a bit more on the next hunt (which I did fill my tag on which gave some breathing room).

mcseal2

WKR
I look for a mature animal. I've passed some really nice bucks that looked young to me. I like the idea of them getting older and getting to breed and spread those genetics. Out of state unless it's a special tag I'm not worried about much more than mature. That goal is hard enough for me to accomplish without adding any other limitations.

I would rather go home without filling a tag than shoot a young one personally. If I don't fill a tag but I gave it my all I get more of a feeling of accomplishment than if I settle on one at this point. I'd just rather keep searching for the big boy and get more hunting time in.

I didn't always feel that way, and I sure didn't before I had one under my belt. I shot a 3x3 on my first muley hunt that's sure no giant, but he was an older deer. I was ready to shoot a couple smaller ones that hunt but my buddy talked me into waiting for something better. Glad he did now, we got more days of hunting in and I learned more from him that way.

I have never had a mule deer tag before. There's no number in my head or concrete idea of exactly what I'm willing to shoot, but if I draw the ND archery tag this year I will try for an older deer, but probably shoot any legal deer unlucky enough to walk by in bow range.