What’s the top of the line for synthetic sleeping bags???

tdot

WKR
I had an apex bag made by Nunatak last year for extended trips where my bag had potential to get wet or I may want to get into the bag with damp/wet clothes. My typical bag is a WM Alpinlite. My goal was to get similar warmth/fit to the alpinlite but in Apex and be as light as possible. I ended up with what Jan called the Apex Alpinist - you wont find it on their site. It is basically cut like the alpinist center zip down bags but with Apex insulation.

7.5 oz Apex center zip with dual draft tubes on zipper. Dimensions to mimic WM Alpinlite (roomy but not boxy/wasteful). 10D nylon ripstop shell, 10d taffeta lining. Total weight is a hair over 35 oz IIRC. I have found it to be just as warm as my Alpinlite if not warmer. I had a sleeping pad get a hole one night in the mid 20's and woke up uncomfortable but surprisingly warm. Apex doesn't compress as much as down so it provides more insulation from the to bottom than down.

Nunatak and Kifaru are quite a bit different in design theory. Nunatak is a company that is obsessive about the fine details and frills that add weight. Kifaru adds quite a bit of weight/bulk comparatively to achieve durability. I believe the Slick Bag uses a 30d shell which adds a significant weight and bulk that I find unnecessary. I do not use my sleeping bag in conditions where tears and abrasion are a big concern. If tears/cuts do happen the bag has continuous fiber insulation that it isn't going to lose so who cares, some tenacious tape can patch it up. Apex is more resilient than primaloft but still not great, the insulation will be degraded significantly by the time the shell is toast. The cut is also more of a typical mummy cut than Kifaru's so weight is saved there.

I chose the 10d liner because it was the lightest and most breathable. It is not the most effective at repelling moisture. The 7d robic would have given great moisture protection with similar weight but doesn't breathe as well and I wanted to "bake" moisture off of wet clothes. You could get a pertex quantum shell as a good compromise for a little more weight.

Jan recommended 7.5 apex for a 20 degree bag, it seems right on based on experience and ratings from other sources. Kifaru uses 2 layers of 3.6 apex for comparison in their 20 degree slick bag. So comparatively you get slightly more insulation from 7.5, more efficient (warmer) bag cut, but the shell I chose wont be as warm as the kifaru 30d.

My primary gripe with the bag is the centerzip that only goes down a little below my waist. On warmer nights it is difficult to vent the footbox and everything below the knees gets hot. I'm not sure if Nunatak would do a side zip but i'd get a longer zipper if doing over.

Overall, I'm not aware of a commercially available synthetic option that can compete with Nunatak if you are weight conscious. Edit: hadn't seen that Marmot elite model. Specs look good, be interested to know what the actual EN comfort limit is though. They would still be heavier than a similarly configured nunatak but there is something to be said for price, availability, and a side zipper.

Awesome, thanks for all that information. Funny enough, the Alpinlite is in the running for my next bag, but I keep thinking I should find something similar in Apex, and with a bigger footbox.

You may have just nailed my next sleeping kit perfectly. Thanks!

tdot

WKR
There's a few guys on here with their gear. I haven't been able to get my order in in time before they close down orders so I haven't looked at lead times lately. I've seen their stuff in person and checked it out, it's top shelf gear. I think @wind gypsy may have a bag from them? He'll chime in now that I tagged him at least lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Are you saying they regularly close for orders throughout the year, not just at Christmas?

Thanks for the help!!

sneaky

"DADDY"
Are you saying they regularly close for orders throughout the year, not just at Christmas?

Thanks for the help!!
Depends on how slammed they get. Now would be the time because come springtime they are doing stuff for all the thru hikers.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

slinginbc

FNG
View attachment 144437
Here is the Marmot Ultra Elite 20 next to a Nalgene bottle for comparison. Not quite as small as down but for synthetic and weighing 2 lbs 5 oz in the compression sack Marmot provides it is pretty solid.

What kind of temps have you used the bag in? I’m considering it for myself. Also how does it fit? Looks like it could be a little snug. I’m 6’3” 190lbs.

zloomis

Lil-Rokslider
Mountain Hardware synthetic bags are excellent. Nunatak would be as good as it gets in my opinion if you don't mind spending the coin

Gaines Evatt

Lil-Rokslider
The lowest I've had it in was around mid to upper 30's and I was very comfortable with just a light baselayer. I got it for $160 on sale last year around this time. I'm only 5' 6" and have plenty of room, but don't know how that would compare at 6' 3".