Whats the Worst Shot You Ever Took?

22lr

WKR
I'm a little bored, so I wonder...

What is the worst shot you have ever taken on an animal, and why was it a bad shot?

For me, pretty easy. My worst shot and my luckiest shot was the same.

First time I ever went deer hunting by myself, I was maybe 16 (if I recall correctly). I walk out to the back 40 on my grandmothers land around 1130L, and climbed a tree that had grown in the middle of an old corn silo (in the field where my family has farmed since the 1800s). I had climbed the tree countless times growing up, so it was second nature to scurry up and just sit on a pair of branches that forked off, with a nice branch conveniently placed right below to conveniently rest my feet. Ive had treestands that were less comfortable than that ole tree. The tree was on a small hill overlooking a corn field that had a very nice pie shaped drainage going out about 90 yards (give or take a few yards). Soon as I climb that tree I pull out my binoculars and look around. Bam, already looking at me was a doe. I've never been more than a "if its brown it's down and in the freezer" kind of hunter so I grabbed my Mossberg 500 slugster as fast as I could and sent a 12ga sabot downrange maybe 20min after I left the house. If only all hunting was that easy...

Now the longest shot I ever practiced was maybe 50 yards, and I never practiced much with that 12ga/Sabot combination as the recoil was a bit much for a scrawny kid such as myself, and $2 a pop was insanely expensive for me. But I distinctly remember thinking, this deer is pretty far away, I should probably hold over. So I held over what I thought was a decent amount and touched the trigger. When I get the scope back down to look I can't see anything, my initial reaction was that it was a clean miss. I recalled the shot and clearly recalled seeing corn stalks, so I figured I pulled it high. I scamper out of the tree hoping to find either good blood to start railing or no blood, and to my surprise I found my deer dead as a doornail, crumpled up right where I shot her, with a 12ga sabot size chunk missing from her spine. I stepped it off at 150 yards from tree to deer. Dressed out she was a solid 180lbs! (I love corn fed whitetails!)

I see this as my worst shot since I didn't call it (I was trying for a lung shot and completely missed that). I clearly had not practiced enough. I was completely guessing the range, on land I had basically grown up on, so I should have paced it off earlier in the spring or summer. I had no clue what the actual ballistics of my round was at that range or how much to hold over to have. It was completely dumb luck that I hit the dang thing, yet alone actually had a clean kill. Biggest lesson I learned was that luck is awesome when you are looking for a deer, but luck doesn't belong anywhere in the play book when it's time to take the shot. I was a fool for having taken that shot, and I knew it.

I learned my lesson and started practicing with my shotgun more and have never had a deer run more than 50 yards on me. But I've never actually crumpled one up in its tracks like that before either... so...

jolemons

WKR
I shot a mountain lion in the head, offhanded, 75 yards with a 17hmr. No recovery. Stupid shot. I could have brained it if I waited for it to get closer and got into a better shooting position. I was rushed and anxious at the once in a lifetime opportunity and blew it. The 17 was the only rifle in the truck, thus being under gunned. I've killed plenty of cattle with a 22 lr, so I know i could have killed it with the 17, but I needed her closer and to make a precise shot..

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
22lr

22lr

WKR
I shot a mountain lion in the head, offhanded, 75 yards with a 17hmr. No recovery. Stupid shot. I could have brained it if I waited for it to get closer and got into a better shooting position. I was rushed and anxious at the once in a lifetime opportunity and blew it. The 17 was the only rifle in the truck, thus being under gunned. I've killed plenty of cattle with a 22 lr, so I know i could have killed it with the 17, but I needed her closer and to make a precise shot..

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Ouch, ya that stings a bit. I love my rimfires, but ya, they are not good long range weapons, LOL.

007hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Back when I was about 17 I took a shot at a buck at a dead run 100+ yards out. I hit it but never did recover it. Lesson learned the hard way. No more running shots for me, I’ll just pass. I suppose I’ve matured at this point and it’s more about the experience of the hunt rather than the kill. I may have a couple others but that’s the one etched in my brain.

16Bore

WKR
Never took one. Not sure I’ve read enough bullshit on the internet to convince myself either....

I came up on a gut pile a buddy of mine had shot the day before hoping a bear might be on it. I found a seagull standing on it and when I got close it started at me defending the gut pile. I was already pissed that the area was blown out with hunters so I decided to shoot it from the hip with my 30-06 at about 10 yards. I missed a couple times and decided to actually aim and then he was done. I look back on that as the dumbest shot I’ve ever taken.

Beendare

WKR
Late 80's when I first started bowhunting I made a great stalk on a mule deer buck that was probably 190's.....and absolute pig of a buck. He was bedded in the wide open sage a mile away....and of course when I got there I wasn't exactly sure where he was- it all looks the same.

I was hanging close to where I thought he was....... He must have had his head down as I couldn't see an antler tip ....when all of a sudden he gets up..... 25 yards from me.

I just remember kneeling down so he didn't see me and drawing my bow while thinking...."What a giant" and I must have been staring at his rack as that's exactly where I shot him- dead center in his velvet main beam....and he ran off with my arrow bouncing in his antlers.

______

OP
22lr

22lr

WKR
Late 80's when I first started bowhunting I made a great stalk on a mule deer buck that was probably 190's.....and absolute pig of a buck. He was bedded in the wide open sage a mile away....and of course when I got there I wasn't exactly sure where he was- it all looks the same.

I was hanging close to where I thought he was....... He must have had his head down as I couldn't see an antler tip ....when all of a sudden he gets up..... 25 yards from me.

I just remember kneeling down so he didn't see me and drawing my bow while thinking...."What a giant" and I must have been staring at his rack as that's exactly where I shot him- dead center in his velvet main beam....and he ran off with my arrow bouncing in his antlers.
______

On the plus side, sombody somewhere has a giant mule dear rack and a great bar story about the time he shot a muley that someone else shot in the antler...

Marble

WKR
After passing 5 bulls opening day, including 1 at 25 (rifle), I missed two bulls in less than 10 seconds.

Opening day, saturday, I passed on 5 bulls. Snuck in on a herd at the top of basin and found 5 satellites cruising around. The herd bull was 500 yards in the timber screaming his head off. So I waited and never saw him. Greedy!!!

Fast forward to the next Thursday and I'm walking out after packing a 340 bull I got my buddy on. I fall right on my gun, no time to go to the range.... So the next day I'm shooting my backup gun. Not worried at all because I've killed a lot of elk with it. I sneak about a mile through the timber and me and my partner take a break on an aspen covered knoll. To our right is a decent drop into some thick timber, below us is 200 yards of aspen, opening up into a clearing 600x600 wide. While taking a break, we hear footsteps from an animal. We hear it coming closer and closer. Finally its right on us and a black squirl pops into view. We silently laughed and smiled. He says, in a super strong southern drawl, "damn squirls..."

We get up and move 50 yards and peak over the knoll into the timber. We stare for a few minutes and we hear something big move. I look at him, he looks at me, he says, "that ain't no squirl. "

I see movement and can tell it's an elk and pull up. I put it in my scope and see it's a decent bull at less than 100 yards. I put it in the sweet spot and boom. 10 seconds later a second bull (thought it was the same one) walks to the same spot. Boom! Anyways...whiffed on both. Seems my confidence in a 150 grain, 7mm bullet to not to be screwed up by some pine branches was a bit much. Both were clean misses.

Bulls ran down the hill and another guy killed one.

notradame

Lil-Rokslider
I spend hours and hours of practice time behind my rifles at the bench and in field positions developing muscle memory before the season ever starts. I highly recommend it. It doesn’t always have to be with your hunting rifle either. Sending lead down range for effect with a 223 or a 22 lr helps to stay sharp and is very affordable. Going to the range once or twice or never before season and then expecting great results afield is asking a lot.

colersu22

WKR
My worst shot and the one that haunts me happened 2 years ago when I was elk hunting in Wa. I was following some elk that spooked through a burn and heard some rocks slide up above me. When I turned to see what caused it there was 4 bucks in to of the hill at 80 yards. I had a deer tag as well so I switched gears and headed up the hill as the spooked off. At the top of was a big flat and I just happened to drop of the flat and the bucks where 30 yards or so away. I’m still surprised I was able to draw with the buck staring at me but first shot was right under him and he ran about 5 feet as my arrow went under his chest so I nocked another arrow and shot again. Second shot went right into a 3” branch in front of the buck and then the buck took off never to be seen again. I was so focused on the deer that I wasn’t paying attention to the branch hanging between me and him. It was a 4x4 and still the biggest buck I have ever personally seen in the woods so I think I just got to excited and focused on him.

Jim1187

Lil-Rokslider
I shot a doe on the run a little far back. Should have recovered her but the tropical storm that was supposed to begin around midnight arrived early (5 minutes after the shot) any blood quickly washed away and I searched until well after dark in downpour and high winds. Backed out after a widowmaker came crashing down within feet of me. Back after her the next morning found what coyotes had left behind.

16Bore

WKR
This thread is starting to make me wonder if BC, dialing scopes, ultra light rigs, 30-06 vs 270, and camo monkey suits really amount to jack shit.

Whole lotta stupid going on.

Squamch

WKR
I shot a big ol revert blacktail one October. All the old boys I knew said I had to go back, there would be a new king up there.
So opening day the next year I was up there...and by god, there was a slightly younger carbon copy...sat down, lined up nicely, squeezed er off....and instead of the BOOM I had come to know and love from the old 30-06, it was more of a firm pop....but the deer fell over!
My hunting partner came up to give me a hand, and I climbed up the bank toward where it had dropped. Rifle slung on my shoulder...I saw fur, shifted position, and saw it's eye..."Hey Mikey, come and give me a hand with..." the damn thing jumped up, not showing any sign of 30 caliber holes, or harm otherwise, and took off at a dead run. Went over the bank and almost landed on my hunting partner, and disappeared into the bush. We spent hours following the tracks until we lost them. Never found a single drop of blood, or hair.

I have no idea what happened to that deer, and the spot has since been ruined by people driving quads straight through it "hunting."

I also took a shitty rest and slipped, and shot a deer in the ass once. Got lucky and it died, but I sure felt, and in fact still feel, like shit about that.

Last edited:

Marble

WKR
I shot a big ol revert blacktail one October. All the old boys I knew said I had to go back, there would be a new king up there.
So opening day the next year I was up there...and by god, there was a slightly younger carbon copy...sat down, lined up nicely, squeezed er off....and instead of the BOOM I had come to know and love from the old 30-06, it was more of a firm pop....but the deer fell over!
My hunting partner came up to give me a hand, and I climbed up the bank toward where it had dropped. Rifle slung on my shoulder...I saw fur, shifted position, and saw it's eye..."Hey Mikey, come and give me a hand with..." the damn thing jumped up, not showing any sign of 30 caliber holes, or harm otherwise, and took off at a dead run. Went over the bank and almost landed on my hunting partner, and disappeared into the bush. We spent hours following the tracks until we lost them. Never found a single drop of blood, or hair.

I have no idea what happened to that deer, and the spot has since been ruined by people driving quads straight through it "hunting."

I also took a shitty rest and slipped, and shot a deer in the ass once. Got lucky and it died, but I sure felt, and in fact still feel, like shit about that.
My buddy had something similar happen wh6e he shot a bull in the horn.

ewade07

WKR
Two years ago deer hunting. I hadnt filled my tag and we had packed up out camp and were on the way home when a little 3x3 mulie slowly trotted across the road and stopped. I debated on even shooting him but i jumped out, got off the road and took an off hand shot at no more than 50 yds. I hit him in the spine. He was still alive when i got up to him. I've been hunting for almost 20 years and what did i do...I panicked. It pains me to even say this, but in my state of panick i opted to slit the deers throat. How i felt after doing that, first spine shooting him then opting to bleed him out, i never want to feel that way again. I sat there and cried. Cried while i field dressed him. In my eyes, I had shown that animal absolutely no respect at all. I didnt say a word to anyone for well over an hour after that. Its an experience that will stick with me forever and one i told myself that i will never again repeat.

Laramie

WKR
Worst shot I ever took I hit perfectly... It was a small bull across a canyon. I didn't think through how I was going to get him out of the hole he was in before pulling the trigger. I learned my lesson and thankfully had a few friends willing to come help. Alone it would have taken me 2-3 days.

OP
22lr

22lr

WKR
Worst shot I ever took I hit perfectly... It was a small bull across a canyon. I didn't think through how I was going to get him out of the hole he was in before pulling the trigger. I learned my lesson and thankfully had a few friends willing to come help. Alone it would have taken me 2-3 days.

Can be a painful lesson, like shooting a moose or elk that was in the river... Sometimes you have to think about the pain your going to endure getting it out of there.