What’s up with all the cerokote

OP
S

Stalker69

WKR
Yea I know it’s the sign of the times, but I like to hunt with a good looking “ work of art” if you will. I normally use a shilo sharps 45-110, AAA grade wood, with a MVA sight. I have several wood stocked, blued rifles that still look excellent after 30-40 years. I also have some with composite stocks, blued and stainless, that still look great after 10-15 years. I have friends that have Cerakoted ( or other form of) rifles and even new they do not look good,( I ask if they were made by Nurff) and most after a couple years show wear signs, edges, corners, and any where that rubs ( scabbard) truck seat, front edge of barrel. I get it, you can call them tools, I don’t look at them the same , I am hunting because it’s something I like to do, defiantly not work, so I don’t call them tools nor do I treat them like tools. So I like my “ tools” to look good. I treat my guns very very good, i am not going to starve to death if I don’t kill something, I don’t care if it gets away because my gun is not out of the case bouncing around the truck, UTV or horse. Look at the over under shotguns, people still take pride in making them, gorgeous wood, deep bluing, very tight fit between wood and steel, and steel on steel. I am an artist, and I like works of art, and rifles and shot guns I hold in high regard. I would rather hunt with a work of art and go home with out killing, rather then use a beat up tool that looks like hell. I don’t have a make sure I kill something at all cost attitude. Really don’t care if I kill or not. Some how I still normally get what I was after. And if not I still have meat in the freezer. And if “ nice looking “ guns are not around in 20 years ( it won’t be that long) I will still hunt with a “work of art,” I have enough to last the rest of my life. And it will save me a lot of money if I don’t have buy any more“ tools”. But I get it times, people, attitudes every thing is changing. But most of it not for the better.
If it came down to it and I had a choice to make, and there were only two companies left, cooper rifle ( as long as they were still building the guns they are now) that I could not afford or a cerakoted rifle, I would give up hunting. Until I could save enough to buy a cooper. I know it’s just me, but that is that matters , to me. Luckily we still have choices, good hunting.

Last edited:

CorbLand

WKR
Yea I know it’s the sign of the times, but I like to hunt with a good looking “ work of art” if you will. I normally use a shilo sharps 45-110, AAA grade wood, with a MVA sight. I have several wood stocked, blued rifles that still look excellent after 30-40 years. I also have some with composite stocks, blued and stainless, that still look great after 10-15 years. I have friends that have Cerakoted ( or other form of) rifles and even new they do not look good,( I ask if they were made by Nurff) and most after a couple years show wear signs, edges, corners, and any where that rubs ( scabbard) truck seat, front edge of barrel. I get it, you can call them tools, I don’t look at them the same , I am hunting because it’s something I like to do, defiantly not work, so I don’t call them tools nor do I treat them like tools. So I like my “ tools” to look good. I treat my guns very very good, i am not going to starve to death if I don’t kill something, I don’t care if it gets away because my gun is not out of the case bouncing around the truck, UTV or horse. Look at the over under shotguns, people still take pride in making them, gorgeous wood, deep bluing, very tight fit between wood and steel, and steel on steel. I am an artist, and I like works of art, and rifles and shot guns I hold in high regard. I would rather hunt with a work of art and go home with out killing, rather then use a beat up tool that looks like hell. I don’t have a make sure I kill something at all cost attitude. Really don’t care if I kill or not. Some how I still normally get what I was after. And if not I still have meat in the freezer. And if “ nice looking “ guns are not around in 20 years ( it won’t be that long) I will still hunt with a “work of art,” I have enough to last the rest of my life. And it will save me a lot of money if I don’t have buy any more“ tools”. But I get it times, people, attitudes every thing is changing. But most of it not for the better.

tdot

WKR
I consider all of my sports equipment to be tools. I have works of art that I surf on, sail, bike with and hunt with. But they're all tools. I treat them well, but they get used, abused and put away cleaned. I'm a user, not a collector.

I actually love well done Cerakote. It has a purpose and if it's done well, it looks great. Same with synthetic stocks, blued steel and any other finish out there. If it's done well, it can look awesome. If it's done poorly it looks like crap.

OP
S

Stalker69

WKR
So which rifles have cerakote done right ? Because I have seen a few now and there ain’t one that looks good. Like I said many new on the shelf at gun stores have little chips, rubs on them and they haven’t been “ used” yet. And none of the guys at camp here and in Texas have one that don’t have at least a chip, most chipped and rubbed. Obviously there must be great, and not very good. Which ones have the great ?

So which rifles have cerakote done right ? Because I have seen a few now and there ain’t one that looks good. Like I said many new on the shelf at gun stores have little chips, rubs on them and they haven’t been “ used” yet. And none of the guys at camp here and in Texas have one that don’t have at least a chip, most chipped and rubbed. Obviously there must be great, and not very good. Which ones have the great ?

FWIW, the bomb-proof paint job you're looking for does not exist. All my Cerakote-coated rifles have chips and rub marks because chips and rub marks on painted metal are inescapable if stuff is going places. Cerakote = workhorse rifle, not a show horse. If you don't like the Cerakote finish on the rifle you want to buy, just get it blasted and finish it however you wish.

Last edited:
Forgot to include this: The selling point for spray-on finishes like Cerakote is combining color/s and surface protection. Not the answer for winning the art contest.

If you're looking for toughness and uniformity, consider a chemical treatment or blasting. Blasting a stainless barreled action is hard to beat + there's Parkerizing and salt nitride, too. I have a Tenacity action and bolt that were treated with salt nitride. It's a slick/smooth/hard finish. Worth a look!

TexasCub

WKR
So maybe some one could help me. I am looking for a rifle in 6.5 prc that does not have cerakote. Was interested in the browning x bolt long range max, tikka varmint or super varmint ( which I would buy but they don’t offer 6.5 prc) Barrett field craft, savage, all seem to be coated except the tikka ( but not available). Any one know of some ? Can’t afford custom, although apr does have a decent price on custom rifles, I have left a message, but no reply. Wow how times have changed sense I bought my last rifle. The deep gorgeous blue jobs are a thing of the past, that is sad. Oh yea blued or stainless is fine.
Sauer 100 Classics and Mauser M18 both come in 6.5 PRC and have blued barrels. Supposedly both shoot well too.

OP
S

Stalker69

WKR
Yes I have been looking at the Sauer, going by some shops tomorrow to see if I can find one, thank you. I was looking at the browning x bolt long range max and was told on here it was not Cerakoted , but I found info on the net stating they are. Which I believe they are. I called browning tech support today and the guy insists they are not coated, going to try and have a look at them also.

Elkhntr08

WKR
The Weathermark that I picked up this year has a grey Cerakote, is it attractive, I think so. In a Spartan sort of way. I hope it holds up, hoping this will be my go to rifle.

IdahoElk

WKR
Clr13Zk.jpg

tdhanses

WKR
If it came down to it and I had a choice to make, and there were only two companies left, cooper rifle ( as long as they were still building the guns they are now) that I could not afford or a cerakoted rifle, I would give up hunting. Until I could save enough to buy a cooper. I know it’s just me, but that is that matters , to me. Luckily we still have choices, good hunting.

Ok, good for you, now try not to discount everything you don’t like as crap 😂. This is purely your biased opinion and your sticking to it and nothing wrong with that but I’m glad we have better tech today then we had 100 years ago.

tdot

WKR

I only have experience with Cerakote applied by gunsmiths. Not in a factory setting. Given the difficulty to clean, prep, spray and cqllowing for proper cure times in a production/factory setting. Your issue may not be with Cerakote, but instead Cerakote applied on a factory rifle.

My oldest rifle with Cerakote is 6 or 7 years old. It's well used, been on back pack hunts, in a truck, on a bike and it still has no dings or major wear marks.

But I do think Nitride finish is probably my favourite. I dont know much about it, but it looks great and it seems to be bomber.

Sled

WKR
But I do think Nitride finish is probably my favourite. I dont know much about it, but it looks great and it seems to be bomber.

i thought about nitride but went with cerakote on several rifles. this video, albeit biased, was part of my decision.

OP
S

Stalker69

WKR
Ok, good for you, now try not to discount everything you don’t like as crap 😂. This is purely your biased opinion and your sticking to it and nothing wrong with that but I’m glad we have better tech today then we had 100 years ago.

Is it better, or are we just a throw away society ? Use it until it don’t work, no longer looks good, no maintenance ( to much work), no repair just replace. That is how every thing is headed. No I want to hand this down from generation to generation is really even considered any more. I may seem to come off as biased , but I think maybe old fashion yea, I don’t care what others do or like and appreciated that we can still do the things we do. And I know I am in the minority, and times are changing, and I have a very hard time excepting change. Not trying to convince any one my way is the right way, as it’s obvious not the way things are headed must be the right way ( your right, never said you weren’t) ? I am just stating the way I like it, old school, I guess. Sorry if it ruffled any feathers. I don’t expect to change yours or any body else’s views or opinions, just stating mine. And I don’t like cerakote, and stating the reasons why.

tdhanses

WKR
Is it better, or are we just a throw away society ? Use it until it don’t work, no longer looks good, no maintenance ( to much work), no repair just replace. That is how every thing is headed. No I want to hand this down from generation to generation is really even considered any more. I may seem to come off as biased , but I think maybe old fashion yea, I don’t care what others do or like and appreciated that we can still do the things we do. And I know I am in the minority, and times are changing, and I have a very hard time excepting change. Not trying to convince any one my way is the right way, as it’s obvious not the way things are headed must be the right way ( your right, never said you weren’t) ? I am just stating the way I like it, old school, I guess. Sorry if it ruffled any feathers. I don’t expect to change yours or any body else’s views or opinions, just stating mine. And I don’t like cerakote, and stating the reasons why.

Yes it is better when properly applied.

OP
S

Stalker69

WKR
I only have experience with Cerakote applied by gunsmiths. Not in a factory setting. Given the difficulty to clean, prep, spray and cqllowing for proper cure times in a production/factory setting. Your issue may not be with Cerakote, but instead Cerakote applied on a factory rifle.

My oldest rifle with Cerakote is 6 or 7 years old. It's well used, been on back pack hunts, in a truck, on a bike and it still has no dings or major wear marks.

That’s just it there are sooooo many “ right ways to do it” and they are all different, yet they claim their way is the correct way. And the majority of it is inferior, weather in the prep work, application or material. But no body admits a lot of it ain’t right. If it lasts a year or two that’s good. I think they are on the right track but until it’s figured out which is the most durable, correct way to apply it, I don’t want it. Not trying to be biased, some day they will figure it out. And maybe some have but seems as no one knows who that is for sure.

EastMT

WKR
So I just went and looked at my Hells Canyon that has been beat all up here in AK, strapped on an external pack. The barrel sticks up on goat, sheep, caribou hunts and is dragged through the alders exposed, has sap buried in the flutes from ripping bark off the alders. It has also bounced around in the rifle carrier on my ATV for a few hundred miles going to moose/caribou camps.

The only spot of damage is on the aluminum trigger guard where it bounced and rubbed against the metal pack frame pin, and that would rub and coating off any aluminum trigger guard. The rest is pretty amazing shape considering a couple tumbles in shale while using it for a hiking stick holding onto the barrel. The Leupold scope that I also landed on is dinged pretty good too, but the coating on the barrel and action is really good.

I have yet to be begin to procrastinate.