What’s up with all the cerokote

CorbLand

WKR
Is it better, or are we just a throw away society ? Use it until it don’t work, no longer looks good, no maintenance ( to much work), no repair just replace. That is how every thing is headed. No I want to hand this down from generation to generation is really even considered any more. I may seem to come off as biased , but I think maybe old fashion yea, I don’t care what others do or like and appreciated that we can still do the things we do. And I know I am in the minority, and times are changing, and I have a very hard time excepting change. Not trying to convince any one my way is the right way, as it’s obvious not the way things are headed must be the right way ( your right, never said you weren’t) ? I am just stating the way I like it, old school, I guess. Sorry if it ruffled any feathers. I don’t expect to change yours or any body else’s views or opinions, just stating mine. And I don’t like cerakote, and stating the reasons why.
Depends on what your definition of throw it away is. You can have cerakote redone just like you can bluing. Just like bluing, cerakote can and will wear. The thing you have to remember about guns in a shop is that they are handled by 50 plus people a day for sometimes up to months while they sit on the shelf. Some of the guns see more use in the store than they will in the field. I have seen blued barrels look like crap too. My blued shotgun will rust if the humidity is above 1%. My coated barrels haven't rusted even with the wear spots.

The thing that "ruffled" feathers is that your knocking cerakote but admit that you like bluing and that your guns are a work of art. Most people on this forum use their guns and use them for their intended purpose. Take them hunting and kill animals anyway it takes. I buy stainless and synthetic guns because I don't want to worry about scratching them. So you knocking something that is built for function because you don't think it looks good. Apples and oranges.

The world has changed. People have expendable income and they like to use it. I had an old guy give me crap for buying the replaceable blade knives because "my generation just believes in throwing everything away." I asked him how long it took him to learn to properly sharpen his knives. He puffed his chest out and responded with "a lifetime." To which I responded "why would I spend a lifetime learning to sharpen a knife when I can buy 6 for the price of thirty minutes worth of work?"

tdot

WKR
i thought about nitride but went with cerakote on several rifles. this video, albeit biased, was part of my decision.

Well hopefully my Ti action which has a nitride coating on it holds up better then the mild steel one in that video.

Sled

WKR
Well hopefully my Ti action which has a nitride coating on it holds up better then the mild steel one in that video.

hopefully so. but the one with the nitride coating was stated to be stainless. the cerakoted one was mild steel.

i thought about nitride but went with cerakote on several rifles. this video, albeit biased, was part of my decision.
How many of you guys are hunting squids and sharks in the ocean? Or hunting on the shores of Salt Lake? My guns don't usually get to see salt water.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

tdot

WKR
hopefully so. but the one with the nitride coating was stated to be stainless. the cerakoted one was mild steel.
You're right, sorry I watched the video on my phone and in the small video it looked like it was attached to an action, which I assumed was mild steel.

I have installed 416 stainless equipment, 10 feet from the ocean that doesnt have that level of corrosion after 10 years. I knew salt chambers were nasty, but that's crazy.

tdot

WKR
How many of you guys are hunting squids and sharks in the ocean? Or hunting on the shores of Salt Lake? My guns don't usually get to see salt water.

I hunt along the shoreline of the Pacific. Though I have yet to shoot a squid.

Sled

WKR

i live in salt lake city, utah and hunt ducks in it since there are no squid or sharks here. i used to live in louisiana. when i lived there i painted most of my primary firearms (one shotgun, rifle and 22lr.) if you forgot to wipe them down they'd be rusted by the end of the next day. i'll take my chances with the salt lake.

EastMT

WKR

Well we hunted brown bears in Sitka once, by the end of the skiff ride, 3 rifles were sloshing around on the floor in the salt water because we thought we were going to sink and they were the least of our concerns. The only one that didn’t rust in that situation was an old Ruger boat paddle shiny stainless rifle. No coating necessary but bright, be nice to cover up that shiny metal

I have yet to be begin to procrastinate.

Goatie

Lil-Rokslider
I have a polished beautiful blued weatherby vanguard from the eighties. It was a handed down prize from my dad. Sucker has the really nice wood and still today prints nice groups. Don’t you dare have it outside in high humidity without an immediate oily wipe down.

Now, I have a few custom rifles that I Duracoat for poor weather and harder use. I’d say Duracoat is a few levels above spraypaint, but not quite as resilient as cerakote. I also don’t have to get a smith to re coat it after a few years worth of scratches. No way I’d do a quality bluing job for a fun weekend project.

I like that when I get the itch for a new stock or find a good deal on one in the classified’s, I can turn around and mix up a few ounces of a coordinating duracoat and have a totally new to me gun.

Some might say it’s our throw away culture but I don’t see my guns ever getting thrown away. I could go into the back of my dad’s gun safe and find a few of his classic blued guns. Some with heavy weathering. I could even pull out his dad’s old shotgun. Unfortunately it doesn’t function anymore. There’s too much rust on the hammers and pitting on the barrels.

I get bored with an older generation talking about the “good old days”. Times are good, and today’s gun options are great. If someone really wants a quality blued barrel and Turkish walnut stock, Rigby and WC Scotts are still to be found.

Goatie

Lil-Rokslider
Yea I know it’s the sign of the times, but I like to hunt with a good looking “ work of art” if you will. I normally use a shilo sharps 45-110, AAA grade wood, with a MVA sight. I have several wood stocked, blued rifles that still look excellent after 30-40 years. I also have some with composite stocks, blued and stainless, that still look great after 10-15 years. I have friends that have Cerakoted ( or other form of) rifles and even new they do not look good,( I ask if they were made by Nurff) and most after a couple years show wear signs, edges, corners, and any where that rubs ( scabbard) truck seat, front edge of barrel. I get it, you can call them tools, I don’t look at them the same , I am hunting because it’s something I like to do, defiantly not work, so I don’t call them tools nor do I treat them like tools. So I like my “ tools” to look good. I treat my guns very very good, i am not going to starve to death if I don’t kill something, I don’t care if it gets away because my gun is not out of the case bouncing around the truck, UTV or horse. Look at the over under shotguns, people still take pride in making them, gorgeous wood, deep bluing, very tight fit between wood and steel, and steel on steel. I am an artist, and I like works of art, and rifles and shot guns I hold in high regard. I would rather hunt with a work of art and go home with out killing, rather then use a beat up tool that looks like hell. I don’t have a make sure I kill something at all cost attitude. Really don’t care if I kill or not. Some how I still normally get what I was after. And if not I still have meat in the freezer. And if “ nice looking “ guns are not around in 20 years ( it won’t be that long) I will still hunt with a “work of art,” I have enough to last the rest of my life. And it will save me a lot of money if I don’t have buy any more“ tools”. But I get it times, people, attitudes every thing is changing. But most of it not for the better.
If it came down to it and I had a choice to make, and there were only two companies left, cooper rifle ( as long as they were still building the guns they are now) that I could not afford or a cerakoted rifle, I would give up hunting. Until I could save enough to buy a cooper. I know it’s just me, but that is that matters , to me. Luckily we still have choices, good hunting.

if you can’t find “art” in some new manners or mcmillan hand made stocks... then we’ve got different years of encyclopedias on the shelf my friend.

I believe it’s cheaper for the manufacture to cerakote then it is to polish a stainless or blue a barrel. It’s a scapegoat for poor workman ship if you ask me. It looks like a mc Donald’s hamburger compared to a grilled ribeye. I hate it. I have guns that are very very old and they have no rust. The blueing is rubbed in spots, but they still have no rust. And these guns have seen a lot of miles, hard use, and kills. There is no way carakote is more durable, and weather proof, it’s people being lazy.

No, Cerakote on rifle metal has nothing to do with poor workmanship or anyone being lazy. According to the larger mass of buyers, stainless steel + metal surface treatments + synthetic stocks + no pampering + corrosion resistance + weather tolerance + accuracy... are far better advantages versus fancy wood and shiny chrome moly. It's ridiculous to suggest your "very very old" wares compare in terms of durability and weather tolerance.

Cerakote or Krylon are not competing for your favor for the same reasons Carhartt should not feel compelled to compete with a wedding dress maker.

Are coveralls a scapegoat for poor workmanship?

Last edited:
OP
S

Stalker69

WKR
Yes we must have different encyclopedias, and I don’t mean wood and bluing are more durable then composite and coated metal. I am just saying it really is not that much work to keep them from rusting or weathering. I do not, have not, and most Likely never will hunt around salt water of any kind. And you guys have some what convinced me to buy what I want, if it is cerakoted then so be it. May stop and look at a couple shops today. Dude I don’t care if they are competing or not, I will spend my money where and on what I want. I did not intend this to become a pissing match or this is the way it is, or should be. I said I was getting off my box several posts back, iam out. Thanks I will enjoy, or sell if I don’t like it , what ever I decide. Never thought cerakote was so well liked, maybe I am missing something, will see.

Last edited:

Prairiekid

Lil-Rokslider
I have a friend with a Weatherby Backcountry with cerakote, that thing has dragged around the trapline by snowmobile and been on numerous Yukon back country trips for Moose, Sheep ect and it still looks great. Maybe there is something to factory application process being better?

I used to own a Anschutz biathlon rifle with a nitride steel barrel, you couldn't get that thing to rust from what I remember. In and out of every climate imaginable, travelled around the world and gets tossed on gun rack after gun rack, it looked as new as the day I got it and I never did anything to the outside but maybe wipe it down.

Yes we must have different encyclopedias, and I don’t mean wood and bluing are more durable then composite and coated metal. I am just saying it really is not that much work to keep them from rusting or weathering. I do not, have not, and most Likely never will hunt around salt water of any kind. And you guys have some what convinced me to buy what I want, if it is cerakoted then so be it. May stop and look at a couple shops today. Dude I don’t care if they are competing or not, I will spend my money where and on what I want. I did not intend this to become a pissing match or this is the way it is, or should be. I said I was getting off my box several posts back, iam out. Thanks I will enjoy, or sell if I don’t like it , what ever I decide. Never thought cerakote was so well liked, maybe I am missing something, will see.

Brands and their products are created by real people. From what I can tell, Cerakote has become very popular with gun builders and gun buyers because the people at Cerakote make and support a very good product. I'll remain hopeful that you'll run across something you like. :)

Goatie

Lil-Rokslider

I just saw these from James Purdey and Sons. There is definitely a place for the classics. 🤤
cerakote free
C134A453-1D6A-4A1B-9C5E-2BB4A81D48A9.jpeg6CD9C6EF-8218-4E28-846A-B3D2600867E2.jpeg