What’s varget good for?

GLB

WKR
I use it for 308, 223, 6.5 CM, and 7mm08. Very good versatile powder.

ChrisA

WKR
Well that crap works for me in 17 Remington, 204 ruger, 223, 6x47L, and 6.5x47L. I remember when Varget first came out and people were saying it works for a lot of applications but doesn't excel in any, well that was complete bullshit.

Chris

Varminterror

Lil-Rokslider
Varget is the king of 223 powders. I’ve also found it to be fantastic in 7-08, as well as 458 win mag.

freddyG

WKR
Varget is the most overrated powder out there. It shoots great, but the temp stability is not as great as people lead you to believe. For hunting you might be okay, depending on chambering, but it lags in serious shooting competition.

OP
N
Varget is the most overrated powder out there. It shoots great, but the temp stability is not as great as people lead you to believe. For hunting you might be okay, depending on chambering, but it lags in serious shooting competition.

Interesting, I don’t have a metric crap ton of experience with it but a friends 6br savage single shot would shoot in the 2 and 3’s when it was hot or cold. 6000ft in SW New Mexico is plenty variable. Only 105 Bergers and varget

Is it a velocity issue or a pressure issue?

freddyG

WKR
Interesting, I don’t have a metric crap ton of experience with it but a friends 6br savage single shot would shoot in the 2 and 3’s when it was hot or cold. 6000ft in SW New Mexico is plenty variable. Only 105 Bergers and varget

Is it a velocity issue or a pressure issue?
Its not pressure. For a long time I thought it was maybe in my head, or just my combinations, but there is a post on accurateshooter where a guy did some testing. Similar conclusion.
The best powder as far as temp sensitivity goes, in my experience is H4350. That stuff is magical.

Just to be clear, most nodes are wide enough that group size isn’t really affected due to temp sensitivity. The velocity is, thus a higher POI most of the time.