What's with the tight armpits?

anthonyjg

FNG
I'm hoping to pick up a quality mid-layer hoody or softshell jacket and every piece I've tried on is super tight in the armpits. I've tried multiple pieces each from Pnuma, KUIU, and Sitka, and they are all so tight in the armpits that I'm certain I'll either end up with major chafing or numb arms.

I'm 5'6" and 155lbs. The mediums all fit perfectly, with room to layer even, except the armpits.

Does anyone have any insights into why this is so? Am I just oddly proportioned? Or is this by design - the "shooter's cut" that I hear about from some purveyors? Or are other manufacturers' fits more, I don't know, normal?

Rock-o

WKR
Hmm, I thought it was simply an oddly cut Kuiu Guide DCS jacket of mine. I guess not and I don't have any thoughts as to why that would be.

OP
A

anthonyjg

FNG
Hmm, I thought it was simply an oddly cut Kuiu Guide DCS jacket of mine. I guess not and I don't have any thoughts as to why that would be.
Guide DCS is one I tried. Also, have tried KUIU's Strongfleece 280 (which was the best of the bunch), Sitka's Traverse hoody and Jetstream Jacket, and Pnuma's Waypoint jacket.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Shooter's cut actually has more room in the shoulders/ pits for range of motion. You try the old Jetstream jacket or the new version?

OP
A

anthonyjg

FNG
Shooter's cut actually has more room in the shoulders/ pits for range of motion. You try the old Jetstream jacket or the new version?
It's the new one. Been ordering all this in the last week.