What's wrong with a Savage?

douglasfir

Lil-Rokslider
Curious why Savages don't come up more often when people are discussing hunting rifles. Certainly in terms of price their 10/110 models are not budget guns by any stretch of the imagination. They are famous for shooting well, although accuracy isn't hard to come by these days. From my limited experience the accustocks are pretty good, especially compared to any other tupperware stocks on the market. The newer "accufit" stocks seem fine, too, even though the styling is a little too modern for my tastes.

I've heard the criticism about looks and the old reputation of Savage as a budget gun. Not interested in that.

But it seems like there is some criticism of Savage from a mechanical/engineering/function standpoint. That's what I'm interested in. I think forum guru Formidilosus has had harsh words for Savage in the past, among others. Seems like they have issues when run hard, like in a competition.

What are the problems with Savages in terms of function? Are these problems that can be prevented in some way? Are Savages easily fixable when they have these common issues?

Fatcamp

WKR
I have and shoot Savage rifles. The only real problem I have had with them is ejection issues. With a little work they got straightened out.

My wife hunts with a Savage .300 and a CDS Leupold. Thing kills everything she shoots at.

slvrslngr

WKR
Nothing really wrong with them. I think for the average hunter/shooter they're fine. Functional, accurate (generally) and affordable, they do what needs done. Personally, I find them ugly and they feel meh. The only model that holds my interest is the Ultralight.

Goatie

Lil-Rokslider
My problems with 110’s

1: replacing their triggers is annoying. No one to my knowledge makes a drop in housing with simple pins like a 700 or vanguard
2: their thumb slide safety can be difficult to utilize in cold weather or stressful scenarios. Also complicated to take apart and reassemble without practice
3: there is always slop associated with the floating bolt head.

things I like-
1: started the do-it-yourself barrel job/barrel nut crowd. Gave dummies like me a chance to learn a bit about re-barreling guns on my own, on the cheap, without having a lathe
2: bolt handle swaps are simple

I hear a lot about ejection and feeding issues but have no firsthand experience with those issues.

Last edited:

Goatie

Lil-Rokslider
I hear a lot about ejection and feeding issues but have no firsthand experience with them.
Another positive though... it’s about the most simple bolt to work on and fix without a smith.

sorry. I have a hard time talking bad about anything without peppering with the good too lol

There are extraction/ejection kits as well as bolt lift kits for about $20 a piece. I do not know if those are long term fixes that hold up to hard use but I have seen them make a difference.

I understand the impulse to just buy a rifle that doesn’t have these issues that need to be fixed in the first place. Savage starts to lose its appeal when the price becomes equal to, say, a Tikka T3.

I think Savage still offers some good qualities but I have not “run” a Savage as hard as others may have.

Fatcamp

WKR
Ya, the ejection fix was easy, but annoying while it lasted. That was in a .308, the .300 has been faultless.

KIMG3402~2.JPG

MThuntr

WKR
Not much wrong with them. I have 4 Savage rifles of different vintages. All shoot good however 1 has extraction/ejection issues even after replacing bolt parts...it is baffling but since it's a thin barreled 204 Ruger that only gets shot at gophers I'm ok with it since it slows me down.

If you want to get rid of the stock you're extremely limited and most are just meh.

I watched a guy get crazy frustrated with his new Savage. I think he dialed it way down and was setting it off with the side of his finger before he engaged the accutrigger safety.

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have been using Savages for quite a while now with a lot of regularity. It took me a couple of months to get used to the Accutrigger, but after a while it grew on me. Most of my best shots at deer have now been with Savages.

WCB

WKR
I have 6 currently...(all mine are max 6 years old) I have thousands of rounds through them and used them in some terrible conditions hunting. Not one feeding or ejection issue. I know 4 other people (family and friends) that use them for their main hunting rifle with zero issues. All of them shoot lights out using factory hunting ammunition. All under MOA most .5-.75 moa.

Some of them have accufit/accustock some don't. I even have one of their "cheap" Walking Varminters in .17 hornet. Most accurate gun I own with zero issues through 500 rounds in all conditions.

I have shot and handled tikkas...to me they are eh...I think it is just the cool thing to bash on Savage.

Agross

WKR
I have a couple savages and really like em . Never had any issues with accuracy and all I shoot is factory ammo. One of em is a .17 with a wood stock. It has became my favorite gun, and is an absolute tack driver.

Helped sight in a cheapo axis in 06 this fall, and its as accurate as any custom gun Ive seen. So I bought a .270 ultralite and it is also lights out, out of the box with factory ammo, 1/2 moa. They are kind of clunky actions, plasticky uninspiring stocks and arent pretty looking but the 3 savages Ive spent time with shoot better than most can take advantage of...for the money they kick ass.

In my limited experience the aesthetics are kinda junk, bolt is not smooth at all, but they shoot great.

I thought the same about the bolt on most that I’ve handled before. But this past weekend I got to handle one of the ultralights in person and I have to say it was every bit as smooth if not smoother than the Tikka and Bergara that were on the rack beside it

Jbehredt

WKR
Ejection. My wife has a lady hunter in 308. It ejects different brass with varying degrees of effectiveness. Chucks some and drops others back into the chamber. Fixes seems iffy. Throw some not easy to obtain parts at it and hope for improvement seems to be the consensus.

Jbehredt

WKR
Ya, the ejection fix was easy, but annoying while it lasted. That was in a .308, the .300 has been faultless.

View attachment 262137

What was your ejection fix? Best option I’ve found required a mail in order form from some gunsmith without a phone number or web site. I gave up after a few weeks of research....

ETA Rekindled my interest so I went back down the rabbit hole and found that tactical works has the kits in stock. Ordered one. Maybe I’ll be able to amend my ejection issues knock with an asterisk soon.

Last edited:

Fatcamp

WKR
What was your ejection fix? Best option I’ve found required a mail in order form from some gunsmith without a phone number or web site. I gave up after a few weeks of research....

ETA Rekindled my interest so I went back down the rabbit hole and found that tactical works has the kits in stock. Ordered one. Maybe I’ll be able to amend my ejection issues knock with an asterisk soon.

I called Savage and convinced them to mail me the bolt parts. Worked like a charm afterwards.

OSUsmokey

Lil-Rokslider
Love my Savage. I had been looking at all the stock options to upgrade it. Was so excited last yearthat Magpul announced a 110 hunter stock, but alas it has not come to fruition yet. No new updates that I can find either.... Damn COVID