what's your beef with turkey?

DWhitt

Lil-Rokslider
All you guys saying there's nothing to hunting them, come on over here to the Carolina's and try hunting the hard ones......Id love to see how many that bash it on here couldn't fill a tag!

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
Very little reward when you do shoot one. Store bought taste better and requires a lot less prep to make them taste better. They are ugly as hell and the mounts look even uglier. I mean, who wants to put a bird on the wall with a ballsack on his neck? Did I mention they are ugly? Offshore fishing is going and so is crappie during the spring hunts. Just so many reasons to not even be excited about them.

Azone

WKR
I’ve killed a few when I was younger but have really lost interest in them. Never called, but just ambushed them. The first turkey I killed did manage to beat the shit outta me for about a minute. I was 12 or 13 and shot a bird at about 30 yards with my 20 gauge and thought it was dead. I get up to it and grab it by the legs and that bastard went bat shit crazy. It was flapping, flopping and trying to peck a hole right through me. I tried swinging his head into a oak tree stump a few times to finish it off because I didn’t want to let go thinking it would get away, well I let go and found out a shotgun has devastating results at 10 feet.
Taste wise all of the wild birds I’ve eaten have always been good, never dog food worthy in my opinion.
I didn’t know we had so many passionate turkey lovers here on the slide, talk about some ruffled feathers. Sounds like you could kill one in Idaho with a freaking yo-yo.

Rich M

WKR
I've shot 3 - 1 with a bow without a blind, and 2 w shotgun. Just have no real interest in going and fighting crowds to hunt turkey.

Aside from that - my old man used to love it and after a number of years quit without getting one - he did all this back in the 70s and early 80s before they were as common as pigeons. I spent plenty of time in the woods chasing them with him as a kid - maybe that's why it isn't a big deal to me.

Rather go fishing.

I enjoy turkey hunting. I started the first year there was a general season in Idaho. We used to drive several hundred miles to get to the birds. I’ve also hunted them in Oregon, Washington and several mid-western states.

I don’t enjoy hunting yard birds on private property. Mountain turkeys on the other hand are something else. I hike the ridge tops and call. Then close the distance and call them in. Beautiful weather, low pressure, easy to pack out, good to eat.

They are challenging with a bow off the ground, but relatively easy out of a ground blind if you can take the boredom. I’ve been using a single shot 410 for the last 5 years. Really enjoy the lightweight and the challenge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where in Oregon have you hunted them? I'm heading up in a few weeks from California hoping to kill one up there!